My first range trip with Mr. Wilson......

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by Fire-Medic, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    Well the XTAC I had left a deposit on a week ago followed me home today, and I couldn't help but load as much ammo as time allowed before I had to hit the road to catch the last hour of the range being open. I am the proud new owner of a two tone Black/Grey Wilson XTAC 5" 1911. I had initially put down the deposit on a two tone Ed Brown Special Forces, but the EB felt too slick with the finish, the chain link was not sufficient grip for my taste, and the grips were completely smooth, not a good combination for me on a pistol that will see a lot of use, especially outdoors in training environments. I listened to my gut and switched that over to the Wilson and boy am I happy with that decision. This is the first time I have spent this much on a pistol, and this is my first Wilson, and first semi-custom gun. I was in the market for a GI No Name, but that just didn't work out for me. I will leave that at that as voicing my frustration on that subject would anger a few around here and not lead to anything constructive.

I was only able to load 132 rounds today, it was a decision of either get that loaded and go shoot, or load a boat load and not shoot today, well last week was a long week for me, and this upcoming week will be hectic as well, so I decided to go shoot whatever I could load in the time allowed. My loads right now are as follows: 200gr Missouri Bullet LSWC over 6.3gr's WSF, Winchester Large Pistol Primers, mixed once fired brass, OAL= 1.250". This is where I left off with the TRP Operator not too long ago. 132 rounds of this load, not one stoppage, very soft shooting, but the brass is not ejecting as strong from the XTAC as this same load did in the TRP last week, I will (for now) attribute that to the Wilson being brand new and tightly fit. The TRP was bought used. I ended the range session with 10 rounds of Remington Bonded Golden Sabre 230gr Hollow Points. I bought a box of 50 to hold me over for now as this pistol will be my CCW gun.

The gun came in a very nice high quality range bag, with a different script and logo combo than I have seen before, the final inspection sheet was signed 01/26/2012 so this is as fresh as it gets. Spec sheets states trigger pull at 3 & 3/4 pounds, and it feels awesome, no over travel, no creep, just a nice clean break and short reset. This pistol came with the new Wilson rear battle sight, mine is serrated (which I do prefer) and a green fiber optic front sight. This combination allows for a quick acquisition of the sight picture and was not difficult for me to shoot with. Some on the net have stated this combo shot low for them and it took time to get use to, I had no issue. The "X" pattern serrations on the rear of the slide, and "X" pattern treatment to the front strap and MSH are a winner in my book. This combined with the "Starburst" grips is a winner in my book. I have seen some reviews where people state it's too rough, tears up your hands, and you can't carry it against bare skin, I disagree 100% with all of this and had no such issue. I love the color, the finish is not slippery like on the EB, the gun is a laser, and even with the hollow points recoil feels like nothing. This is an amazing tool, and I do believe I will be shooting "A LOT" this year. :laugh:

The fit and finish of this pistol is superb, you get a test target, mine is amazing, the bottom portion has checked off which of the smiths worked on the pistol, and they have a sticker attached with the load data of the rounds they used. Yes wilson test fires their pistols with 200gr LSWC, I have seen a couple of different brands of powder but the same as far as all other specs.

I am no marksman or operator, and today's shooting was not my best ever, but I had not shot in many months (almost a year) until I got out this year in January to shoot, and today's shooting was good enough for me. It's such an easy to shoot pistol, it handles well, and well there is just nothing bad to say. There isn't a single thing on this pistol I want to change at this moment. The ONLY thing I "might" change in the future is the front sight in favor of a Gold Bead, but I am going to give the F/O sight it's fair chance. I have the (2) 47D mags that came with the gun, and (2) additional 47D mags in black that were thrown into the deal. Not a single hiccup today with any of them.

I'm sure I missed some stuff, I will edit the post as necessary, but I had a fun time and can't wait to shoot it again, and will be taking it for a spin in my first IDPA match in a couple of weeks if time allows. I am well aware that 142 rounds total is nothing, but it's all I could squeeze in and I had no issues so it's a good start, I will post more as I shoot more, but I am completely amazed at this pistol and very satisfied with my purchase.

I was shooting at 10 yards offhand, and alternating between shapes/colors for each shot. I try to hit the center of the object and move to another as fast and safe as possible, it's all I can do at this range which does not allow rapid fire or drawing from a holster.

Here are some pics for good measure:

IMG_4248.jpg

IMG_4251.jpg

mail_2-1.jpg

View attachment 2200

mail-1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    IMG_4254.jpg

IMG_4256.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

3. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Beautiful gun and interesting back story -quite a pistol rug you get with that, too. Also, I doubt it would be a problem here to rationally discuss a frustration you might have had with a manufacturer or dealer. This isn't TOS. Or is that TOOS?

4. Outlaw450

Outlaw450 Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Good thing my smartphone is waterproof as its now covered in drool. Nice pick.

5. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    Great write up and awesome gun. I'm not sure how I feel about the X pattern, but I wouldn't turn it down either.

Thanks for the pics and story.

6. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Good for you. Great decision. I may get a XTAC when Wilson offers it in 9MM.

7. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Wicked looking gun. Congrats. Would like to see a pic from the back of the X pattern if you could.

8. deadguy

deadguy Jack Welch Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Thank you for the review. Very nice.

9. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    That is a beaut. Got me thinking about a Wilson now that I have my Nighthawk, Baer, and Brown.:thumb:

10. Pathfinder06

Pathfinder06 Disciple of JMB

Oct 1, 2011
    Very nice pistol and review.... Congrats.

11. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Great decision!

I'm a bit "old skool" will take some time to get used to the x-pattern texture.
    All in all, it looks great, seems to shoot well, great review.

Congrats Gabe!

12. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    I like the price of the Xtac compared to most all of the Wilson line up. Looks grippy

13. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    The lead SWC load cost me as much or less to load than the 9mm FMJ I was loading, so for me it's a wash caliber wise. One of the best money I ever spent when I first got into firearms and started shooting a lot was investing in my reloading setup.

14. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    I will work on this for you sometime today......

15. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    This is what first got me interested. I called Wilson direct and asked the difference between the CQB and XTAC and was told the X pattern on the slide, front strap, and main spring housing was the only difference. The store I bought it from had the XTAC $500 less than a CQB, and I happened to like the X pattern after seeing it in person and feeling how functional it is, so I didn't want to spend the extra cash for a gun with standard checkering that many more people have versus this one. Plus to me the two tone is just killer :biggrin1:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  16. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    Thanks brother, too bad you're not down here anymore, or you'd be shooting it. I haven't had this much fun at the range since I shot your Colt Repro a few years back which was the first 1911 I ever shot.

17. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Congrats on the new Wilson. :thumb:

18. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Glad I could pass along some of the addiction!
    Once the Wife leaves on her "business trip" I'll get in a bit more range time!

19. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    When is the trip?

20. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    Toward the end of Feb,........:Cry:

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted