Military surplus.45acp ammo for sale.

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Mike A, Oct 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    Does anyone have a line on where I can buy non corrosive US made Military
    .45acp ammo? Boxes or a Can would be what I am looking for.

Thanks Mike.

2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    How much and a specific age you’re looked good for?

3. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    Well Bender I just know I want noncorrosive & need to know what is available. Boxes or a
    Can it all depends on how much is for sale & the $$$. It's hard to believe that I can
    buy M2 ball, 7.62 & 5.56 Nato but there is no more Military .45 acp left. I thought where
    better to ask than 1911 Addicts.

I could be too late to the party,& it's all gone but I have to ask to find out

4. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Are you wanting some to shoot or collect?

5. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    One reason there may not be as much out there is this.

https://taskandpurpose.com/winchester-will-supply-ammo-armys-new-service-pistol/

US is including the ammunition in the award process now for the weapon along with logistics support. This is common in other parts of the military to have a complete logistical and support contract. Military aerospace has been going this way for many years.

IMI makes good mil spec type ammo but the days of cheap military surplus US military ammo for the 45 are gone forever.

6. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    I believe that IMI makes TZZ but where is it to be found?

7. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    I’ll dig through my stash this evening

8. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Very good question... From what I can find now IMI no longer loads this ammo because IDF no longer has any 45acp weapons in service. The US military contracts they had are long over. So seems this ins not a viable source any longer for 45acp.

9. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    I didn’t see an answer to this question. I was interested in what the answer might be.

Mike A likes this.
  10. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    Well I will answer it. I carry a Colt 1911 Commander with 2 spare Mags.
    Since I feel that the 230 grain FMJ Ball ammo is my choice for defense &
    I believe it will feed reliably. Of all the ammo available in 230 FMJ I trust
    Military ammunition most, with my life on the line that is.

I am sure that being raised in the US Army for my first 16 years & being a
    High Power Competitor for better than 25 years. We shot a boatload of
    7.62 NATO for practice reloads for Matches. No issues it shot great.
    I want to carry what I trust & believe will work in a life & death, just as I
    would in a Combat situation.

So far I can see that trying to buy Military Surplus .45acp ammo is not an easy task.
    Givin this observation I can only conclude that shooting any Military surplus .45acp
    ammo would be nuts. :o.o::confused::eek:

I did obtain a Box of 20 cartridges made for the Military back in 1912 that has Cupro Nickle
    clad bullets & was loaded with Hercules Bullseye powder. I would never shoot them for two
    reasons first they are corrosive & second being made in 1912 they may be collectable.

Just a side note. I wonder what CMP will tell all those buyers of the Surplus 1911s
    when they ask for some cheep mil surplus 45acp ammo. Just a thought as I have bought
    thousands of rounds M2 Ball to use in my DCM Garand. I got my M1 through DCM not CMP.
    Who knows maybe CMP will find some of that rare old .45acp ammo who knows. :)

Dallas Knight likes this.
  11. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    So it sounds like you were originally looking to buy milsup 45ACP to shoot as defensive ammo in your EDC.

Guess I’m not overly surprised that 45ACP military supplies are (or have) dried up since the Beretta 9mm took over 30+ years ago (with the short lived exception of the Marines Colt M45 run).

So lacking the milsup route, what manufacturer do you carry presently? (Is it +P ammo?)

12. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    I am now using the Federal 230 gr FMJ std pressure load.
    Talking pressure & defense loads. My other carry gun is a Ruger Speed Six with 2&3/4" BBL.
    It is a 357 magnum & will light up the night & blind you with a Federal 125gr 357 mag load.
    Just lately I started with the Federal 38specal +P HST Micro round. It uses a 130 gr jacketed
    Wad cutter in HST Micro format. They are $26.00 for 20 so I have only tried 8 of them. They
    have very little flash at night & provide a very quick second shot. Through 4 layers of blue jeans the open real nice in Ballistic Gelatin. 854 fps over the Chrony.

One main reason I like the 1911 for defense is you can have a controllable pistol that will
    get the job done. Before the new Federal load I just saw no way to use a 38 special even
    a +P load.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted