Midway Gun Stories: M9 vs 1911

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by knedrgr, Oct 19, 2011.

1. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Watching today's Midway USA's Gun Stories on the Beretta 92 (M9) and how it took over the 1911's service pistol title.

I wonder if Shipwreck was watching and was fondling his Berettas... :lol:

2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Yep, bet he was! The Beretta is my third favorite pistol.

3. Craig19

Craig19 Member

Aug 18, 2011
    The Beretta is great pistol. If the military is going to stay with 9mm, I see no need to switch anytime soon.

4. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    By the time Hope & Change is done, the military will be lucky if they are issued any weapons. JMO

claire

5. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Hope and Change? Is that a new sitcom on NBC?

6. gumby

gumby Active Member

Sep 6, 2011
  7. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I'll have to catch that episode. Been a gret series so far.

8. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I'm hoping it get's cancelled/dropped in 2012.

9. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I was referring to the Midway Gun Stories series and I hope it does not get cancelled in 2012. As for the hope and change blathering idiot twins series, currently airing in D.C., I very much "hope" that it "changes".

10. kvtcomdo

kvtcomdo Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Hope and Change in 2012 and M9 vs 1911

Agree completely that the hope and change needs to be cancelled in 2012, don't forget to vote.:biggrin1:

As to the M9 vs 1911. The military was getting a lot of heat from NATO to standardize the caliber
    and the 1911's on hand were on their 4th or 5th rebuild. No new 1911's had been purchased since WWII.

I'm sure you are familiar with the infamous testing which basically came down to the Barretta and the Sig P226.

I've heard stories that the Sig really won the trials but cost per unit and the unwillingness of Sig to
    build them here (at first) were the major sticking points that favored Barretta over Sig.

I find it intersting that the Special Ops units of all branches ,when given a choice of service pistol always pick the 1911's.

I love my Barretta, and my Sig P226. But I love my 1911's even better.:hail:

Just my $.02

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  11. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    I hate the Berretta, as do most other Marines in my unit. I'd take a 1911 or a Sig, even a Glock or XD over a Berretta. :puke:

12. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Beretta Fanatic

Aug 18, 2011
    I actually missed that - I did tape the one a couple of weeks ago about the Beretta 92FS. But honestly, there was so much NOT in the show. The episode really didn't even get into that much.

If there was another episode with more info, I missed it...

13. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I like the Berretta a lot, but I always manage to fudge up the safety system when I shoot one. I am just not used to it.

I would like it a lot more if I could switch the different variants like you can an HK.

14. asiparks

asiparks Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    the Taurus PT 92, whilst not the same as the HK, does have a frame mounted "up for safe, down to decock" thumb safety. I've got both and much prefer the Taurus.

I don't know a lot of SOF, but the few I do prefer the Sig 226 over the 1911

15. Shipwreck

Aug 18, 2011
    Well, read this: http://archive.gao.gov/d4t4/130439.pdf

There is so many "stories" of how things were chosen and misrepresentations by people who "claim" they were on the ranges when the testing was done, that too much misinformation is accepted as fact now...

16. Shipwreck

Aug 18, 2011
    I personally HATE taurus. But many guys on various forums have commented about the current made Taurus 92s. It seems that the thumb safety on current made Taurus 92s flick off way too easily for cocked and locked carry. Older models seem to have a bit stiffer safety. However, unless you carry cocked and locked - the location of the safety is really a non issue, IMHO.

I've owned many HKs of many models, and I very rarely kept them cocked and locked.

But, I'll take a Beretta any day of the week over a Taurus :)

I looked at several Taurus 92s in the 1990s. They couldn't even put the white paint for the sights into the dot depressions. All 3 dots were NEXT to the dot depression. Gun was a rattle trap too.

17. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Beretta needs to bring back the Elites, and some of the other special ones they have done.

18. Shipwreck

Aug 18, 2011
    Yes indeed. Word is (for years now) that Berett changed their tooling and computer programs. Apparently, someone would have to re-enter the specs on a brigadier slide to make them again. And,m they just use the excuse that they don't have the manpower tod o so.

Admittedly, that's BS, but they coast on the military contracts, so I guess there isn't much incentive....

19. kvtcomdo

kvtcomdo Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Military tests

Unsure of the implication but will take it at face value.

Read it and, as we know, the govt. always gets it right.:puke:

Still does not exclude the ? of the P226. Many gun rags at the time stated that the 226 was in the finals.

The link you offer was just a govt. attempt to chastize the DOD for not giving fair play to the
    American based manufacturer.

Seen this before; the Armies acceptance of the Krag drew the ire of many as our first smokeless rifle
    when it was felt no American based companies were given fair access.

What can one say?:biggrin1:

20. kvtcomdo

kvtcomdo Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Berretta

Don't hate it but I feel you brother.
    Army 1972-1980.:thumb:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted