close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My Digital Scale is Junk

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by Rinspeed, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Rinspeed

Rinspeed Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I'm so pissed, my Pact BBK digital powder scale has to go back for the fifth time because the load cell is bad again. :mad2: I'm so done with it it's not even funny. As soon as I get it back fixed it will go on e-bay and don't care what I get for it. I'm pretty sure I going to go with a Dillon D-Terminator. Any others I should consider.

2. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    Nope I would go with the Dillon. Make sure you get the check weights as well. If you don't want to spend the money, the beam scale is really nice, I like mine a lot.

3. Bumper

Bumper New Member

Sep 2, 2011
    I have used the Dillon digital for a couple of years now, and it's been great with the following caveats: it's not too stable with battery power, but great on the AC adapter AND after the first thirteen months the first one just quit. Dead.

The Dillon retail store is just down the road and off I went. The Dillon folks were very sympathetic but given that the warranty was one year their only offer was to sell me a replacement for $85 which I suspect
    is their cost. They did suggest that I might send it off to the manufacturer (China) with a plea for mercy and no assurance of success and for sure, a lengthy delay during which I would have to purchase a replacement anyway. Anyway, the purchased replacement is working fine. Cabellas sells a nice set of check
    weights--down to half a grain, I think.

4. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Another Dillon D-terminator digital scale owner here. So far it's been 100%, no problems whatsoever..

5. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    MACK 20. +1 on the check weights. I had them send me 0.500g and 0.020g check weights. Had a digital scale that would read heavier check weights just fine but not lesser values. It was
    reading 10 grains of powder below 5 grains. Glad I caught that one by checking powder levels in the cases. I always check the digital with the above (smaller) check weights & against a
    balance beam before starting now. I like having "all" my fingers.

6. Gress

Gress Don't need no education Supporting Addict

Nov 21, 2011
    I've heard production is all volumetric anyway :lol:

7. Legion489

Legion489 Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Gress, (thanks for the answer about primer pocket cleaning by the way.) Yes, production is volume powder measuring/loading. The factory doesn't weigh every load either, no matter what they are loading. What you do is CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOUR MEASURE IS THROWING WHAT IT SHOULD! Lets say I am loading .45 ACP with 5.3 gr of 231 and then change over and load 21 gr of 2400 in a .44 mag. Now I go back to Win 231 and I THINK it is still set up for 5,3 grs! Boy will I be in for a surprise at the range! That is why I get the scale out a WEIGH the charge before loading! What if someone was looking at it and screwed with the measure? Everyone loves turning knobs and dials! It might be very high or very low, but chances are good it wasn't what I expected either way. Now with a fixed measure (Lee Disk Measure) I KNOW it isn't different if I glance at the disk and it is the right one. Sure the powder weight might not be exactly 5.3 gr of 231, but it won't be much over or much under that (depending on humidity which can effect weight a few tenth grains either way), although the Disk Measures rarely throws the exact amount claimed, which doesn't matter much. Sure if I want EXACTLY 5.3 instead of 5.2, I can ream/polish it out to exactly 5.3, but for all realistic purposes, it is fine.

8. nolt

nolt Member

Aug 24, 2011
  9. Rinspeed

Rinspeed Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I picked up a Dillon D-terminator and it's been great so far. I will give the Pact to my friend who is getting into loading so he can have fun with it when it dies every other year. :rolleyes2:

10. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    I'll give you $5 for your old scale. :)

11. minderasr

minderasr Member

Aug 20, 2011
    What are you guys using to calibrate your scales and where did you get it? I recently pulled the trigger on a Dillon 550B and a Dillon Eliminator.

Sorry for the thread hijack and TIA.

12. Rinspeed

Rinspeed Member

Aug 22, 2011
    My Pact came with a couple weights so I will probably only give my friend one of them. :biggrin1: I doubt it would be easy to find them locally but McMaster-Carr carries them.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#weights/=f8ut1x

13. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I use a Redding Beam Scale. It works. Easy to read. Etc.

14. 3Baers

3Baers 1911 oldie

Oct 9, 2011
  15. Rinspeed

Rinspeed Member

Aug 22, 2011

Probably $14 for shipping. :biggrin1:

16. Crawldog

Crawldog New Member

Oct 13, 2011
    RCBS digital scales are made by PACT. I've had a PACT digital since '95. Continues to work great. No complaints.

17. Gress

Gress Don't need no education Supporting Addict

Nov 21, 2011
  18. .45 acp nut

.45 acp nut New Member

Oct 18, 2011
    RCBS Model 1010 Reloading Scale. If you get the Dillon you will still have a digital scale. I've had my 1010 scale for about 30 years and it still zeros every time... And it's still running on the same set of batteries:grin:

19. .45 acp nut

.45 acp nut New Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I wouldn't!:lol:

20. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The distributor for the Mack 20 will include smaller calibration weights if you request them; otherwise it comes with a calibration weight that is TOO big to be of any use. Quite frankly i think any of these scales would suffice (Mack 20, Dillon, Brian Enos, etc) as they are all made in freakin' CHINA anyway. If you get any of these and get some appropriate sized check weights you'll be fine.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted