1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Deo Volente
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard a while back that microfiber detail/polishing cloths were a great thing for wiping down your firearms after cleaning. I went and looked at Ace Hardware and they were running about $5-6 bucks apiece. In the immortal words of Bender, Meh...

Well NAPA has a special on a pack of three microfiber detail cloths that are a little bigger than your average wash cloth for $1.99 and part of the proceeds go to the Fallen Heros Fund.

This is pretty much a win/win proposition! :)

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,003 Posts
I use old white t-shirts that have gotten worn out.

Reactions: Kip

·
Deo Volente
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tons of rags, but the microfiber cloths aren't supposed to scratch finishes.

·
Fun O' Meter on FULL
6,003 Posts
Guess if I was worried about scratching my finishes, I wouldn't carry them. But, if you've got a prized safe queen you only break out once in awhile, I can see that being a concern.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I used to use old t-shirts until I came across bulk packs of microfiber cloths at Sam's Club. I think it was like $7 for 10 of them.
I grabbed 3 out of the package and keep them with my gun cleaning supplies.
I use Renaissance Wax on all of my blued collectible guns and final wipe with microfiber. I then use that cloth for a quick wipe any time I handle the guns.
Another has been used on the modern pistols and has accumulated bits of various gun oils; Slick 2000, CLP, Hoppe's, Weapon Shield, etc. Again, great for a quick wipe on their way into the safe.
The microfiber works extremely well for lint-free wipe down before photos.

I still use old t-shirts and cleaning patches for cleaning... microfiber for the final wipe.

·
Deo Volente
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess if I was worried about scratching my finishes, I wouldn't carry them. But, if you've got a prized safe queen you only break out once in awhile, I can see that being a concern.
20160305_121104 (2016_04_01 20_27_59 UTC).jpg

I have a couple of really nice pistols, and at this point I only carry one. The one above is what I would call my safe queen and it deserves the best treatment. The photo doesn't do the pistol and the engraving justice! :cool:

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,980 Posts
Costco has them in yellow, many to a package for a few bucks.

Reactions: Colorado Sonny

·
Deo Volente
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glasses are everywhere, bought the Costco pack. In my line of work sometimes you need glasses and a loupe to look at micro printing! :geek:

·
Deo Volente
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked up the microfiber cloths at Costco and you can get 12-16"X16" cloths for $43.59 Not a bad deal, but how many do you need?

Of course I did something bad at Costco and bought a 47" Samsung TV to replace my 32" CRT for $400 including free shipping. Go Broncos!? o_O

·
Deo Volente
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't make another trip to Costco!!! They're gettin' your good "gun loot"!!!
I did the bad thing on the computer! Costco is a 75 mile round trip!

·
Make it a double
16,772 Posts
I looked up the microfiber cloths at Costco and you can get 12-16"X16" cloths for $43.59 Not a bad deal, but how many do you need?

Of course I did something bad at Costco and bought a 47" Samsung TV to replace my 32" CRT for $400 including free shipping. Go Broncos!? o_O
Dang, that's a great deal on the TV. I don't even have a football team anymore, so Go Cards! I've thought about those cloths for washing and drying my car. I guess they would work well for that. Never really thought about the gun uses. Hmm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts