1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Michigan CPL traveling through Florida AMMO question??

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  SCS1911 
#1 ·
I have a Michigan CPL … I'm traveling down to Florida for a bit...
a work buddy told me that Reciprocity laws in Florida state that Hollow Point Ammo is illegal to carry in Florida if you are a out of state CPL holder, even though there is Reciprocity between the states ...
I cannot find any information to confirm this ….
Has anyone else heard of this ??
I've been traveling South and CC'ing for years ..

I'm fine using FMJ but would prefer my JHP's...

Thanks ...

#3 ·
The person who gave you that advice is incorrect. Reciprocity in Florida is governed by CRS 790.015 - Nonresidents who are United States citizens and hold a concealed weapons license in another state; reciprocity.

Subsection 2 states:
(2) A nonresident is subject to the same laws and restrictions with respect to carrying a concealed weapon or concealed firearm as a resident of Florida who is so licensed.

Ammunition that is prohibited by law in Florida is outlined in Section 790.31
790.31 Armor-piercing or exploding ammunition or dragon’s breath shotgun shells, bolo shells, or flechette shells prohibited.—

Former Florida Resident and Gun Store Flunky.
Not a lawyer.
I'd suggest you carry the JHP you are comfortable with.

#5 ·
I have a Michigan CPL … I'm traveling down to Florida for a bit...
a work buddy told me that Reciprocity laws in Florida state that Hollow Point Ammo is illegal to carry in Florida if you are a out of state CPL holder, even though there is Reciprocity between the states ...
I cannot find any information to confirm this ….
Has anyone else heard of this ??
I've been traveling South and CC'ing for years ..

I'm fine using FMJ but would prefer my JHP's...

Thanks ...
Your buddy is either pulling your leg or he’s a fool

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.