Movie “The Eagle Has Landed”

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WhoIsJohnGalt?, Feb 19, 2019.

1. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    Come back across this one on Amazon Prime. I was a kid when this came out, and I don’t think I actually saw it until it made “Movie of the Week” when the Big 3 networks used to do that sort of thing.

Seems to have held up well over time and certainly has a strong cast. I’m not sure how this one fared at the box office against a similar film such as “A Bridge Too Far” from the same era much less the likes of “Star Wars,” but it’s enjoyable to watch again.

Kinda makes me want to grab the Jack Higgins novel it was spawned from.

98C3690D-D164-44F9-96B1-40FD5EFB66F0.jpeg

2. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    I agree. I watch it and all other war movies whenever I can. Problem is I don’t go to the theater. Makes my ass hurt. So I just wait till I can watch on TV. Probably my loss but I’ve never seen any Star Wars movies. But i have invested in two generations of the toys, legos etc. it goes on and on. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve watched The Battle of the Bulge, The Longest Day, Guns of Navarone. It goes on and on lol. Most recently, Band of Brothers, Pacific, Thin Red Line. I hope Rami Malik wins an Oscar for his portrayal of Eddie Mercury. He was awesome as Snafu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. CENTURIATOR

CENTURIATOR Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2018
    The book is great, the movie is great.

WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.
  4. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    I'll have to check it out. Any basis in fact?

5. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    I don’t believe so. It (the movie; I’m assuming the book may do the same) plays on the actual rescue of Mussolini by German airborne troops, but is otherwise a work of fiction.

6. Longbow

Longbow Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Pretty sure that “A bridge too far” was a box office flop. Unfortunately...

If you’re interested in the Arnhem battle, read “Arnhem 1944” by Martin Middlebrook. It’s an excellent piece.

“It never snows in September”, by Robert Kershaw, covers the German operations against the Market Garden attempt. Another excellent book.

7. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    Piggy-backing on your “A Bridge Too Far” comment @Longbow - talk about a star-studded cast. I think they lined-up just about everybody who was anybody for that film...Redford, Connery, Caan, Hopkins, Hackman, O’Neil, Caine...just off-the-cuff. Amazing line-up.

Thanks for the book suggestions also!

Longbow likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted