close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Combat Elite

Discussion in '1911 Photo Gallery' started by matthew03, Sep 24, 2011.

1. matthew03

matthew03 Member

Sep 24, 2011
    DSC00772.jpg DSC00773.jpg
    I purchased "Virginia" as a project gun that I intended to have worked over to my specs, unfortunately I lost my job so I've yet to have anything done. I'm actually glad for the delay (not being unemployed), because my list of "to do's" was much to extensive and over the time I've owned, shot, and carried the Colt my list has been cut down and altered dramatically.

I want to switch out a few parts to my preference's, 10-8 trigger, add a gold bead to the front site for class, or go with fiber optic front, definitely needs a dehorning job, fit the GS due to the frame's sharp edges when it's depressed, FS checkering, switch out the plastic MSH. I still am having difficulty deciding if I want to stay with the two tone or black it out, but either way the stainless flats need a bead blasting; don't like them bright. The slide will get a dark finish, possibly Cerakote as will the barrel. The VZ grips may get switched out for some Cocobolo again; I found the original Colt half checkered grips to be way too orange in tone and the set of cocobolo's I tried on from a local grip maker just didn't have enough figure.

Function has been 100% since I dealt with a firing pin stop that exited the gun do the the series 80 plunger having a rough spot and not disengaging. I found upon examination that the plunger would occasionally stick inside the tunnel allowing the firing pin stop to drop and block the hammer; smoothed that out and weapon has fed and ejected everything run through it fine. (And that's why we should run our weapons before designating them for self defense/carry).

2. matthew03

matthew03 Member

Sep 24, 2011
    I forgot to mention I ditched the Full Length Guide Rod for a GI and plug right away. I have owned 1911's since I was 21; Colt 1991A1 was the second firearm purchase I made, so I have quiet the collection of holsters. I prefer a classic Milt Sparks Summer Special II as my IWB and a DM Bullard Bodyguard as my OWB.
    DSC00776.jpg

and don't get too excited, but I did have to de-robe to get that picture.

3. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
  4. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Sounds like some simple, but very useful mod's! Cant wait to see the finished product.

5. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    Very nice. I like those grips:thumb:

6. matthew03

matthew03 Member

Sep 24, 2011
    I wish I would have ordered the standard thickness, the slim grips are just too slim for my hands and they don't support the plunger tube. Live and learn, but I had never tried slim grips before so it was a shot in the dark. They do offer exceptional traction and hold and are very well made.

7. IBDRXN

IBDRXN Down Zero

Sep 27, 2011
  8. eng208

eng208 New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Looks very similar to mine.
    [​IMG]

9. Hurricanes

Hurricanes Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Love how it looks two tone, but at the end it's still your firearm.
    -Joel

10. MY-1911

MY-1911 Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Hey Guy's, Which VZ's are those. I could'nt find them on the site?

11. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
  12. MY-1911

MY-1911 Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks Blayglock, Those are killer grips. Might have ta get them w/20% off.

13. matthew03

matthew03 Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Yep, Blayglock found them, Operator II's in Zebra. Mine are the slim's, but if I had it to do over again I would get standard thickness instead. VZ's are great grips either way you go.

14. matthew03

matthew03 Member

Sep 24, 2011
    That's crazy we have the same setup, I ended up putting some really sweet custom VZ grip screws on mine.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted