Musings of an addict?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by cgff, Mar 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Fellow addicts? Pistoleros, 1911 junkies?

Have you ever gotten to the point we’re your collection/heard or Want/need
    Is quenched or at a happy medium?

I ask as I am at a mild # of 1911s and a few poly wonders that the bases are covered and the group is pretty much complete there’s that one, but what could it be? I am missing a 38 Super?

Definitely not feeling the challenge of the hunt, the 38 super will show in its own time.
    It feels as though reloading and shooting for what is at hand is the goal or desire.
    Anyone else at a status quo? Not in the rush to buy or sell?
    Fellow addicts which is it that drives you, seek? or shoot? Ever flame out on either?

boatdoc likes this.
  2. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Ah'm at 72 1911's, an' just ordered #73. My goal is 100 - but that can always be adjusted....lol

3. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Actually I stop at least once a year.
    Try to get what I want early in the year and then spend the rest of the year enjoying them.
    Last year I bought six and stopped.
    This year I've sold five and bought four.
    I'll reevaluate again at the start of next year but I think I'm good for this year, except I might pick up a 10mm at some point, if the right one comes along.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    gps man, Otherside, boatdoc and 2 others like this.
  4. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    I have two Ruger's. One LW CMD and one Stainless CMD. Also have a Taurus Officer model. All in .45. I want to be done for a while but, unfortunately, I cannot seem to get my mind off of the Springfield RO Compact .45.:bang:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  5. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I'm actually there, I've been on a selling and buying spree to reshape my collection and it's where I had envisioned it, FINALLY. Thanks to some "bad" addicts and some great deals I got side tracked away from compacts into some commanders and even a full size.

I need to add a Nighthawk T3 or T4 but that's all that's left ;) unless I start in on revolvers :sneaky:

gps man, Otherside, boatdoc and 2 others like this.
  6. TexasRedneck

Sep 19, 2011
    C'mon, fellas....one of 5 safes - go for it!! March 2016.jpg

7. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    It's pretty simple you spend time enjoying the ones you have and know you are still looking for at least one.
    Give or take.

8. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    TexasRedneck, holy mother of God, serious props man, serious props :):):):)

9. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    No.

cgff and WHEELS like this.
  10. TexasRedneck

Sep 19, 2011
    Hmmmm.....Probably one of my Randall LeMay's. I love the Southpaw models just for the look on someone's face when they realize it's "backwards" - but in terms of overall favorite, one of the LeMay's. Now, in terms of carry, no contest - STI Elektra.

Wheelgun? NO question - 686 snubbie in SS. I've carried that sucker off and on for goin' on 30 years now.

BA rifle? My Remington 700 BDL in 7mm mag - it's been my go-to meat getter since '88 or so.

Semi-auto? M1 Garand.....nothing says "this discussion is OVER" like when you put THAT sucker on target. Although the carbines ARE a hoot, as well.

FA.....it's gotta be the Uzi. It's pretty controllable in R&R, and relatively cheap to shoot.

Shotgun....there's a couple, actually. My heart belongs to my Model '97, inherited from my grandmother, who shot competition with it back in the days of Ad & "Pinky" Toepperwein, who my grandparents knew for years and enjoyed shooting with. For whatever reason, when that old girl is in my hands, I seldom miss.

Then there's my SxS Sauer & Sohn Elektra.jpg Family portrait.jpg 100%.jpg Results.jpg , inherited from my grandfather. Started hunting with it at the age of 12, when he observed I was "big enough to handle a REAL shotgun," and handed it to me with a bag of 12 gauge shells.

Defense wise, I have a pair of KSG's - one in my office, the other in the garage. And then, of course, there's my "get off my yard" shottie - the 870 AOW.

Here's a few pics......

11. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    :)I do find the more I shoot what I already have the less I feel the addictions pull. The worst is having money for only one, and having two or three on the mind, churning until a decision is made:)

cgff, FWoo45, WHEELS and 2 others like this.
  12. TexasRedneck

Sep 19, 2011
    I honestly can't explain my love for the 1911, other than it was what I was taught to shoot with, and I've always appreciated their operation. Like everyone else, I WAS lured away in my 20's, and carried wheelguns for several years even while I was searching out additional Randalls for my collection. I even carried a Model 92 for several years in the mid 80's, until growing observations of live-fire incidents where the 9 simply failed to do the job convinced me it was time to rethink things yet again, and I went back to my 1911's.

FullySupported and Otherside like this.
  13. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I can explain, although maybe poorly, why I prefer the 1911 over other, proven designs. The feel, pointability I suppose. The look of steel and wood. The power. The excellent level of accuracy, partially owing to the superior triggers. Their service history, my own history with them. But ultimately we don't need to explain any of it. Handguns are personal weapons, thus personal choices. I applaud all fans of their respective brands because I respect that they have made their choice and armed to their satisfaction.

14. TexasRedneck

Sep 19, 2011
    Exactly. Just as I love my 1911's, I can understand others' preference for theirs. I might razz them about it (as they will me), but we're not serious. When someone IS serious, I recognize that they have maturity issues, and likely shouldn't be trusted with ANY gun.

isialk, FWoo45, limbkiller and 2 others like this.
  15. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    THIS^^ make s me feel better. I get ragged on by many(jealous?) who think I won hundreds of guns and 100 1911(NOT). kudos @TRN

FullySupported likes this.
  16. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015

WHEELS-- I have a Sig p220 10mm and love it. after reading some of Jim Cirrillo's books, I also decided to use 10mm as home defense and bought a Ruger SUPER redhawk. it is awesome. try 10mm. hard hitting , very accurate ,FUN FUN FUN

now I just need more room or a new safe ;)

17. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015

needing more safe room or a new safe could caus e that..also cash flow or lack f it(heaven forbid --this is the 1911addicts kryptonite!!!)

FullySupported likes this.
  18. boatdoc

Aug 3, 2015
    YOU NEED help, you can send me a safe and whatever quantity of guns you think would fill them. I promise to take good care of them--it will be good therapy for you :)

NICE safes f ull of pew pew toys. good for you

FullySupported, FWoo45 and WHEELS like this.
  19. Otherside

Otherside Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2019
    Hey ,Texas Redneck you still have tags on some of those guns

20. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Some have the hang tags still on them . . .

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted