Dan Wesson More of the Same with a little twist.

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Integrity Arms, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Valor Commander SS 007.JPG Well next project is another SS valor. But, a Commander in 9mm this time. After some tweaking to my mill this gun will almost mirror the one I just done, minus a few details and plus a few others. I will try to stay a little more on top of this one with before and after pics.. But, my photos stink so bad I've been waitin[​IMG]g till the end and try to post just a few good ones. lol But, here is a before.. without any afters yet.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    UBOATDOC, Journeyman1234, Kip and 7 others like this.
  2. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Stan Chen had better watch out! ;)

Gimpster, FredZ, Steve Owens and 3 others like this.

3. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I will probably never achieve that level of expertise at my age but I do have a Stan Chen Gen II magwell that may go on a future 5" SS Valor. ;)

4. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Well, I guess I didn't keep up with this like I said I would, that's what happens when you get busy I guess. lol. But, here is a few photos of some of the progress. Valor Commander trigger guard.jpg Valor Commander Front.jpg Valor Commander Top of slide.jpg Valor Commander Flush rear.jpg

5. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Hoping the rain stops enough tomorrow for a test run, but I already know of two things I must do before I take it out to get it to run, so gonna nail those items down in the AM then run into town after a box of ammo and head back to shoot it before bead blasting.

6. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Initial test drive was a success, off to get some 124gr. Make sure it runs those then will be off to the blast cabinet over the weekend.

7. KTXdm9

KTXdm9 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Ooh, shiny. Commander in 9mm might be my favorite flavor of DW.

Steve Owens likes this.
  8. A45GUNNER

A45GUNNER Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Looks good man! Keep the pictures comin

9. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Next set of photos will be the Finish photos LOL

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  10. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Well 124gr test drive was also a success... Just waiting on the challis bushings and screws.. then its' off to the blasting cabinet. Just a touch more prep on tear down, a good cleaning before the cabinet. I just like to be putting her totally back together once blasted. If the accuracy without the sights is any indications how accurate this pistol is going to be, it is going to be a real accurate shooter. The .0005 clearance bushing to barrel makes a ton of difference. But, so far anyway this thing runs like a 67' GTO with a .400 drill .060 over.. in other words it's killing it.. Love it when a plan comes together.

ronin11, TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot and WWB like this.
  11. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Valor Commander bead blasted and sights installed, ready for re-assembly and photos.. Will be taking to the local indoor range tomorrow to do a final test drive. If all is successful, then I will be starting to work with my checkering fixture and get in some practice runs on that. Photos to follow later.

ronin11 and TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot like this.
  12. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Steve,
    For me the 'Litmus Test' is the 147gr Federal FMJ rounds.
    They have a medium sized flat meplat.
    If a pistola feeds those well, you're golden (in my humble experience).
    On your checkering fixture, a pic I saw showed support at both ends. How will you high cut and true the front strap?

13. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    There was another modification to the fixture from the last photos I took, 1/2 of an advanced table you could say. This 1/2 of the fixture will allow me to stand up the grip frame to true up the front strap, not sure yet if it will be quite rigid enough to do the high cut at the same time as well, or if I may have to resort to doing that with the frame laying down. Or incorporate the tail stock into the t-block part of the fixture.

When I can get the time to get it set up I'll post some more pics. Still may require a little more modification, but definitely getting there. Thanks for the advice on the 147. I'll pick some of those up tomorrow, if I can find a box, this little rinky dink town, can be a little rough on the specialty shopper. For instance I could not find a HSS 1/4-20 tap anywhere yesterday and U went to 4 stores including an ace hardware.. Thanks again, I'll share those pics over the next several days. Rigidity, is going to be the true test I have a 1/2 and a 5/8 x 3-1/2 cutting edge ball mill, but we will see lol.

14. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Just a bit of advice, do not attempt to true the front strap in one cut!
    Do it about 1 inch at a time.
    This also eliminates the need for an end mill with 4" of cutting flute.

ronin11, Kip and Steve Owens like this.
  15. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    1104182013.jpg 1104181705.jpg 1104181657.jpg 1104181656.jpg Some important aspects of a good build is usually never seen. Polishing portions of the pistol where friction can and does occur can increase reliability and function. So, here are some of the parts rarely shown. And of course trigger bow kind of goes without saying.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    ronin11, Kip, WWB and 1 other person like this.
  16. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    That makes a lot of sense honestly didn't think about that. The rigidity should be the last obstacle to over come with this fixture and that may very well solve that problem... Question for ya, I had read quite a few comments, posts and articles on fitting ejectors and it seems the common consensus is to leave the ejector as long as possible. Is this a practice you adhere to, is there anything I need to be aware of by leaving it extra long, as long as it ejects and functions well?

Kip and WWB like this.
  17. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    Very nice work, Steve. Seems like I miss just a couple of days and you’ve got another pistol 90% complete. I really like the detail photos. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UBOATDOC and Steve Owens like this.
  18. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I'll have those up a bit later tonight, I'm waiting on some challis bushings and screws I thought would already be here. But, gonna use a spare set of plain ones I got here to get some grips on and get photos later. Then will switch out when they get here. Hoping they are here tomorrow. I waited on em last time too. lol

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot and WWB like this.
  19. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Not real sure where all the dust come from, but was already together and photos taken.. I have got to get better with this camera for sure. But, anyway here it is.. The Valor commander in SS.. I do see a few spots I am going to have to address after the final test firing tomorrow.. But, rest assured if you see em, I see em lol.. Valor Commander SS 001.JPG Valor Commander SS 002.JPG Valor Commander SS 003.JPG Valor Commander SS 004.JPG Valor Commander SS 009.JPG Valor Commander SS 010.JPG Valor Commander SS 011.JPG Valor Commander SS 012.JPG Valor Commander SS 016.JPG Valor Commander SS 014.JPG

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted