close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My dream 1911.

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Okie, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    If I was rich and famous, well at least rich, my dream 1911 would have the plunger tube machined into the frame, like Ruger did, and also I would like the grip screw bushings machined in also. Would that be possible and how costly could something like that be:1911addicts:

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    the problem with the grip screw bushings being machined is that if you strip or damage them they aren't easily replaced.
    You also couldn't go from thing to thick grips.

3. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Dream big Okie, dream big

4. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I do dream big for sure my friend:biggrin1:

5. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I can see your point my friend, although neither would be a problem for me:biggrin1:

6. Isom93

Isom93 Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I'm always a bit surprised that more manufacturers don't go with an integral plunger tube.

7. seanmac45

seanmac45 1911 Junkie

Aug 21, 2011
    Caspian producs frames with integral pluger tubes. Maybe others will follow. I tear all of mine off, chamfer the inside of the frame mounting holes, put a bead of permanent loctite under the tube reseat and restake it. If the gun is going to a smith for upgrades it gets silver soldered instead. Either way, they don't come off under hard use.

8. Dave T

Dave T New Member

Aug 27, 2011
    I've heard people say the problem with fixed plunger tubes is that if one gets crushed you gun is out of commission. I confess that in almost 40 years of doing this stuff I've never seen or heard of a crushed plunger tube. Has anyone here had or seen one?

Dave

9. Okie

Okie Member

Aug 18, 2011
    The only thing I have ever heard of is a plunger tube coming loose:scared:

10. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Sadly,.......I replaced a loose one a few weeks ago. I screwed up on installing it and crushed it.
    Second time around, after ordering another tube, I used an insert tool & installed it properly.

Other than this,........I've never seen a crushed one, only loose ones.

11. 20South

20South Active Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I believe Nighthawk (ie Caspian Frame alluded to earlier) offers the integrated plunger tube on their "Enforcer" model. Although I believe they are replacing that with the Falcons - which do not have the integrated plunger.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted