1911 Firearm Addicts banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
In Therapy, no hope
1,344 Posts
Ear and eye protection would be on the top of the list. Training as others have mentioned. Your training is only the first step, take lots of notes and practice your skills often. Once a year will not cut it.
lots of mags, and read the manual, seek more info on your firearm.
Of course use this forum always for your info when needed!!
Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
1. Pistol
2. Ammo .. if you plan to shoot it
3. Carry case .. although the box it came in will be fine
4. Gun cleaner .. although kerosene and some oil will work fine
5. Safety glasses and hearing protection .. stuff you have in the garage for mowing will work fine
6. Targets .. if you plan to shoot it and want to see how you do
7 ...

I could go on, but the general theme is .. it depends. It depends on what you want to do, how critical different things are for you personally, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,904 Posts
#1 ......... your next pistol

·
Not So-New-Anymore Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Great posts people .... Got a few laughs and a few (Ahh yes That too is important) in either case a newbie reading this will definitely see a theme. And they can shuffle a few of the must-haves to tailor to their specific needs!
And yes maybe getting Ammo before the divine to firearm ownership may be a solid idea nowadays. SHM Still.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Before training....magazines, lots of magazines. Did I mention magazines?
Training
I am presuming knowledge of care and maintenance with appropriate supplies.

Targets, join a club and buy some steel. Two at a time ain't terrible. Wish I had a club local without a wait list.
Learn to shoot!
what’s the necessity of having more than 3-4 mags, i’m still learning

·
Registered
1,812 Posts

Magazines are wearable items. With use they will eventually wear out. Yes, you can replace springs and followers. Once the feed lips go or body goes they are trash can material.

A semi auto handgun without a magazine is a paper weight.

I recommend at least 10 magazines for any gun that takes a magazine.

I own a couple guns where that number is unobtainable, cause the magazines are non-existent. Course they dont get shot much because of the aforementioned paper weight issue.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
More magazines make it convenient at the range. You don’t have to keep loading all the time. I tend to just grab them if I can get a deal on them. On the other hand, with ammo prices being what they are, it sure makes blasting through a bunch of $$$ more convenient too! In some ways it’s like going to a driving range to practice your swing. You buy that big bucket of balls and start swinging that driver. But, you never hit that many tee shots consecutively in an actual round of golf. You need to shake out those others sticks too. I take five mags and try look at my targets after each one to see what they’re telling me about my shooting. It slows me down and let’s me use the reloading time to think about what I can improve on, and what I what to do next. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,336 Posts
What @tarosean said. Except more magazines. And the ammo to fill them, and enough to refill them multiple times.
The more magazines that you take to the range loaded, the better your fingers will feel.

·
Student of the Columbian Exchange
7,867 Posts
Multiple magazines are necessary to enable the gun owner to have some range dedicated mags for the purposes as stated above, as well as 2 or 3 magazines always loaded with defensive, "non practice range" ammo, that your going to want in the gun and/or on your belt when you carry. You'll want to exercise all the magazines in your normal training cycles to assure functionality...but you will learn to keep a couple loaded at all times.

·
Registered
319 Posts
By a ream of copy paper and a sharpe for cheap targets. Some crappy scotch tape to put targets on cardboard and to plug flyers. Even easier than that. Get a black square or circle, whatever, and tape it to the center of the copy paper, then put the rest of the paper in the copier and photocopy your new targets. I did this for my retirees for their requalification and they all shot 80 percent better than the year prior.

Reactions: isialk

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Speaking of mags, it's always nicer to load a bunch at home before the range. Another must have for me is an Uplula mag loader. It works on all my 1911's, Glocks, and the toughest: the Sig P365. Save you a lot of thumb pain!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Agree totally on having lots of magazines, and mine are all stored fully loaded.

However, for a general range session I only take a few. I find if I have a bunch all loaded up, it becomes too easy to just throw lead downrange. I prefer to load them between each drill / string of fire, it forces me to stand back and reflect on how I’m performing, what corrections are needed, etc. It’s a forced mental and physical break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
AMMO, AMMO, and MORE AMMO!!!!!!!!!!!
Shoot one and buy two. Do that for the next twenty years and you will never have to worry about shortages.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Magazines are wearable items. With use they will eventually wear out. Yes, you can replace springs and followers. Once the feed lips go or body goes they are trash can material.

A semi auto handgun without a magazine is a paper weight.

I recommend at least 10 magazines for any gun that takes a magazine.

I own a couple guns where that number is unobtainable, cause the magazines are non-existent. Course they dont get shot much because of the aforementioned paper weight issue.
This and you can never have enough when they come for you.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
Speaking of mags, it's always nicer to load a bunch at home before the range. Another must have for me is an Uplula mag loader. It works on all my 1911's, Glocks, and the toughest: the Sig P365. Save you a lot of thumb pain!
I'd be dead in the water with out my Uplula. I can't believe the poor saps at the range loading by hand. A great Christmas present for real good friends.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Forget the cleaning kits. 99% of my cleaning and lubing is accomplished with:

1) Q Tips
2) A giant sack of bore patches from Amazon that I got 5 years ago
3) A bottle of Hoppes #7 from some store that sells it
4) Rags
5) New (not used) oil leftover from whatever vehicle I just did the oil on
6) An old toothbrush.

I didn't consider carry "insurance" until years of practice, training, and carry, when I felt competent enough to actually use it in a situation. And then, I felt like ACLDN was the right fit for what I was trying to protect.

Comfortable earpro and glasses for various range conditions.

Enough mags to not have to swap carry and range ammo for guns that see double duty.
So, you don't use a bore brush?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts