My first AR

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Stogies, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    This will be my first experience with an AR so I apologise if I seem ignorant on the topic.
    I'm considering a JP GMR15.
    I like everything about the platform.
    Glock mags.
    9mm.
    Low recoil.
    Blow back design.
    I'm ready to jump in, am I missing something!

boatdoc, Glock2740 and Kip like this.
  2. azguy1911

azguy1911 Screw it, I'm buying more 1911's

Oct 22, 2015
    I'm in for comments, I'd like to hear what experts say about 9mm ARs. There are some big Black Friday sales out this way

Stogies likes this.

3. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    @45caldude

PM him for infinite knowledge! Oops, just realized we’re talking about 9mm’s, don’t think he’s big into those.

I loved my Wilson AR9G. You’ll love 9mm in an AR.

45caldude, boatdoc and Stogies like this.
  4. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I will jump in with both feet.....$1800 for a 9MM carbine that isn't going to shoot any better than a $600.00 9MM carbine.....Keltec and Ruger both make 9MM Carbines that use Glock Mags.

That is my expert opinion unless I have a land line to a JP rep to sell me on why.

I had better go back to the dark ages where a rifle was a rifle.

Stogies......Just sleep on this one.

Karsten

5. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    Ok, forget the maker. What about the caliber?

UBOATDOC likes this.
  6. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    If it were my first AR, I would get a Colt 6920 in 5.56 for half of what you are planning on paying

simonp, blamo, boatdoc and 7 others like this.
  7. NPV

NPV Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2017
    ^^Pretty good advice there, one of the best for the price.

If I were you I’d take a step back and ask myself what is it gonna be used for. If it’s just going to be plinking I’d consider 5.56 with how little ammunition costs right now. Hunting, maybe go .300 BLK.

With a caliber like 9mm in an AR you lose the availability of universal parts compatibility. If you are really sold on 9mm I believe there are better platforms especially for th money. Seeing as you would lose out on perhaps the bigget advantage of owning an AR.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Busa Dave, boatdoc and Stogies like this.
  8. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    What do want to use it for?

Pistol caliber carbines are, IMHO, useless for anything but IDPA and USPSA competitions.

5.56/223 is vastly superior to 9mm for self defense. This is a hard fact. If you want a home defense gun, don't waste your time with a 9mm carbine.

The recoil of an AR-15 (5.55 NATO) is really small. In fact, my CZ Scorpion carbine (9mm) has about the same recoil as my AR-15. That's because of the blowback operation of the Scorpion. The reciprocating mass of a blowback action makes the gun kind of... bouncy. I find the gas operating system of an AR much smoother and more pleasant to shoot.

9. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Also be advised that AR9's tend to have reliability issues.

Busa Dave and Stogies like this.
  10. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    Have a 6920....love 6920....6920!!!!! Or go full, I mean full custom and they are much more than 1800. but consider that you can buy a nice 5.56mm AR and then get another upper/mag/BCG for a different caliber is one of the truly great things about the platform. Or get a reasonably priced AR for 750.00 and a clean used M14/M1A platform and step out big with some real firepower for same price as over priced AR.

11. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    The nice thing about a traditional rifle design is that you don't have to worry so much about Height Over Bore (HOB) effects when shooting up close. No need to hold 2 inches high when shooting inside of 15 yards, as you do with an AR.

boatdoc likes this.
  12. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Colt AR's are way overpriced for what you get. The only reason to buy Colt, is if you want to build an M4 clone.

BCM would be a much better option, if you want a modern design with floating hanguard.

FWoo45 likes this.
  13. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    Let me clarify my question.
    I'm less concerned with maker and more interested in opinions on the caliber

14. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Um, really? How much better in a 300m carbine?

I would take 5.56 over 9mm in a carbine, just for the velocity/muzzle energy bonus

simonp likes this.
  15. texasnurse

texasnurse Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2016
    My recommendations:
    Colt 6920
    Aero-15m
    Springfield Saint
    DPMS Oracle

Sent from my iPhone with a general disregard for the masses

Busa Dave and UBOATDOC like this.
  16. NPV

NPV Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2017
    While I agree BCM is superior, Colt makes a very good AR for the price. Thy can be had for well under $1k.

17. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Personally I’ve never understood the use of a pistol round in a long gun.... but that’s just me. I mean, I get the use of a 45-cal in a Thompson Machine gun but the operative word there is “machine gun”! I’d probably be a little more receptive to the idea of an AR pistol - but even those don’t exploit the full capabilities of what the 5.56 round was designed to do, in a long gun. Guess I’m just too “old school” to be satisfied with the inherent limitations of such hybrid weaponry.

18. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    I think it's a good idea.
    In fact I think it's such a good idea you should buy two and send me one. :p
    OH YEAH !!!

boatdoc, Old Sea Dragon and Stogies like this.
  19. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
    Just opened a bigoldshithole on this one @Stogies.
    My first AR style rifle was a PSA/Anderson 556 Nato built by a forum member, just 2 years ago. $500 and it is just really fun to shoot and very reliable.
    Pistol calibers are better suited for a carbine style rifle, not an AR. As always, just my humble opinion, your results may vary...

20. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    boatdoc likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted