Motorcycle Insurance Sticker Shock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bugs, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What do you guys who ride use for MC insurance? Seems like if you include medical the premiums skyrocket.

2. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    I paid $75 a year through Progressive

3. Win Wolcott

Win Wolcott Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
  4. John Joyce

John Joyce Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2015
    I have Progressive, but don't carry the medical. My rate is $533/yr. I have Liberty Mutual for home and auto. They were not interested in carrying bike or boat coverages.

5. Don_P

Don_P Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 4, 2018
    Progressive, $392 a year for this.....
    2012-c670.jpg

6. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    You may want to search out some national or state motorcycle associations. A small yearly membership fee may save you some big bucks.

When I used to go down to Baja on a regular basis, I joined a group called Vagabundos del Mar. I was able to pick up Mexican insurance for a whole year for less than the price I would pay for a week! :grin: It made it really nice for going down to Bajia de Los Angeles for a long weekend of mind blowing fishing and longer road trips to Baja del Sur.

7. Win Wolcott

Win Wolcott Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Mine is $465 /year and has pretty high liability coverage added.

wcanterbury likes this.
  8. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    $600 a year for me in AZ

Road King Close Up.jpg

9. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    HOG - Safeco $510.00 per year for two Harleys .

10. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Also safeco and is $523 for a 2016 road glide and a 1986 Honda magna 1100

Thought I would add I used to have progressive and payed the same amount I pay safeco but I was rear ended by a young female driver in my truck and progressive raised my motorcycle premiums by 50%

They (progressive) wouldn’t give me a reason why me being rear ended by someone on a highway while driving my truck would cause my motorcycle rates to increase????
    The other driver paid my repairs, medical bills including three neck procedures! Still have my car insurance through progressive but had to switch my motorcycle:mad:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  11. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Progressive

12. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    Check around, the
    https://www.msf-usa.org/ offers classes in almost every state. Years ago it saved me coin on top of the geico discount. I was already an experiance rider and took the course just to save some $$$, ended up helping with the class as the instructors were shorthanded.;)
    I miss my Blackbird but my back likes this more!
    20160528_213848.jpg

Old Sea Dragon and Mike Meints like this.
  13. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Markel Insurance. Full coverage with the highest values just over $400 a year. Decent discounts and deductible disappears with no accidents, by 25% a year.

14. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    I went with Flo at Progressive.

2143822A-484C-4D6E-B9E1-1C9B4451359D.jpeg

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  15. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What gets me is I am 61 with over 30 years of riding experience on the road not including the 6 years I rode and was sponsored by Montesa. This will be my 7th road bike. My last was a heavily customized Victory Kingpin I sold a few years back. Kinda tired of the cruiser thing. I was looking at the Yamaha MT-07. The 2018 model is $7199 in my neck of the woods. My Progressive quote was $577 per year if paid in full with 100/300K liability; 50K property damage; and NO coverage for uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury and medical payments. Comes with total loss coverage for collision and comprehensive with a $500 deductible, roadside assistance, disappearing deductibles and 3K accessory coverage. The NO COVERAGE for uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury is a little unnerving and I wondered if I should pay for this. The yearly premium that included everything above with medical coverage was over $1400 a year which is insane.

16. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    ?VSTROM

17. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    Negative Ghostrider, Bandit 1250.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Bugs likes this.
  18. Usp45ct

Usp45ct Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Man, I had a Ducati 748 in the mid1990s and 5 months of insurance way about $1500 back then. One of the reasons I sold it.

Mike Meints likes this.
  19. ButchA

ButchA Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Progressive here too with my '07 Honda Shadow 750. Full coverage and it's only $135 a year in Richmond, VA.

I remember fiddling around with various free quotes on Progressive's website, and basically was like, "Okay, let's duplicate my Honda Shadow 750 coverage, but yet with a..."
    • Brand new Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700 ---- $280/yr
    • Brand new Honda Goldwing ---- $413/yr
    • Brand new Harley Davidson, Heritage Softail Classic ---- $363/yr
    So, that old wives tale kind of thing about bigger motorcycle engines is true. An old retired insurance agent (and deer hunting buddy) told me it was 900cc. Every insurance company used that same guideline. 900cc... You can own a 650, you can own a smaller 500, and everything is perfectly fine and dirt cheap. Once you go bigger and cross that 900cc mark, the insurance rate skyrockets and darn near doubles. He also went onto say that, that's why a number of years ago Harley created the 883 Sportster, to avoid the insurance hike.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted