Guncrafter My Guncrafter Hellcat

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by monadh, Jun 1, 2018.

1. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    It is fortunate that I never really paid much attention to the classifieds on this forum until now, because if I had, my two oldest would have never gone to college.

I've always had an itch for a Guncrafter. First off, the clean look free of billboards is beautiful. Secondly, I had heard of the build quality. Third, a well known vendor told me straight out that Guncrafter makes the finest semi custom 1911 to be had. And fourth, Derek's responsiveness to my many pre-purchase questions blew me away.

Not quite 2 weeks ago, I saw a Hellcat was up for sale. Dash had posted it as he was going in a different direction in the pistols which interested him. I thought, cool, I understand doing that. I was going to move on and then I saw his "Glamour Shots" pics of the pistol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did NOT need to see those, but I had. I contacted Dash and went to work selling a custom Dan Wesson Silverback and a Les Baer Custom Carry Commanche. Once those were sold, the Hellcat was mine.

It arrived today at my LGS and I was there about 30 minutes later. What a beauty. For years I have heard people claim how smooth a premium semi custom can be, and I've always wondered how anything could be smoother than my DW or my LB. Now, I understand. This thing is smooth. And the trigger...wow, the trigger. The fit, finish, everything that I could see was more than I had expected. I could not wait to get to the range.

I got there and went to town with it. I added some Slip2000 to it, racked the slide a few times, and started to enjoy myself.

[​IMG]

Before I say anything else, let me state I am 60, and I have earned my astigmatism. I am not a shooter as skilled as TRSOtto. Any flaws in the groups are due to me, not the pistol. Trust me, I know when it is me and when it is the pistol.

I set up some targets at 15 yards. This was the second group shot using my range bag as a rest.

[​IMG]

I shot some groups rested at 25 yards and off hand at 10 yards. They are in the group shot at the end.

I also took some shots at the remains of some clay pigeons my daughter and I had set up on the 100 yard berm and smashed with some 7.62x39. The 3rd shot off hand hit the fragment in this pic:

[​IMG]

Excellent! Maybe I'm not too bad! And then the eyes tired out, and I started shooting off hand at 10 yards. In the progression of the following pics, you can tell that my shooting got a little worse as time went on.

First 5 rounds to the head and center mass:

[​IMG]

Next 5 rounds:

[​IMG]

5 rounds more:

[​IMG]

And then the last 5 rounds:

[​IMG]

The Hellcat was perfect in every way. It is everything I had heard it would be.

This last pic sums up the afternoon's shooting as the sun went down:

[​IMG]

What a great pistol! Thank you, Dash, for selling it, and thank you, Derek for taking the time to answer my questions!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Nice piece! I'm always happy to see things come together like this. Guy finds a sweet pistol, finds a way to get it, and then when he does "viola" pure awesome... Enjoy it man, it looks like a real beauty!

On a side note... I've gotta stop looking at all these Guncrafter threads.

3. monadh

May 8, 2012
    It'll cost you if you don't Bloodhound!

4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    I know it will...
    I've been looking (far too frequently I might add) at a Guncrafter No Name Government Model in .45ACP. After reading all of the great reviews on GI pistols, it seems like a safe bet on a solid handgun...
    Now to find "that deal" and siphon funds to aid in the endeavor.

I mean c'mon... My family doesn't need to eat EVERY day right? ; ) Seriously though...

5. dash

dash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2016
    You are very welcome monadh! I love seeing the Hellcat being enjoyed. Great shooting and first day out with it. I agree with the vendor you spoke with; the build quality of this Guncrafter is the best I’ve seen in the Semi Custom field, just topping my previously sold NH Bob Marvel which was excellent. This Hellcat is an awesome gun. I hope you enjoy it for many years and many thousands of rounds!

Old Sea Dragon, ronin11 and monadh like this.
  6. monadh

May 8, 2012
    A few more pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  7. DPVY

DPVY Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2017
    What a thorough review!

I'm sad that dash decided to get rid of it, but I'm so happy you picked it up. I heard that the other direction he went was with a Shadow... since my wife and daughter both shoot AccuShadow's in USPSA, I can't knock that decision!

Again, congratulations on your new gun. It makes me happy when customers are this happy!

As always, if there is anything else I can help you with, please reach out to me. All of my contact info is in my signature.

Old Sea Dragon, WC145, nnylf7 and 5 others like this.
  8. monadh

May 8, 2012
    Derek,

Thank you. I will definitely get in touch for a Hellcat Commander when I have the funds available, probably this time next year. Not sure if 9mm or .45 at this point, just that it will be another GI.

nnylf7 likes this.
  9. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    You’ll need a GINNC to flesh out your collection, oh, and a Hoss too.

monadh likes this.
  10. cwoods

cwoods Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    What a great gun. Congrats!

monadh likes this.
  11. Gimpster

Gimpster Kevin G Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2017
    What a handsome piece and good shooting! Congratulations!

monadh likes this.
  12. RatBikeRod

RatBikeRod You Don’t Know Me!

Nov 22, 2017
    I....would....post .....more, but....hard...past...the ....drool.....

13. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Excellent weapon and great shooting

14. ballistic64

ballistic64 Member

May 28, 2017
    Congrats, absolutely beautiful gun and some great shooting!

15. monadh

May 8, 2012
    I went to shoot again right at sundown, which was at 20:32 per the iPhone app. The following was shot starting around sundown and finishing up within my 30 minute window of time per range regs.

The Hellcat is insanely easy to shoot well. My ability to shoot a good group under less than ideal conditions reminded me of the last line in the old Carter Hall pipe tobacco commercials: "The chicks are back, pass the word, the chicks are back!"

This multiple mag group was shot off hand at 15 yards.

[​IMG]

16. monadh

May 8, 2012
    Another evening at the range. Round count is 1,050 rounds, and that includes what Dash had shot through it.

This target was shot at 25 yards. It was the only group I shot well. I seriously need glasses

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    nnylf7, stlgecko and Whiten like this.
  17. monadh

May 8, 2012
    Tonight it was time to clean it. WWB ammo is dirtier than usual these days, and I had noticed a build up of crud in my beautiful Hellcat.

This would be the second time I had taken it apart. The first time was after I had received it from Dash. As some have noticed, the barrel bushing is unusual. Before touching anything, I looked very carefully at it. Then I did the Youtube search for guidance on how to remove the bushing. I took the slide off, removed the recoil spring, and gently tried to turn the bushing. No dice. Now, I was used to tight bushings because of all of my Dan Wessons and my Les Baer, but this was a different type of bushing. After a couple of more gentle attempts, I texted Dash. I felt like...

[​IMG]

Two seconds after texting Dash I saw the answer. Remove the plug from the back side! Once that was done, the bushing came off easily. Amazingly, I had no trouble putting the recoil spring assembly back in and reassembling the pistol.

Tonight was a different story. Everything came apart easily enough, but that damnable recoil spring kept going wonky on me no matter how I gripped it during reassembly.

[​IMG]

After about 15 minutes of being gentle so I would not scratch it, it came together.

I think my next GI is going to be a Frag Commander.

nnylf7 and DPGI like this.
  18. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    I’m considering going all GI except my customs. It’ll mean selling a bunch of stuff. Look out.

LPRoad, WC145 and DPGI like this.
  19. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    For some reason I really want a Hellcat Commander.

RN47 and DPGI like this.
  20. DPVY

DPVY Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2017
    I fully support this idea, and I am here to enable.... errr, help in any way I can!

WC145, Ethanol Red and monadh like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted