1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
We Are!
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve let my AR sit unattended for literally a couple of years while devoting all manner of range time to handguns. The recent acquisition of a CAR-style upper receiver saw me finally take the AR along to the range recently.

The lower on this gun is from a no-frills Bushmaster Patrolman’s Carbine; the upper an 11.5-inch barreled job with a permanently-attached 5.5-inch flash hider.

A real rifleman (carbineman?) I ain’t, clearly - my 25-yard groups shown here may make you real rifle-folk on the Forum throw up a little bit in your ammo cans. For me, this is darn good shootin’ for a long-gun haha.

Zero issues with the marriage of this upper and lower, save when I managed to pack 21 or 22 rounds into a 20-round mag - the gun decidedly did NOT care for that. Smooth shooting otherwise.

More to come as the range outings with the AR continue. Kinda thinking of snagging a PSA or other lower with a full buttstock to attach to the Bushy upper - we shall see.

CBBEBCAB-002D-461A-8823-BA3AE7AF6A04.jpeg
FFE2D320-FEBB-49E6-A05C-9E2FF323A190.jpeg
49746A9D-9B93-4C9D-84C1-E5F8C8B48C99.jpeg
2C372C30-FB55-4B16-8F40-7508AF307FCC.jpeg

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Your rounds are hitting the spot that matters.

·
We Are!
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all!

I wondered if my fellow shooters on the “rifle side” of the indoor range I frequent wondered why I was using IDPA targets haha - they’re what I know and love from my long-term intense handgun concentration LOL! :)

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
Oh No Iron Sites.....Are you sure you know how they work? Just where the hell did you dig up that relic. However I can top you with an old Bushmaster with no SD or forward assist.....

Only thing important is Minute of Man when the SHTF.

Karsten

·
We Are!
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Karsten - “minute of man,” yes! I’ve heard it called “minute of bad guy” also haha...

·
We Are!
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One observation from the range outing. I fired only about 150 rounds through this AR this session (was under a bit of time-pressure and wanted to get some more rounds though a 1911 in the same session). This carbine’s handguards do not have heat shield inserts. “No biggie” thought I as I was doing a pre-cleaning of the upper before the range-trip.

The handguard area did, ah, heat up a bit by the 100-round mark. Before then, actually. My sensitive, butter-smooth mitts took notice (ha-ha).

Not a real problem at this stage, just something that made me chuckle.

Forgot to mention - I was shooting Federal 55-grain .223 and used a mix of 20-round mags (three from Brownell’s and an older Colt-branded mag) and a couple of older Magpul 30-rounders.

Reactions: UBOATDOC

·
Banned
1,474 Posts
One observation from the range outing. I fired only about 150 rounds through this AR this session (was under a bit of time-pressure and wanted to get some more rounds though a 1911 in the same session). This carbine’s handguards do not have heat shield inserts. “No biggie” thought I as I was doing a pre-cleaning of the upper before the range-trip.

The handguard area did, ah, heat up a bit by the 100-round mark. Before then, actually. My sensitive, butter-smooth mitts took notice (ha-ha).

Not a real problem at this stage, just something that made me chuckle.

Forgot to mention - I was shooting Federal 55-grain .223 and used a mix of 20-round mags (three from Brownell’s and an older Colt-branded mag) and a couple of older Magpul 30-rounders.

Just to note...The above reply was all is jest....Trust me, I have old school stuff. Pick up a leather glove for your left hand...It will help.

Karsten

·
We Are!
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^ @Karsten, no worries, I read you as jesting. And I really need to grabe some glovage, for sure!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I agree, the handguns tend to get too much love in range time, need to breakout the ARs more often at my house as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts