1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first attempt at building a 1911 from parts. During black Friday I picked up a PSA frame to practice on, and a Nighthawk frame if I didn't mess up the PSA frame to bad . Actually, I really wanted to start a RMR 1911 build on a Nighthawk frame. But I thought better of that idea once I saw the $99 PSA frames, and I had sobered up a little, and read alot, and lurked the forums...you guys are a wealth of information!

I actually bought everything for the RMR build. Mostly Ed Brown parts,, RMR slide, barrel, etc., and of course the Nighthawk frame. But, everything except for the RMR slide/barrel and NH frame are going on this PSA build instead.

I'll try to update as I have time, but below is where I'm at so far....

Update: Here is my build list

PSA frame
Remsport slide, barrel/bushing and all slide parts
Ed Brown perfection sear, disconnect, 3 hole Alum. trigger, SS Hammer
Ed Brown slide stop, mag release
Ed Brown Match ambi safety
NH SS trigger spur, sear spring
Railscales Ascend grips
Ed Brown SS .250 beavertail
Ed Brown all SS pin set (repair kit)
Maxi-Well magwell with Crosslink III

Still need a set of sights, I'm thinking the Kensight DAS 1911 Defense Adjustable set. Need to see where it shoots first so I may fit a blank up front and pick up the rear first.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was kind of hesitant about taking a file to my Nighthawk frame, but I didn't feel bad at all with the PSA frame. I gathered all the tools I had that could whittle a hunk of steel down to a nub. Back in the day I worked on CNC style equipment for a Swiss company. Spent 8 months working in their shop over there. They had loads of beautiful equipment to work with, new guys got files...

In my garage I found some of my old stuff, including a pretty new, 30 year old, Nicholoson file. I hear you guys think highly of them, so I figured it was apt to use. I started with something easy to see if I could do something creative without wrecking what could otherwise be a nice steak dinner and a couple of drinks.

So here I started by blending the Maxi-Well back strap to the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought that was pretty easy! And halfway decent looking. I want to blend in the magwell, but I'm not sure if I want to tackle that yet. So I decided that I needed to go ahead and install the beavertail since that was definitely something that needed to happen...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
The best part is you are now loading full size pics!!!! :grin::grin::grin::grin:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's a nice jig you made! Unfortunately I'm lacking in some needed tools. Like even a tool to hold the frame in the vise. So for the top blend I installed the sear spring, a piece of plastic and the backstrap. Then i used my soft grips to hold the frame in a vise. It seemed to work well...

Guitar accessory Metal Steel Tool Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Knocked out the trigger and the clearance for the GS engagement. Trigger was kinda tricky, it was hanging up and at first I didn't catch it, but it was the track the bow was riding in, not the trigger shoe like I initially thought.

Next up is installing the sear, hammer and getting the thumb safety to clear the sear.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.