1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I do not consent.
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread will document my experience.

Looking good so far.

[Friday 15June2018]After months of dawdling and shuffling and letting the firearms take up space in my safe for no good reason, I finally got around to contacting Springfield via email last Friday at 6:45 pm CDT. I made two separate entries, one for each of the two pistols.

At 6:50pm CDT Received two automated acknowledgements of receipt.

[Monday 18June2018]
8:45am CDT: Received two automated emails showing that each ticket had been assigned to a rep.

9:03am CDT: Received email from Rep #1

11:17am CDT: Received email from Rep #2

There were a few things to work out since I travel, live alone, etc. How do I get them back, things like that. Got it all worked out.

12:23pm CDT: I get an RMA notice and shipping label from Rep #2

I contact Rep #1 and tell her what we're doing. She replies, "Oh, you can just put them both under the same RMA. I'll take care of that. No problem.

We exchange a couple of emails to make sure there won't be any confusion.

4:30pm CDT: I get final confirmation from Rep #1 that we're all set, everything is updated and I'm good to go. I print the shipping label, type up descriptions for each pistol, flag the pistols and put them back in their original cases with the notes, pack the cases in a box.

I'll drop off at FedEx tomorrow and they'll be back in Illinois Thurs. They say 2-4 weeks turnaround. I'm good with that.

Literally less than one business day to get this process started, very professional, looking good.

I will post updates as required and report on results.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,457 Posts
I had to use SA customer service for a warranty issue several years ago, they were right on top of things and went way beyond the extra mile with upgrades when they fixed the issue with the gun. Top notch outfit.

Reactions: boatdoc and Kip

·
Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium
1,255 Posts
The only time I had to use SA customer service was for a LW Champion Operator. The holster that was included quickly wore through the finish, and I requested them to melonite it. Pistol was sent in to SA middle of July. I was told it would take a month at most, but it didn't come back until middle of October. The melonite finish proved to be far thinner that Dan Wesson's Duty Treat. It wore quickly as well. That's not a complaint, it's just what happened, and it is why I sold other SA 1911s that I had trouble with rather than send them in.

·
Chambers Custom Owners Club
2,423 Posts
Great... SA standing by their stuff.

They literally tried to take a **** on their customers here in IL. Ill take every chance I get to tell people to avoid them.

Anyway, glad that POS company is taking care of you.

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,282 Posts
Great... SA standing by their stuff.

They literally tried to take a **** on their customers here in IL. Ill take every chance I get to tell people to avoid them.

Anyway, glad that POS company is taking care of you.
Don't forget RRA too! SA has begun, and only begun, the process of redemption.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
I had on experience with them..it was a good one . sadly it was due to a quality control issue.

Reactions: TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

·
I do not consent.
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had on experience with them..it was a good one . sadly it was due to a quality control issue.
Yeah. Me too. Four Springer guns. Four significant Mfg QA problems. Four returns to the factory. This thread documents the first two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've generally had good luck with SA products and the couple of times I have had to use their customer service was excellent.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
I wish my experience with SA warranty was the same. I called after not receiving a confirmation the revived my pistol. Then got an email it was coming back repaired. There was no discussion of issues or updates as to the repair.

Then the repair they did required addition work on my part to actually make the gun function.

·
I do not consent.
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We shall see. I checked tracking and they received the guns back last Thursday. They did not contact me. There is good, solid documentation inside each pistol case, with a couple of basic requests that anyone should be able to meet - contact me for approval before return shipping, provide some basic explanation of what was done. The documentation is not complicated or long-winded, it’s less than a page of well-spaced text and bullet points, with a picture or two on the second page. I provided this for each gun.

I did not ask them to confirm receipt. I knew I could track it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
I do not consent.
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 week update:
Nothing to report. There has been no further communication with Springfield. None was expected.

·
I do not consent.
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Week 1.4 update:
Springfield just called. Pistols are ready to come home. Sounds like they did quite a bit of work. Even replaced the slide on the EMP3. Should be here on Friday.

Another update once I get them, and a final update once I shoot them. Really looking forward to that.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Week 1.4 update:
Springfield just called. Pistols are ready to come home. Sounds like they did quite a bit of work. Even replaced the slide on the EMP3. Should be here on Friday.

Another update once I get them, and a final update once I shoot them. Really looking forward to that.
That’s good to hear.

I was hoping they would replace the slide on my EMP3 but they chose the do a breach face bushing to relocate the firing pin hole. That was one of those things I never got word on until the gun was headed back.

·
I do not consent.
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That’s good to hear.

I was hoping they would replace the slide on my EMP3 but they chose the do a breach face bushing to relocate the firing pin hole. That was one of those things I never got word on until the gun was headed back.
They may have put a bushing in the EMP4. They didn't replace the slide. It was not as far off-center as the 3. They did replace both firing pins, and some other work. The 3 had hammer follow problems. The CSR said the invoice would list what all was done. She read off a long list, but I wasn't able to write it down. Should know more on Friday.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
I do not consent.
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Week 2.1 update: A very positive first impression.

Pistols arrived today, just as promised. It's been about 2 1/2 weeks since I shipped them out, 2 weeks and a day since they received them. A quick visual exam looks like they did everything I asked for. There is still a very slight overhang (on the EMP3) of the frame under the slide on the ejector side, but it is much less objectionable than the original slide and is well within acceptable tolerance for a mass production gun. Few would notice.

I will need to get them apart for a closer inspection, clean them good to make sure there are no metal filings from re-cutting the feed ramps, etc. And I will need to shoot them to see how the primer strikes are centered.

It does look like there could be a new firing pin bushing in the EMP4 - the bushing area is very shiny in the breech face, with a shiny vertical rectangle indicating it may have been filed a bit.

I don't know when I will get them to the range but everything looks good so far.

·
Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium
1,255 Posts
When every gun you make needs warranty work, you’d better have good customer service!
In my experience, I wouldn’t say that 3 defective pistols out of 5 purchased equates to every gun, but it is close. Batting .600 in the majors would bring you some big bucks.

·
I do not consent.
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's a fair statement. I bought four. All four experienced significant issues within the first 1000 rds. None was reliable enough to complete a full-day training class. All four cost in excess of $900.

Springfield has significant quality control challenges. I wouldn't buy another $1000+ Springfield but there is no argument that this appears to be excellent customer service. I will know for sure when I get them apart and do a thorough inspection.
When every gun you make needs warranty work, you’d better have good customer service!
Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts