1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This build has gone on for a little while, actually if you add in the time, I spent looking for a single stack Colt 9mm 1911 in Kalifornia its been a very long time! About two or three years ago I finally laid my hands on a NIB current production gold cup. I know the GC is not the ideal base gun, the sight cuts for one reason, but being in Kali one has to make sacrifices unfortunately.

I was extremely fortunate that at the time @pistolwretch had some time and agreed to install a Chen Gen 2 magwell on the gun and fit his grips. I don't think that I have to say anything about how incredible Chuck's work is or how thankful that I am that he could squeeze this in for me. The Gen 2 is my favorite magwell I think, I really prefer the welded on magwell option and that with the Rogers grips give the gun both grip and a little bit of an edgy look, something a GC needs in my opinion.

I sent the gun to Jim to build out the gun. Initial thoughts were to keep it in the sleeper category and use Harrison sights as he is one of the few who makes an option for the GC cut. But as time passed while waiting for the build to commence I picked up a Staccato with an RDS and ran it in several classes. I found the benefits of the RDS, so I reached back out to Jim to discuss and we agreed to a change. We kept the Harrison Gold Bead front sight but we sent the slide off to Nighthawk to be milled and have their IOS plate system installed. This resolved the rear sight cut issue perfectly. Additionally I have the Novak iron sight plate for a more sleeper / discrete look. Jim went over and above in terms of fitting and blending the iron sight plate, I will take photos of that set up later, but it looks perfect! In terms of the rest of the build - Only the Frame, Slide and Trigger remain from Colt, everything else was replaced.

1. Fit Kart Barrel
  2. Weld frame up for proper slide fit
  3. EGW FLGR
  4. EGW Slide Stop with HRT treatment
  5. Wilson BP Magazine Release
  6. EGW Grip Safety
  7. EGW Ambi safety with right side trimmed
  8. EGW ignition sustem
  9. Two tuned and fitted Wilson BP extractors
  10. Harrison Gold Bead front sight
  11. Nighthawk IOS
  12. Holosun RDS
  13. Full DLC on the gun and barrel

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Air gun Everyday carry Gun barrel Hunting knife Gun accessory

Automotive design Automotive tire Auto part Personal protective equipment Machine

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun Gun accessory

Motor vehicle Camera accessory Bumper Automotive tire Automotive design

Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Gas Automotive mirror

Automotive tire Grille Synthetic rubber Bumper Carbon

Tool Hunting knife Hand tool Saw Pipe wrench

Hand tool Saw Tool Pipe wrench Bumper

Saw Automotive lighting Tool Motor vehicle Handgun holster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
Amazing build Simon! I have a Colt in with him that will be getting DLC and I can’t wait for him to build it. Love the Gen2 and optics on this one. Congrats

·
Registered
573 Posts

·
born in the wrong century
8,281 Posts
Hellsyeah !!!!

You are going to thoroughly enjoy this Gold Cup. It's gonna run like a champ fo-eva.

Red dot goodness on a tackdriver in the hands of a sure 'nuff shooter.

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So got this out today to the range, being a Saturday I wasn't able to spend as much time there as I would have liked and had a few guns that I had to check the sights on. That being said, ran 75-100 rounds through her - combination of Win white box 115, my reloads 115 & 125's, gobbled them all up. No malfunctions, no issues, beautiful little group on the target from 25 yards. Destined to join the ranks of my favorites.

·
born in the wrong century
8,281 Posts
So got this out today to the range, being a Saturday I wasn't able to spend as much time there as I would have liked and had a few guns that I had to check the sights on. That being said, ran 75-100 rounds through her - combination of Win white box 115, my reloads 115 & 125's, gobbled them all up. No malfunctions, no issues, beautiful little group on the target from 25 yards. Destined to join the ranks of my favorites.

Sounds like a rewarding range trip. (y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts