My Fox Mustang Project

Discussion in 'Photography' started by dgi, Nov 12, 2018.

1. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Ive owned this car since 2000.

B8CB3837-E9A9-4CD0-B643-FBE1F9601145.jpeg

I bought it for $650 and it was hit in the front. We put it back together at a friends shop and ive been fiddling with it ever since.

Its motor is bone stock and its got a bunch of brake and suspension upgrades.

Ive been talking about painting it for a while and the time has finally come.

Decided I wanted to change it up so its going to turn red and become a tribute to the 1993 Cobra R.

I like the minimalist approach Ford took when designing the “R” cars back then so we’ll run with that.

Taking it to a local shop to have engine bay and drivetrain pulled later this week if all goes to plan.

I decided to begin body/interior tear down at home.

6CB6CDDD-FA82-42EE-9751-F106A6738D60.jpeg 4D8C5643-8EEB-4025-8937-F71801F7BB50.jpeg B95603F6-8AD7-4667-8D97-27DFF7657D75.jpeg 8C8B8906-B9A0-4ACE-87F0-63335F7523F0.jpeg

0B099A8B-21CD-478A-8C1A-01ACCF2CD8D5.jpeg

While the motor is out there will be some other upgrades along the way depending on how the budget goes.

Really looking forward to seeing this finally take shape!

2. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
    Tagged for updates! :)

dgi likes this.

3. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    This looks fun! :grin:

dgi likes this.
  4. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    This is the car im modeling my resto-mod on:

F49D3FAD-B489-48C8-A90C-59B01D58EB16.jpeg 95E728BF-F80B-4228-BA14-D0D84FE766BE.jpeg

Cervibi’s Cobra conversion kit is sitting in my shed

Im going to keep the wheels off of the 95R as they are needed to clear the front brakes that are off of a 00R (see where ive been going with this?)

I’d prefer not to run exhaust out of the rear so that I dont have to fish the pipes through the rear suspension setup... might try some side exit pipes like what this guy did:

DA9C6F3A-32FA-4189-85A9-FF8FD604DB75.jpeg

It hasnt had a rear seat, stereo, A/C for quite some time. Finally got around to deleting rear seat belts, speakers and some insulation.

I’ll be taking out the aftermarket alarm i had installed back in the early days of ownership. I’ll also be ripping out cruise controll and simplifying the harness as much as possible to get rid of connectors i no longer need.

The bulk of the “delete” process will happen under the hood however.

5. griffonsec

griffonsec Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I've had a few, and tracked a 99 Cobra for several years. Ran single chamber FlowMaster mufflers on it, with side turnouts (although not as far to the side as the one in pic).

The 00R front brakes are nice, but I had just as good an experience with factory PBR calipers, Carbotech pads, and Baer 2 piece rotors.

wcanterbury and dgi like this.
  6. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    I would prefer the PBR calipers for more wheel selection but ive been happy with the 95R wheels for a while. Its also alot cheaper than having the chance to buy CCW/Fikse/Forgelines lol

Ive got no complaints about brake feel. I previously autocrossed this car. Doubt it will see much track time after its fresh from paint.

FWoo45, wcanterbury and griffonsec like this.
  7. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    I have had 3 Mustangs over the years, my favorite being a 91 LX 5.0 fastback that was a great car and amongst my favorite of the about 60 cars I have owned. I still check out old Fox bodied rides and they exist in pretty good condition in NM. As nice as the Coyote powered newer ones are......I still dig older Mustangs.

8. Mini Me

Mini Me Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2018
    I’ll be following as well. I have had around a dozen mustangs over the years, 3 were fox bodied. They were some of the most fun to drive.

dgi likes this.
  9. griffonsec

Feb 24, 2012
    Lord I did want some CCWs....!! I ran 03 Cobra Anniversary wheels on track, they cleared Brembos as well.

Should be a fun project, I miss my Mustangs (all of them) and have a hankering for a 4-eye GT with T-Tops to turn into another track-ish car with IRS.

Gotta do single chamber flows!

10. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    The classic Pony Car! Love it! I've had 3 Mustangs over my life and still have my 1999 SVT Cobra Mustang. No real upgrades to the engine but I have done a ton of suspension PICT0250.JPG and brake upgrades.

11. DETROIT

DETROIT Member

Jun 29, 2014
    I love them fox bodies!! The only downside about dumping the exhaust in front of the rear tire, is you will get tons of exhaust fumes in the cab. Go over the axle.

Speedy396 likes this.
  12. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    It came to me with single chamber Flowmasters and I deleted the cats before it hit the road ;-)

Ive got a spare set of 10th Anniversary SVT wheels ive been saving for track work but have them for sale at the moment to free up garage space and $$. I really prefer the look of the wheels I have on there anyway and they are alot easier to clean (although I never do)

Theres a 2003-04 Cobra steering rack sitting on the shelf waiting to go in once its out of paint. Debated plenty to run a manual rack to clean up the engine bay a bit but not sure how much fun that would be to cruise around in.

wcanterbury and griffonsec like this.
  13. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    8B3AB084-54E6-4A4F-A3CA-FE19A47FF595.jpeg All you Mustang nuts in here:

Anyone have any experience with Jones Racing components?

41 Charlie and wcanterbury like this.
  14. DETROIT

DETROIT Member

Jun 29, 2014
    No but a 2016 coyote engine has forged internals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wcanterbury and griffonsec like this.
  15. griffonsec

Feb 24, 2012
    I never had fume issues in my cabin, but again, they weren't just dumped, they were turned out towards the side. With the IRS in the car, I'd have heat issues with the diff, even running a cooler. That turnout made a difference.

[​IMG]NSS 2005 1 (1 of 1) by Steven Ragan, on Flickr

[​IMG]NSS 2006 1 (1 of 1) by Steven Ragan, on Flickr

16. Red-5

Red-5 Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Mustang II front suspension conversion and Coyote gives you a nice Fox.

While I love the Fox, still prefer the 60's.

UBOATDOC and griffonsec like this.
  17. griffonsec

Feb 24, 2012
  18. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Theres a Fox at the shop that'll yank my motor getting a 2015 Coyote (or whatever they call that year motor) swap.

I've priced them out a couple times (would really love to have a Terminator in there) but it seems theres no way to do it without spending $15K+. Since I dig the old school cam thumping sound, I'll stick with my 302 and go with some aluminum heads. That'll drop some weight and get it to around 300rwhp. Should be fun compared to my ~190rwhp or so that the factory engine puts out.

For those who care:

Holley Systemax II intake
    AFR 165 heads
    Anderson Motorsport cam (not sure which yet)

The supporting mods have yet to be determined but it would be a shame to get the engine by all pretty and throw a dirty old motor in there. Figure now is the time ;)

Was considering an Ed Curtis custom cam but not sure I "need" it. Will talk to Ed after I pick up the heads from him and see what his turn around time is.

FWIW: Exhaust will not be dumped. It will either go out the side of the car in front of the rear wheels or it will use LX style tips to go out the Cobra style rear bumper.

19. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Some more progress!

Carpet is out, interior strip is complete.

Im debating pulling the dash so the painter can get into the door jams a bit easier but i’ll talk with him today and see what he says.

I do have a non-A/C HVAC controller to swap in along with a firewall plug that deletes the A/C components from inside the cabin that Id like to install. Probably a good idea to do a heater core while im in there also.

Pulling the carpet brought back some memories!

When I first bought the car, it needed body work. It spent 6 months at a friends shop going back together whenever he had a chance to work on it. We finished it just in time for a weekend trip to the ocean! I got home at 3am on the way back (still living at my dad’s house). My pops wakes me up at 6am to tell me that someone busted out all my windows and popped my tires. Great welcome to Mustang ownership lol

Well yesterday I found remnants of the broken glass hiding under the factory carpet haha

I also managed to pull all the speakers and amplifier out of the car finally. I’ll weigh all the stuff ive pulled out to see how much lighter I’ll be when the car is done :)

8ED2A1FD-9CB3-48F3-9387-6ADF7E7C418F.jpeg B87EDC56-2225-4BA4-AE67-11FB210EB6B1.jpeg

KS95B40, 41 Charlie, FWoo45 and 5 others like this.
  20. DETROIT

DETROIT Member

Jun 29, 2014
    You really can’t go wrong with a 302, and they sound / run great with the Ford F303 cam!

The dash really don’t need to come out, but if your going into great detail on the Fox I would pull it.

Scaramouche likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted