My GunBroker Experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JRK1990, Apr 23, 2019.

1. JRK1990

JRK1990 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    So, few days ago I thought I got a sweet deal. The item a S&W 629 Competitor used with the description of only fired 12 times. The seller noted he's needing to sell some of his collection. Sitting at a bid of $925 with only a few minutes left I jumped on it and put a bid of $930 and minutes later I won. Yay me right? I reach out to thee seller telling him that I'll send him the USPS Money order Monday. Four or five hours pass and the seller reaches out to me saying congratulations and all the usual yay talk nothing of use until the end where he says to have my FFL email him directly with their email, or for me to reach out to his FFL that he named and get their info and have my FFL send theirs. I kinda thought that was odd but o well. I reply asking to confirm address and a day passes no reply. Next day nothing. I get curious and take a closer look at the auction and noticed he used pictures from another big seller sportsmansupply. So I email him asking about that, and you guess it no reply. So now it's Monday and I still have nothing from him. I use his info on his GunBroker account and send the money orders to that address and email him the tracking. Now Today I still hadn't heard from him so I text the number on his account and few hours later he replies saying he got my FFL info which by the way was sent to the same email that my other emails went. I then asked if his address was still correct as listed on GunBroker. Two minutes later he replies with I still haven't received payment once I do I'll let you know and ship. Word for word his reply. I inquire again about the pictures and hours later still no reply. All this triggered my scam radar and I redirected the money orfers back. I told him that and said if he will explain the pictures I'll be more then happy to resend the money orders. I reached out to GunBroker and informed them about it all .This seller has 142 A+ reviews but only one transaction recently and it was in February. Maybe I'm being too picky but I know whenever I sale a gun I answer the buyers questions I also should of more picky and noticed the watermarks before I bidded. Have mercy on me here I typed this all on my phone. haha

2. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Sounds like an inexperienced seller that's too lazy to take their own photos.

Call his FFL and verify they, a) are in fact a brick and mortar location, and b) have possession of his gun. Have the seller take photos of said gun with a piece of paper and with today's date and your name.

Offer to send money order to the FFL upon receipt of the above. When FFL gets payment, he is to ship.

3. JRK1990

Jan 2, 2019
    I'm 100% down with that problem I keep running into is getting the guy to communicate at all.

Bro. Pappaw and Colorado Sonny like this.
  4. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014

Sometimes I will go a day or two without hitting a particular site, but when I am selling something, I try to be a bit punctual with replies.

5. JRK1990

Jan 2, 2019
    I'm the same, especially when it's close to a $1000 haha

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    I use GB for pricing reference only. Learned my lesson... Buy face to face, or with an established member of a few forums I trust.

You got your $, so ball is in the seller's court.

7. JRK1990

Jan 2, 2019
    I'm usually the same way, I've bought some stuff from GunBroker and never had a issue until now. I just saw what I thought was a good deal and jumped too soon. Lucky right now it looks like the mistake will only cost me around $26.

8. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Does the G.B. Colt "Phony Pony" bring anything to mind???? I'm done with Gone Broker.

9. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I'm not using gunbroker for anything other than pricing anymore. Had a bad experience recently where a gun was misrepresented and it would've been illegal to import to ca. Gunbroker wasn't helpful at all and wanted me to pay for the listing. I'm done, which is a shame as I thought it could be a good resource. YMMV.

simonp and JRK1990 like this.
  10. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Only brave enough once to hit the button of no return on GB. Before I commited checked to see if the Seller was a bonafied gun shop and dealer in Okla. Looked the shop up on line and the gentlemen’s name, felt pretty confident after that, all went as planned. What gets me is how do these guys get the positive ratings, everyone in their family giving the thumbs up? After hearing your story and some of the others here in the forum lately, I think I’m sticking to the face to face transaction. Hope it works out ok for you.

JRK1990 likes this.
  11. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Probably inexperienced seller combined with not being tech savvy . They make it a lot easier to use a file photo . Also may not have his phone on line or on gun broker . I run into that myself . My phone is not on line , people email me and I wont see it till I'm at home on line . I'm an analog man in a digital world .

JRK1990 and xerts1191 like this.
  12. JRK1990

Jan 2, 2019
    The seller replied to my picture with a paper with the date on it request with a big lengthy rant on how it won't be any different and that he's been selling for years and he will sale for many more. He said he didn't reply to my emails because he doesn't like back and fourth's he would rather get FFL info and money then tell you that Its shipped. He offered to cancel with no hard feelings and I took him up on that. Who sales something for close to a $1000 then ignores a seller question about confirming address that they are sending the money to you?! And about a picture used from another GunBroker seller? Like really. Sketchy as crap to me.

13. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Had plenty of good buys there...... however.. you only have to barf from drinking cheap vermouth once to know not to touch it again..... just sayin.

14. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014

I would say that you dodged a bullet . . .

xerts1191 and ORShooter like this.
  15. 2sharp2

2sharp2 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    My Red Flag Alert would have went off a long time before yours did!
    Ok so he is not a scammer, but he exhibited traits of a scammer, slow and no communication, not his own photos, etc. All sellers are not people persons, but IMO anyone listing on big online sites should make a extra hard effort to communicate with a buyer. I think you did the right thing.
    This year on GunsInternational, I bought a rifle but my FFL contacted the seller and she thought he was not following the firearms rules and I stopped my MO. I called GI and was told he was legit. I let that rifle go, didn't lose any money.
    Last year I purchased from a seller just like yours when I bought a switchblade. Would not respond to emails and texts, impossible to reach by phone. I finally received the knife but it took twice as long as it should have.
    GunBroker seller shipped me a bolt action rifle with the bolt still in the action. Arrived last week via UPS, yep bolt handle was broken off. Still waiting for UPS to send inspector to see if they will pay anything for damage. Seller told me by phone it was "my fault" because I didn't buy insurance as he states I should do from his listing. He was worthless.

xerts1191 and JRK1990 like this.
  16. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    GB purchases=box of chocolates. Most are good, a few taste bad. Extreme caution is a virtue on GB deals.

xerts1191, Novak77, Busa Dave and 4 others like this.
  17. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I’ve picked up six firearms off of GB but only from dealers with stores. Actually I’ve only purchased from two dealers, one gun from one and five from the other! I like him snd he has what I’m looking for. I’m not sure I would buy from an individual.

xerts1191, JRK1990 and UBOATDOC like this.
  18. Caeserslegion

Caeserslegion Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Wow, I have 140+ transactions on GB, have several that were a little unusual, but as has been said earlier, probably an inexperienced seller. I am glad that everything worked out for you. I really like the service that GB provides me.

JRK1990 likes this.
  19. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Caesers,
    Gunbroker really doesn't provide a service to the buyer, they are providing a service to the seller by finding them a buyer. You'll know if you ever have a problem as a buyer, Gunbroker won't help you with jack****. They will help the seller only a little because that's the only way they can get paid from a sale.

I've got an A+ rating on GB'er with 217 transactions WITHOUT any negatives or neutrals. About 150 have been as a seller and the rest as a buyer. As a seller, I've had as many as 20 email communications with one buyer. If they want to ask and talk, I'll answer and talk their ears off.

The bad apple sellers on GB'er really makes it hard on the good even great individual sellers. Unfortunately their are stupid people and crooked people out there but some very good ones also.

20. Caeserslegion

Caeserslegion Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Of course, the service that I was referring to is the allowing of people who are interested in firearms, and other related items, to have a platform to show their products, and to have it all under one roof, so to speak.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted