1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's time to update my vision correction prescription and need some input from some of you guys that have a similar set up. (EDIT - I wear contacts not hard lens).

I have one prescription for my right eye for crisp focus on the front sight. I bring my slide into the exam and hold it out to the correct distance and have the doc change focus until the front site has absolutely crisp clarity.

Naturally I have a different prescription for my left eye for crisp distance clarity. That's easy, just a standard eye exam.

My question is about the focal distance for my right eye. Do I set it up to precisely focus on the front sight or some distance just beyond the front site....should the right eye contribute anything to the distance clarity? I hope I stated that in a way that makes sense.

How do you guys set it up?

I'm going to be in and out all day and will check in and respond when I can....thanks in advance.

·
I like this place !
679 Posts
After many, many trials including lenses to focus on front sight, one lense for front sight and another for distance, wearing my blended everyday glasses, and most recently contact lenses.....what has worked best for me is wearing my blended glasses, plus a multi focal contact lense on my dominant (right) eye. What’s interesting is I cannot shoot with just my blended glasses, can’t hit anything. When I added the contact lense the front sight jumped out and I can see at distances. Weird....but it worked for me.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm interested also. I wear cheaters to read for the most part. Have a pair of progessive lens glasses and cant get use to them. I can see distance clear enough without them but cannot focus front sight. I was looking at SSP eyewear and they recomend a focus for there lenses using a pencil to focus on the tip at arms length. I dont know if this will help. Good luck, i will be watching to see what others say.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might try a bi focal in my dominant right eye....lower half for front site...upper half for distance to support my left eye

·
Registered
58 Posts
Went through the same issues but for shooting glasses. Look at Morgan Optical website. Then give Wayne Morgan a call at 800-594-0175 (have your current prescription available). I will tell you that your approach of the one eye focused on the front sight and the other set to far field will be disorienting! Wayne can fix you up!!

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I use the SSP in the lowest power, 1.5 I believe. Works very well for front sight acquisition with minimal target distortion. Had Lasik 7 years ago for distance.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had a pair or glasses made for shooting. Right eye focus on front sight, left eye on distance. They worked great for shooting pistol. After about 10 minutes I forgot I had them on. About half the time I forgot to take them off till I was driving home then I noticed them. I recently had my cataracts removed and had multi focus lenses put in but I haven't had a chance to shoot since. I'm looking forward to it tho.
Also had astigmatism corrected.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
............. I recently had my cataracts removed and had multi focus lenses put in but I haven't had a chance to shoot since. I'm looking forward to it tho.......
Eye doc said I'm too old for lasik and suggested that eventually everyone develops cataracts. Said after lens replacement I would still require "reading" glasses.

this thread has some great answers...will review it all and come up with a plan. Would be great to get a real world walking around solution that also works at the range...maybe that doesn't exist...we'll see. Thanks all....

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have an eye exam scheduled for Feb 15th with an optometrist who specializes in prescribing for the shooting sports. I wear bifocals (progressives) and have astigmatism.......I'm not sure what he will recommend, but I am willing to try whatever (contacts or glasses). I have tried contacts before but it did not end up well......willing to try again......getting old sucks folks, don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.....

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
Eye doc said I'm too old for lasik and suggested that eventually everyone develops cataracts. Said after lens replacement I would still require "reading" glasses.

this thread has some great answers...will review it all and come up with a plan. Would be great to get a real world walking around solution that also works at the range...maybe that doesn't exist...we'll see. Thanks all....
Had cataract surgery, both eyes. I need readers for both eyes to read and for computer, but shoot pistols in daylight uncorrected.

In competitions.

·
I do not consent.
1,422 Posts
Had my semi-annual eye exam last month. I asked doc about mixing two single-vision lenses in one pair of glasses. He said we could try it but I'd have to wear that combo all the time or it would give me problems.

I have not yet decided to do this but still thinking about it. I did try progressive bifocals once tho and hated it, so I dunno.

Today I have computer or "work" glasses and shooting glasses which use the same mid-distance crx, I wear them a lot and can get by in a pinch using them for distance.

But when I am out in the real world I'm not wearing them - I'm wearing glasses with a heavy crx for distance which totally ruins my front sight focus. Worse, ditching the glasses in a pinch is about the same as becoming functionally blind. I may have to choose a hard bifocal at some point just for this issue.

There's just no good answer because we're nowhere near having an adaptive-focus replacement or correction lens for the human eye. But I am interested in what experience any of you have if you try the dominant-near/weak-far corrective lens combo.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts

With my new lenses I can see everything but do still need cheaters for fine print. I can read news print if the light is good. Cost quite a bit tho. I think I'll be able to see everything at the range. I can see the front sights on pistol as well as rifle.
Check out Synphony lenses.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I had cataract surgery in July, and need a +2.25 for reading fine print, and a 1.5 for computer use. At the range I went with the full lens safety glasses (amazon, see link) in one of the weakest prescriptions they offer +1.00. It makes the front sights on my pistols crisp and the target a "little" blurry. Best Ive come up with for now.
I MAY also try a set of these and swap lenses with a standard pair. IE use the +100 in my dominant eye and a non magnifier in the other eye...... Just need to quit working so much that I have time to go shooting.

when I'm due to get my eyes checked again this summer, I'm also going to ask about contacts that are multi-focal. I had tried them before the surgery but they never worked for me.

I also only went with single vision implants due to the extra costs of multi-focal implants, and I didn't want mono vision (1 eye near, and one for distance). I ride a motorcycle and the thought of looking one way and missing something important (car) is a no go...….

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KSJNLO0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went and picked up a different right eye contact yesterday to move the focal distance out a bit...will head to the woods this week end to see how it works. I'm thinking the walking around solution will be a compromise...Will try a few of the solutions suggested. The range solution appears straight forward.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm 65 and can't see distance or up close. I was wearing contacts for distance vision and readers for up close stuff. I had to shoot with my readers on to see the front sight and it was a pain. I even bought a pair of safety glasses with 2.00 correction and it was still a pain. About a year ago, I went to a different optometrist and when I started describing my issue with shooting, he knew exactly what I was talking about. He has clients who are in law enforcement and the military who have similar issues. He prescribed me contacts with different prescriptions. The right contact is for up close and the left for distance. I did have to get the script for the right one tweaked a little and it took a couple of days to get used to them, but they are awesome. It's amazing how well I can see without wearing glasses.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
This has been a real struggle for me the last few years.
My left eye is much worse than the right. Can’t see well out of either w/o glasses.
I wear progressive lenses full time.

I spent a small fortune and several months going back and forth on contacts and combinations contacts/glasses only to give up and go back to glasses only.

Now I’m using my every day progressive glasses but I can’t quite get the front sight in focus using the top of the lens.

I do wear a compromise set of lenses that puts the sights almost in focus and the target isn’t too blurry, but then if I need to read something or make an adjustment I have to swap lenses. That’s a pain when the firing line is hot and I’m wearing muffs.

It’s a pain and I feel for all of you going through this as well.

·
Banned
593 Posts
Have you tried full frame magnified lenses? They are the only thing that works well for me. And, I get these from Amazon and they are cheap and work great. I emphasize here FULL FRAME because most of the magnified shooting/safety glasses only have a corner or lower half magnified and I them horrible to try to use.

These have most of the lens magnified, as you can see in the image below.

Various diopter magnifications.

Screenshot 2019-02-03 at 2.04.30 PM.png

1 - 20 of 37 Posts