MSH replacement

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by War Party, Feb 21, 2019.

1. War Party

War Party Reasonably Well Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 13, 2014
    I want to change the plain mainspring housing on my full size Springfield to one with an integral magwell, which I already have from Smith & Alexander. Can I remove and replace the MSH without any other disassembly? I’ve completely disassembled 1911’s before, I just never wanted to replace the MSH without doing anything else to the gun. Thanks.

WP

2. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    You can, just remember to put a rubber band or tie a string around the grip to hold the grip safety fully depressed into the frame. That will keep the sear spring in place.

I do think it makes it easier to remove the slide and lower the hammer all the way forward. Reduces spring tension on the main spring.

Also, to align the opening on reassembly you can push the msh inserted into the frame with one hand against a table and put the pin in with the other.

FredZ, fieldgrade and War Party like this.

3. texasnurse

texasnurse Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2016
    If your firearm has ILS, it would better to replace those parts at this time. Dry fit the mainspring before adding tension back; use dykem to determine fitting needs. Blend mag well to frame; ensure grip safety functions and is not blocked/jammed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

War Party likes this.
  4. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    S&A magwells are pretty much drop in replacements. Every part on a 1911 has the potential on needing to be "fit" to the gun, but I've installed half a dozen of them with few, if any issues.

No photos are uploading tonight

WHEELS and War Party like this.
  5. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    How old is your Springfield. There is a bit more to this then a standard drop in if like Texas Nurse stated your current Springfield Variant has the ILS ms housing. Internal Locking System..

War Party likes this.
  6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    The ILS gets replaced. The S&A obsoletes Springfield's MSH. I would not advise using the Springfield internals with an S&A Magwell/MSH. There are geometric differences with the spring cap and spring.

Buy new internals and you should be good to go.

By the way, you can replace a Springer's internals with standard MSH internals and a cap retention pin thereby disabling the ILS.

The Springfield arched MSH is one of my favorite MSH's to use if I am not going with a magwell on a particular gun. I actually like the ILS.

Weird, I know.

Z

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  7. War Party

Jan 13, 2014
    I’m not familiar with Springfield’s ILS, but my gun is the V-16 ported Longslide and it does not have the ‘key hole’ on the left side of the rear of the MSH so I’m assuming it does not have the ILS.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Steve Owens likes this.
  8. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Yes your correct no ILS, so you should be good to go using existing internals from the ms housing in your new one.. Wouldn't hurt to change the spring, whilest your in there especially if you don't know how many rounds have been through it.. That is a little rarer bird you got there I see a good deal of the officers ported V guns, but not the long slides real often, got a pic?

War Party likes this.
  9. War Party

Jan 13, 2014
    Thanks to everyone who helped, it did turn out perfectly. Pictures don't seem to want to load last night or today though, but I'll post a few as soon as they get the issue sorted out. In the mean time, here's a list of my collection of Springers...

Springfield Armory Master Grade ‘A’ 5” Black .45ACP
    Springfield Armory Master Grade ‘B’ 5” + Compensator Stainless .45ACP
    Springfield Custom Rob Leatham TGO1 5” Black/Stainless .45ACP
    Springfield Custom Distinguished Classic 5” Stainless .45ACP
    Springfield Custom Distinguished Limited 6” Longslide Stainless .38 Super
    Springfield Custom PPC Distinguished/1500 6” Longslide Black/Stainless 9mm
    Springfield Custom Professional 5” Stainless .45ACP
    Springfield Custom Professional 5” Black .45ACP
    Springfield Custom 5” Black .45ACP
    Springfield Armory 5” Double Stack Stainless .45ACP
    Springfield Armory 5” Ported (12 hole) Stainless .45ACP
    Springfield Armory V-16 Ported (16 hole) 6” Longslide Stainless .45ACP
    Springfield Armory TRP (Customized) 5” Stainless .45ACP
    Springfield Armory Camp Perry 100th Anniversary 5” Stainless .45ACP
    Springfield Armory Factory Comp 5” Double Stack Blk/Green .45ACP

10. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Nice that's quite the collection I had the black stainless myself currently have a Trophy match. That has been sitting in my safe for over a year waiting on my attention. I did a crude refinish job on it right after I got it but I want to really go through it in the next couple years lol

War Party likes this.
  11. ErinMTurnbull

ErinMTurnbull Member

Feb 22, 2019
    I’ll also be replacing the ILS as well in my TRP Full Rail, along with a bunch of other upgrades.

Can anyone recommend a MSH that will mate up well to the TRP FR frame?

Thanks!

Steve Owens likes this.
  12. War Party

Jan 13, 2014
    Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Now you just need a Front strap Checkering to match and re-finish. ;) Magwell looks nice.

FredZ and War Party like this.
  14. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    What War Party has below would work, they make in Stainless and Carbon steel. For which ever of the two finishes you have should match decent.

War Party likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted