In the news Mortal Republic

Discussion in 'Political Outhouse' started by Scaramouche, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    Mortal Republic: How Rome Fell into Tyranny by Edward Watts published this past November.

I have resisted the idea of parallels between the Roman Empire and the American Empire my whole life, still don't really buy into it. But after witnessing the agendas of the Obama administration and now President Trump's call to make Rome great again. I found this book interesting. Not necessarily compelling, but thought provoking.

If this sounds recognizable you might find this book interesting as well; "a small agricultural republic explodes into a global empire and dissolves in a paroxysm of violence driven by gross inequality of wealth and civic status".

I bring this book up as a concerned citizen who has watched his vote, his representation in local, state and federal government diminish alarmingly in the half century I have participated in the process.

{8D742F6E-DFA2-4133-8DDB-838EE2517A73}Img400.jpg

Before you jump please consider the rule of empires and know I understand everything changes, I'm just struggling with the change. Hey, if for nothing else this is a darn interesting book on the Roman Empire and better written than the kind of drivel Alex Jones, Bill O'Reilly or Glenn Beck puts out, you will actually learn something here.
    (apologies ahead of time to them that think the aforementioned are high tone literature)