modification of SA loaded model 1911

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by littlejake, Feb 23, 2012.

1. littlejake

littlejake Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Hi, new to the forum; old timer with the 1911.

I have a Springfield Armory loaded, parkerized model that I bought new in 2009. I'd like to make 3 modifications.

1) Swap out Titanium firing pin for steel -- I know SA uses a smaller pin. I've mic'ed my pin and got 0.071" at the tip and 0.216" at the two OD discs on the body of the pin. I know SA basically uses a 9mm/.38 auto FP
    -- what pin should I get and what spring? Ed Brown #826? (Brownell's 087-205-826)

2) Swap out the guided recoil spring guides, spring, and barrel spring plug. I think I have the parts for that. Whose recoil spring should I use for .230gr hardball? 18 pound?

3) Swap out the MSH, spring and plunger. Again, an Ed Brown MSH? Wolff mainspring? Mil Spec plunger? Does the SA use a different length hammer strut???

Kindest Regards,

Jake

2. t0kie

t0kie Lock 'n Load

Nov 12, 2011
    Hi Jake, for the MSH check out Smith & Alexander. Do you like the one with magwell or just swap out the ILS with non ILS?

3. littlejake

littlejake Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Hey t0kie -- good to see you. I prefer the classic MSH without the magwell shoe. Also prefer the non-arched (non A1) MSH. Either smooth or cross checked.

ergo, just swap it out; but, I'm concerned that SA might use a different length hammer strut. I know their Main spring is shorter and their plunger is longer to permit the ILS system to lock the plunger.

Ah, I like this one:

[​IMG] Brownells part 849-000-005

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  4. t0kie

t0kie Lock 'n Load

Nov 12, 2011
  5. t0kie

t0kie Lock 'n Load

Nov 12, 2011
    Yes, you'll need to get a diff. Spring for the new MSH. Looks to me the one that you want is arched(correct me if I'm wrong?)?

6. littlejake

littlejake Member

Feb 21, 2012
    They call that one as flat checkered -- but it does seem to have an arch to it. I like the lanyard loop even though I have no use for it.

7. E39

E39 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 15, 2011
    I have a Loaded in black stainless.

1. Yes, it's the 826. You may find an extra-extra-power firing pin spring as stock. Use a Wolff extra-power and you'll be fine (I've done this mod, although there's nothing wrong with the titanium pin).
    2. I swapped out the FLGR for an Ed Brown GI guide rod and plug. My Loaded had about a 14.5# recoil spring and I used a Wolff 16#. I then went to an 18.5# and had a lot of FTF and FTE. Just went back to the 16# but haven't been to the range yet to see if it cured anything. I normally use 230 gr FMJ and the 16# is fine for those loads.
    3. I swapped out the ILS with a WC speed chute. Had to do some fitting. I'd recommend the S&A unit. I used a Wolff 23# mainspring. I also bought a WC 19# mainspring but I have never used it. Had no issues with the swap (other than my own stupidity). Buy a pin kit and it will have the the correct cap and retaining pin you will need. Kruzr is correct that the SA ILS is proprietary and you shouldn't try to use any of the parts.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  8. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Sorry, littlejake but you are getting some questionable information here. Springfield's use proprietary sized firing pin. It is bigger than a 9mm and smaller than a .45. You want to order an Ed Brown or an EGW 0.075" firing pin.

The SA MSH has a proprietary mainspring cap and spring. To get rid of it, you need a regular mainspring, a normal mainspring cap and a mainspring cap retaining pin.

I would stick with the 16# spring that comes with the gun no matter what guide rod you choose. If you shoot hotter or weaker than normal factory loads, then consider changing to a different spring.

9. Kruzr

Kruzr Hangin' In Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
  10. X-Mark

X-Mark New Member

Dec 28, 2011
    The stock strut will work fine...

11. littlejake

littlejake Member

Feb 21, 2012
    That's what I was looking for!

12. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    S&A mainspring housings are of questionable quality. They fit extremely loose in just about any frame you try them in, and the checkering is "as cast" not machined into the part.
    If you want a nice checkered housing, check out Ed Brown or Wilson. They fit more snug, and the checkering is sharp and well done. The finish quality is also a major step up from S&A.

Just our experience in installing literally hundreds of these things.

13. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I've had great luck with Nighthawk MSH in Springfields.
    I would have selected a Brown, but they were out of stock.

14. littlejake

littlejake Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I have an Ed Brown 816S Blue Snakeskin MSH inbound. Will use the Wolff 16# recoil spring with a GI type guide and spring cap. Ordered a MSH rebuild kit from Brownells to get the small parts for the MSH assembly and will use a Wolff 23# mainspring. Also, Ed Brown 826 FP inbound and will use the Wolff extra power FP spring.

15. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    I'll offer you a piece of advice. From someone that works on 1911's every day, if you are going to shoot 230g ball ammo, use the 18 or 18.5lb recoil spring.

16. littlejake

littlejake Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I finished the swaps I wanted to make. Ed Brown MSH with a 23# MS. Ed Brown 826 FP with a Wilson Combat Extra Power FP spring. Stainless Steel GI type guide with a GI type recoil spring plug. 18.5# recoil spring from Wilson. The swap was easy. But, it seems a bit "stiff" with the 23# MS and 18.5# recoil spring when compared to before I worked on it. On the other hand, it feels more like the 1911A1 USGI .45 I recall from 40+ years ago.

EDIT *** Had to swap the MS with a WC 19#. Trigger pull was too great. With a 19# it comes in at 7# trigger pull.
    Also had to swap the 18.5# recoil spring with a WC 16# to get 100% function with Speer Lawman 230gr FMJ ammo. ***

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted