1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
393 Posts
All good info guys thx...it is tough to decide for sure. I think that most of us would agree that reliability problems sometimes get blamed on the gun when the magazine might have actually caused the issue. Most guys on here know that I think. I'm no expert with 1911s but learned that early on from trial and error, and then later on forums like this.

·
CEO of DILLIGAF industries
8,588 Posts
I don't own an unreliable 1911 . I've got Wilsons , Kimbers , a Citadel , SA . Owned many over the years only one that gave me issues was a Colt Gold Cup NM series 70 . That was many years ago , purchased new , wish I'd have kept it and got it put right . At that time Colt's warranty dealer was useless and there was no other gunsmith in the area . Now I know a lot more about 1911s and probably could handle it myself .

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Joe Chambers is a highly regarded pistol smith. I'm sure you'd be satisfied with his pistols and their reliability.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,833 Posts
I've bought lots of new 1911s - Colts, Springfields, Baers, Browns - and even more used ones. I haven't had any function issues with any of my new 1911s, no issues with the used ones either except for one or two off brand guns.
Lube them properly and shoot them. Easy peasy.
Colorfulness Yellow Line Amber Purple

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Talking factory guns, like others have said, I have had zero issues over the past 25 years with any of my Colt's or Kimber's out of the box.

Only manufacturer that I have had issues (3 for 3) has been Springfield, EMP and 2 loaded models all in 9mm, all jam o matics. EMP went back to the factory more than once and still wouldnt run, had a smith go through it top to bottom to get it to work properly. The loaded I have still is waiting its turn to hit the smith's bench.

Reactions: FWoo45

·
Registered
637 Posts
Metro Arms. The one I bought was from Century Arms (now sold by a different company, I want to say Eagle Arms). Philippines made (not Rock Island), it came with a slip that everyone who worked on it had to sign off on. Worked 100% right out of the box, NO "break in" needed, truly excellent trigger pull! As good or better than some of the custom guns I've seen.

Got to say my Taurus .38 Super has been excellent as well. Everyone (who usually hasn't shot one, but knows someone who knows someone who might have seen one...) trashes them, but the ones I've had have been excellent. I've had a slug of Colts go through my hands in the 1970's.

Worst 1911? Kimber hands down. Total junk.
I second that on the Metro have a 5in really smooth great trigger and no issues . Even shoots lead SWC out of no name 15 round mags purchased from the gunshow

·
Banned
393 Posts
Just buy what ya can afford and shoot it. If that is an expensive custom or a RIA shoot it and enjoy it. Many a gun from all the semi customs had to go back and many a RIA etc... ran like a scolding dog.
my RIA ran great too, zero problems
this is good advice; buy what ya can afford, shoot it and enjoy.
I hate people who badmouth someone else's gun because it didn't cost as much as theirs.
I also saw an old man with a 75 year old bolt action rifle hold up an entire platoon of U.S. soldiers for almost two hours in Iraq (shot two of them also).

21 - 40 of 63 Posts