close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My AR-15 Black Rifle Build

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by awpk03s, Aug 25, 2011.

1. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    For a couple years now I have played around with AR-15 rifles. Recently, I chose to upgrade in a variety of ways. I'm going to try and detail that here and review the components I used and also show pictures of the finished product.

Lower - RRA stripped lower
    LPK - DPMS Lower Parts Kit
    Trigger/Hammer Assembly - Rock River NM 2 Stage Trigger
    Grip - Magpul MIAD
    Upper Receiver - Stage Flat Top Left Hand Upper
    Barrel - Stag 16" 1:9 chrome lined M4 profile
    Bolt/BCG - Stag Left Hand
    Buttstock - ACE Entry Skeleton Stock w/DPMS 1" Extender
    Sights - A.R.M.S. Flip Up Rear Sight, F-Marked FSB w/XS Tritium Front Sight
    Handguard - Yankee Hill Machine Diamond Series Free Float Handguard/Barrel Nut/End Cap
    Optic - EoTech XPS CR123
    Safety/Selector - Battle Arms Development Ambi
    Flash Hider - Smith Enterprises Vortex
    VFG - Troy Industries aluminum machined vertical fore grip
    Light - VTAC mount with Surefire E2DL

Lower Assembly:
    I tried a stock LPK trigger/hammer, and really didn't like the feel of it. I have a 2 Stage NM trigger in my Stag 6L rifle and chose to put one in this build as well. Rather than a modular unit, I chose the RRA NM 2 Stage model, and it's very nice. The trigger feel and pull is excellent.
    I used a Battle Arms Development Ambi Safety Selector (B.A.D.A.S.S.) and I was immediately impressed with the quality of the selector and the plunger pin. Mine came with a longer selector arm, and a shorter selector arm. I used the longer one on the right (LH) side of the gun and the shorter on the left (RH) side of the gun. They are held together with a Torx screw and loctite, and I'm quite happy with it.
    I LOVE the ACE Entry stock... I have used their products before on AK's and was eager to try one on an AR. The typical Skeleton stock was too long for my liking, and the factory Entry Skeleton stock was too short... but when combined with a DPMS 1" extender, it is PERFECT.
    I like MAGPUL's MIAD pistol grip. The feel is great for me, and I like the storage factor.
    Lastly, I put a Blackhawk single point sling on.

Upper Assembly:
    Given that I am left handed, it was key for me to use a Stage upper receiver assembly/bolt/BCG and barrel. I am quite pleased with these components.
    I got the Yankee Hill Diamond series free float handguard (and barrel nut/end cap) on sale for a pretty good price at Midway, so I jumped on it like a hobo on a ham samwhich. These components fit my upper and barrel great, and are of utmost quality.
    XS tritium front sight was an easy installation into the FSB. Has a nice white outline and picks up nicely in light and dark conditions.
    I mounted on the bottom rail a Troy Industries VFG, that can be used as a shorty grip or a full grip. I chose the full grip.
    For lighting purposes, I chose a VTAC mount with a VTAC branded Surefire E2DL light. It points POI/POA in a house environment.
    I used an EoTech XPS optic on my flat top rail and I really like it. It co-witnesses with my iron sights as a backup.
    I used a Smith Enterprises Vortex flash hider - and like it quite a bit.

Enough talk, here are a couple pictures of the complete rifle and relevant components mentioned above:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shooting45 likes this.
  2. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Only 8rds? 1911s suck

Aug 19, 2011
    Sweet man congrats

3. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Damn. That looks excellent. Nice job bro. :thumb:

4. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Nice build. I have done an AR or two in my time.

[​IMG]

5. Bender

Bender Meh...... Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Now you're just showing off Tack'!

Nice build Awpk03s! :whoo:

6. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Member

Aug 17, 2011

I guess I am. Sorry.

7. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    Very nice AR Awpko3s. James you showoff. :biggrin1:

8. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    :lol:

Of course, we've all heard of the New York reload.

I think Tackleberry has just demonstrated a fine example of that methodology's oft-neglected cousin: the New Jersey reload.

Andy

9. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Nicely done!

I still need to get a different/better stock for my mid-length Rock River.

[​IMG]

10. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Member

Aug 17, 2011
  11. IraG2362

IraG2362 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 3, 2011
    nice build...

12. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    That is indeed a hell of a build! everything on it serves its purpose! Love the E2DL, it is my EDC light. I think im going to sell my mini scout and get another e2dl for the m4

13. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Nicely done. Congrats.

14. mdThanatos

mdThanatos New Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Some nice looking rifles in here. I just got my first AR a few months ago. Its a KISS build and will be used for plinking mainly.

15. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Nice looking build. I'm a lefty too, but I went with a standard AR because I use it for Hi Power Service Rifle matches, which don't allow left-hand guns. However, I haven't had any problems shooting a standard AR and doubt I would go with a left-hand AR now. I'm contemplating building up another AR.

16. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Yeah, I have to admit, I don't have any issues shooting a right handed AR either... I went lefty (on this one and on my Stag 6L) just to be different I guess, and to be optimized to my southpaw side...
    If you do an ambi safety on your next one, I HIGHLY recommend the Battle Arms Development ambi...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted