1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I have to agree both are keepers. Love my 686 plus and the wife! lol

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wow! That's the first titanium cylinder I've seen. Great looking grips.
S&W used to sell titanium cylinders through their parts department, but ceased doing so several years ago. This one came from a seller on eBay that had a spare NOS cylinder left over from a 386 that he previously owned.

The grips are Hogue Pau Ferro conversion grips with a stripe cap. By far my favorite wood grip for these guns. Ahrends retro targets are also great, but just a tad too skinny for a full lug S&W IMO. I also purchased a couple sets of VZ tactical diamond conversion grips during their Black Friday sale and they are quite nice as well...albeit with a much different grip angle.

If you are planning to purchase a set of grips and need photos of the Ahrends or VZ's, just let me know. I also have a spare set of Hogue Jerry Miculek K/L grips if you are in need of them.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been looking at the Ahrends and the Altamont grips. Have not looked at VZ grips for a revolver. I like the idea of conversion grips. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have been looking at the Ahrends and the Altamont grips. Have not looked at VZ grips for a revolver. I like the idea of conversion grips. Thanks for the info.
Nothing wrong with Altamont grips. They are nicely fit and finished even though they are laminate. I've owned a few sets of their targets with medallions installed, but just didn't care for the square profile of the grip horns and backstrap.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
I’ve always been a big fan to the 686 but have never owned one.

I have a customer with a 6” 686 from the early 80’s that’s in the original box and maybe been shot a couple times. I’ve been trying to work a deal for awhile. Maybe Christmas will be kind to me as well.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Congratulations ! I’ve always liked the 686.

·
Get off my lawn...
17,465 Posts
I’ve always been a big fan to the 686 but have never owned one.

I have a customer with a 6” 686 from the early 80’s that’s in the original box and maybe been shot a couple times. I’ve been trying to work a deal for awhile. Maybe Christmas will be kind to me as well.
They are indeed a very robust revolver. The added weight of the full underlug, and L Frame, makes for an extremely capable wheel gun! Lets just say they soak up a good deal of recoil when pushing full house magnums down range.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have only shot a revolver a few times. I went to get some ammo and there wasn't a whole lot to choose from but I got a couple boxes of Win. 158gr fmj in .38 and one box of Rem 125 gr. soft points (I think) in .357. I shot some .357 rounds first and I must say the recoil was significant. That will take some getting used to. The .38 rounds shot very softly and were a lot of fun. I would hope that I could find or reload .357 rounds that shoot softer than the ones I bought???

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.