1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. I am somewhat new to 1911s and of course brand new to this forum. I am wanting to purchase a commander size 1911 and am really only interested in what brand is thought to be the most reliable. I'm not concerned with the most accurate just the most reliable. Accuracy doesn't mean a thing if when you pull the trigger it doesn't go bang. I know many answers will be opinions but any facts you can share to support your opinions would be greatly appreciated. I am considering a 1911 for EDC and while I have never carried it I currently own a Kimber Ultra Carry II. After reading some of the posts on this site I'm a little reluctant to bet my life on my Kimber. If you could please only respond with opinions and answers directly related to 1911s that would be great. If you feel there is no 1911 available reliable enough to bet your life on by all means feel free to share your thoughts.

On a slightly different note, I also own a SA Loaded full size and wonder if anyone knows how I can make the safety a little less hard to turn off. I like the fact that it is going to be pretty hard for the safety to be accidentally turned off but it does take what I feel is too much force to turn it off and it actually hurts your thumb when doing so. The safety on the Kimber works as I would suspect one should. Any thoughts on this would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
A Newbie

·
Deo Volente
8,401 Posts

·
born in the wrong century
8,959 Posts
If reliability was the primary goal with a new gun that cost a bit north of $1,000......I'd recommend the Colt WC Commander SS & WC Government......or any of the current Combat Elite series.

I'm not a Colt fanboy....nor a Colt hater....just someone who respects their reliability. To date, every new 4.25" & 5" Colt I've broken in did so in a rather boring way.....it functioned flawlessly. No drama....no aggravations.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If reliability was the primary goal with a new gun that cost a bit north of $1,000......I'd recommend the Colt WC Commander SS & WC Government......or any of the current Combat Elite series.

I'm not a Colt fanboy....nor a Colt hater....just someone who respects their reliability. To date, every new 4.25" & 5" Colt I've broken in did so in a rather boring way.....it functioned flawlessly. No drama....no aggravations.
Thanks for the reply Dub. That's exactly the kind of response I was looking for.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Even a great reliable 1911 or any semi auto pistol for that matter will have a jam or malfunction once in a while, and even if the pistol is 100% you could have an issue with a bad primer or a bad round in general. That is why most of us practice a malfunction drill every so often, or at least we should. There are a bunch of manufacturers that produce 1911s in 5", 4" and even 3". The 5" is the most reliable where as the 4" is pretty close behind. The 3" takes a lot to get it right and some manufacturers have even recalled their 3" 1911s and won't make any more, and some fantastic 1911 wizards won't even work on them. So if you have you heart set on a commander size there are great options out there in all price ranges, but even if you get one from a top shelf manufacturer as Zoidmaster said "it's the gun not the manufacturer", you could have some hiccups and it still may need some tuning. I would say get the best one you could afford, shoot a couple of hundred factory rounds through it, then if you are happy with the performance start carrying it in a good holster with a good gun belt.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I'm always for buying a new or new to you 1911.
But
you have two, shoot a 1000 rounds through each and prove them to yourself or whatever number you think will make you confident in them. Then carry them with confidence.

If you know how to strip your 1911 pull the safety out and "gently" stone the front edge where it hits the plunger. This is a stone a little and re assemble until it snicks of and on the way YOU like it job. Don't be in a hurry. Then you can very carefully stone the forward angle where the tube rides over and slightly round it for a smoother transitions . Again this is stone a little and re install to see how it's coming.
Or
bring it to your local Gunsmith and explain what your looking for and he can do it for you. It should not cost a great deal to smooth up the thumb safety.

Now, go and shoot until your confident in your gun and your ability!!! LOL

Good Fortune with the quest!

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,798 Posts
Reliability isn't just a function of the gun. Magazine and ammo play important roles.

Like @fallenangelhim said, Rock Island makes really affordable and reliable guns. I would focus on their TAC series and better, stay way from the GI series.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Even a great reliable 1911 or any semi auto pistol for that matter will have a jam or malfunction once in a while, and even if the pistol is 100% you could have an issue with a bad primer or a bad round in general. That is why most of us practice a malfunction drill every so often, or at least we should. There are a bunch of manufacturers that produce 1911s in 5", 4" and even 3". The 5" is the most reliable where as the 4" is pretty close behind. The 3" takes a lot to get it right and some manufacturers have even recalled their 3" 1911s and won't make any more, and some fantastic 1911 wizards won't even work on them. So if you have you heart set on a commander size there are great options out there in all price ranges, but even if you get one from a top shelf manufacturer as Zoidmaster said "it's the gun not the manufacturer", you could have some hiccups and it still may need some tuning. I would say get the best one you could afford, shoot a couple of hundred factory rounds through it, then if you are happy with the performance start carrying it in a good holster with a good gun belt.
Thanks Apollo. Looks like my Ultra Carry II is NOT a good carry option. I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it and so far so good but I want to be able to trust it. I've been carrying a Springfield XD9 compact for years and it is the only non Glock semi-auto I own that has never had a malfunction of any kind.

·
14,798 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reliability isn't just a function of the gun. Magazine and ammo play important roles.

Like @fallenangelhim said, Rock Island makes really affordable and reliable guns. I would focus on their TAC series and better, stay way from the GI series.
Thanks ZoidMeister. Price isn't really an issue but no one wants to spend more than they need to. And yes no doubt that some guns just don't like some ammo brands or types. In hindsight I believe I have asked the wrong question. What I am attempting to learn is which brands have issues pertaining to the gun itself, failed parts and ect, and which brands hold up.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I have a 1986 Colt LW Commander that has been my CCW Pistol for
many moons. The new Factory Mag did not function, but the Pistol has
been 100% reliable from day1.

You can find a new one from $650 to $800 & it has many
mods done already. I had to replace the Plastic MSH & the plastic
trigger because I hate plastic in guns.

The New Commanders look real nice, I use 3 8rd CMC SS mags for
daily carry. I dropped the trigger weight to 4.75lbs it's crisp & not
too light for self defense use.

I love & trust all my Colts, they run in years from 1917 to 2011 & in between.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts

·
14,798 Posts
You can get a reliable $500 1911 from Rock Island Armory/Arsenal.

Most modern 1911s from major manufacturers are reliable. Find what you like and go for it. Buy new so you have warranty with manufacturer.
The gun above is a great option. I own two DW Guardians and have never had an issue with either.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't "limp wrist" any particular gun. "Limp wristing" is an urban legend excuse for a gun that isn't tuned correctly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well what's more reliable, the Revolver or a semi auto pistol?

View attachment 387491
What makes a bigger hole? Were just too late to have been born.
Oh but to live in a world when every man had a hog leg strapped
on. :)

Just saw this. https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/dan-wesson-guardian-45-used.86159/
I don't think there is any question that a revolver (well most revolvers) is more reliable than a semi auto and IMHO safer too. With a revolver there is no "Oh I didn't know there was one in the tube". I'm just trying to learn about 1911s which is why it made sense to me to join this site and ask a question about a, imagine that, a 1911.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.