My First AR Range Time in a While

Discussion in 'AR Forum' started by WhoIsJohnGalt?, Feb 2, 2019.

1. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    I’ve let my AR sit unattended for literally a couple of years while devoting all manner of range time to handguns. The recent acquisition of a CAR-style upper receiver saw me finally take the AR along to the range recently.

The lower on this gun is from a no-frills Bushmaster Patrolman’s Carbine; the upper an 11.5-inch barreled job with a permanently-attached 5.5-inch flash hider.

A real rifleman (carbineman?) I ain’t, clearly - my 25-yard groups shown here may make you real rifle-folk on the Forum throw up a little bit in your ammo cans. For me, this is darn good shootin’ for a long-gun haha.

Zero issues with the marriage of this upper and lower, save when I managed to pack 21 or 22 rounds into a 20-round mag - the gun decidedly did NOT care for that. Smooth shooting otherwise.

More to come as the range outings with the AR continue. Kinda thinking of snagging a PSA or other lower with a full buttstock to attach to the Bushy upper - we shall see.

CBBEBCAB-002D-461A-8823-BA3AE7AF6A04.jpeg FFE2D320-FEBB-49E6-A05C-9E2FF323A190.jpeg 49746A9D-9B93-4C9D-84C1-E5F8C8B48C99.jpeg 2C372C30-FB55-4B16-8F40-7508AF307FCC.jpeg

2. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    Actually pretty okay shooting, Aubyn.

3. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Your rounds are hitting the spot that matters.

WhoIsJohnGalt? and ImperialBlade like this.
  4. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
  5. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    Thank you all!

I wondered if my fellow shooters on the “rifle side” of the indoor range I frequent wondered why I was using IDPA targets haha - they’re what I know and love from my long-term intense handgun concentration LOL! :)

6. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Oh No Iron Sites.....Are you sure you know how they work? Just where the hell did you dig up that relic. However I can top you with an old Bushmaster with no SD or forward assist.....

Only thing important is Minute of Man when the SHTF.

Karsten

WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.
  7. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    @Karsten - “minute of man,” yes! I’ve heard it called “minute of bad guy” also haha...

8. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    One observation from the range outing. I fired only about 150 rounds through this AR this session (was under a bit of time-pressure and wanted to get some more rounds though a 1911 in the same session). This carbine’s handguards do not have heat shield inserts. “No biggie” thought I as I was doing a pre-cleaning of the upper before the range-trip.

The handguard area did, ah, heat up a bit by the 100-round mark. Before then, actually. My sensitive, butter-smooth mitts took notice (ha-ha).

Not a real problem at this stage, just something that made me chuckle.

Forgot to mention - I was shooting Federal 55-grain .223 and used a mix of 20-round mags (three from Brownell’s and an older Colt-branded mag) and a couple of older Magpul 30-rounders.

UBOATDOC likes this.
  9. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013

Just to note...The above reply was all is jest....Trust me, I have old school stuff. Pick up a leather glove for your left hand...It will help.

Karsten

10. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    ^^ @Karsten, no worries, I read you as jesting. And I really need to grabe some glovage, for sure!

11. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    I agree, the handguns tend to get too much love in range time, need to breakout the ARs more often at my house as well.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted