1911 Firearm Addicts banner

My AR-15 Black Rifle Build

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  awpk03s 
#1 ·
For a couple years now I have played around with AR-15 rifles. Recently, I chose to upgrade in a variety of ways. I'm going to try and detail that here and review the components I used and also show pictures of the finished product.

Lower - RRA stripped lower
LPK - DPMS Lower Parts Kit
Trigger/Hammer Assembly - Rock River NM 2 Stage Trigger
Grip - Magpul MIAD
Upper Receiver - Stage Flat Top Left Hand Upper
Barrel - Stag 16" 1:9 chrome lined M4 profile
Bolt/BCG - Stag Left Hand
Buttstock - ACE Entry Skeleton Stock w/DPMS 1" Extender
Sights - A.R.M.S. Flip Up Rear Sight, F-Marked FSB w/XS Tritium Front Sight
Handguard - Yankee Hill Machine Diamond Series Free Float Handguard/Barrel Nut/End Cap
Optic - EoTech XPS CR123
Safety/Selector - Battle Arms Development Ambi
Flash Hider - Smith Enterprises Vortex
VFG - Troy Industries aluminum machined vertical fore grip
Light - VTAC mount with Surefire E2DL

Lower Assembly:
I tried a stock LPK trigger/hammer, and really didn't like the feel of it. I have a 2 Stage NM trigger in my Stag 6L rifle and chose to put one in this build as well. Rather than a modular unit, I chose the RRA NM 2 Stage model, and it's very nice. The trigger feel and pull is excellent.
I used a Battle Arms Development Ambi Safety Selector (B.A.D.A.S.S.) and I was immediately impressed with the quality of the selector and the plunger pin. Mine came with a longer selector arm, and a shorter selector arm. I used the longer one on the right (LH) side of the gun and the shorter on the left (RH) side of the gun. They are held together with a Torx screw and loctite, and I'm quite happy with it.
I LOVE the ACE Entry stock... I have used their products before on AK's and was eager to try one on an AR. The typical Skeleton stock was too long for my liking, and the factory Entry Skeleton stock was too short... but when combined with a DPMS 1" extender, it is PERFECT.
I like MAGPUL's MIAD pistol grip. The feel is great for me, and I like the storage factor.
Lastly, I put a Blackhawk single point sling on.

Upper Assembly:
Given that I am left handed, it was key for me to use a Stage upper receiver assembly/bolt/BCG and barrel. I am quite pleased with these components.
I got the Yankee Hill Diamond series free float handguard (and barrel nut/end cap) on sale for a pretty good price at Midway, so I jumped on it like a hobo on a ham samwhich. These components fit my upper and barrel great, and are of utmost quality.
XS tritium front sight was an easy installation into the FSB. Has a nice white outline and picks up nicely in light and dark conditions.
I mounted on the bottom rail a Troy Industries VFG, that can be used as a shorty grip or a full grip. I chose the full grip.
For lighting purposes, I chose a VTAC mount with a VTAC branded Surefire E2DL light. It points POI/POA in a house environment.
I used an EoTech XPS optic on my flat top rail and I really like it. It co-witnesses with my iron sights as a backup.
I used a Smith Enterprises Vortex flash hider - and like it quite a bit.

Enough talk, here are a couple pictures of the complete rifle and relevant components mentioned above:

See less See more
#10 ·
#13 ·
Nicely done. Congrats.

#15 ·
Nice looking build. I'm a lefty too, but I went with a standard AR because I use it for Hi Power Service Rifle matches, which don't allow left-hand guns. However, I haven't had any problems shooting a standard AR and doubt I would go with a left-hand AR now. I'm contemplating building up another AR.

#16 ·
Nice looking build. I'm a lefty too, but I went with a standard AR because I use it for Hi Power Service Rifle matches, which don't allow left-hand guns. However, I haven't had any problems shooting a standard AR and doubt I would go with a left-hand AR now. I'm contemplating building up another AR.
Yeah, I have to admit, I don't have any issues shooting a right handed AR either... I went lefty (on this one and on my Stag 6L) just to be different I guess, and to be optimized to my southpaw side...
If you do an ambi safety on your next one, I HIGHLY recommend the Battle Arms Development ambi...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.