1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I do not consent.
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This video is about repairing one of the small mills that are common in gunsmith shops, hobbyist garages, etc. The mill is a popular brand-name of Asian mfg, and what interested me is the wide variation in supplied replacement parts.

This is kinda long at 25 min. I watch quite a few videos on this channel. This is not a commentary, comparison, critique, analysis, recommendation or anything else. It just shows how things are when our equipment breaks and I found it interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
The Tinker
3,789 Posts
I think I read a thread about this on the hobby machinists forum.

Matt at PM is really good people. He doesn't design or build the machines he sells, but he does try to make everything right when/if something breaks on a machine he sells.

EDIT: Actually, Matt does make a number of design decisions on the lathes and mills he sells. The folks in China and Taiwan will make anything you want. To whatever quality level you want. All it takes is money.

But then you get the clowns who come along and want to pay $2k for a $8k lathe and complain about how the higher quality machine 'costs too much'. So then they go out and buy a cheap(ly) built lathe and then cry their eyes out when it doesn't work right or breaks. Some people... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hi,
The last ship I worked on before retirement, had a big 16" lathe from Sweden on it.

I can't remember the name, but it was a quality lathe that would do anything you wanted.

However when I went aboard, the jaws for the chuck was mismatched, the feed was screwy and a few other things, I was able to set right or tune so we could actually use it.

When you go to a new job and your the "new guy", everyone is wondering what you are going to bring to the table, so to speak.

Time after time, my Home Shop machinist hobby, helped me make a living in the real World!

·
The Tinker
3,789 Posts
Hi,
The last ship I worked on before retirement, had a big 16" lathe from Sweden on it.

I can't remember the name, but it was a quality lathe that would do anything you wanted.

However when I went aboard, the jaws for the chuck was mismatched, the feed was screwy and a few other things, I was able to set right or tune so we could actually use it.

When you go to a new job and your the "new guy", everyone is wondering what you are going to bring to the table, so to speak.

Time after time, my Home Shop machinist hobby, helped me make a living in the real World!
Machinists Mate? :)

·
Registered
978 Posts
Machinists Mate? :)
Hi,
At the end of my career, I was a 2nd Assist. Engineer Unlimited.

Machining, brazing, welding and knowing how to fabricate, were all good skills to have under your belt and came in handy on the job!

Now, it's just Honey Do's and working in my shop...

Which is just fine with me!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts