1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a NIB S&W 520 sitting in the safe for years. The fixed sight, N frame Model 58 is such a pleasure to shoot I kept trying to talk myself into taking the 520 to the range. Instead, I tracked down a clean, used 520, and it has become one of my favorite revolvers and my absolute favorite .357 Magnum. It came with a set of Pachmayr grips, but I swapped them for a cheap pair of Altamonts.

It even looks nice in an old holster.

The 520 was ordered by the NYSP back in '79, but the order was cancelled due to delivery delays. S&W completed the 3,000 or so guns in 1980 and turned them loose to the public. NIB examples are easy enough to find, but the shooters don't come up too often.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Great gun! I enjoyed my M58 immensely and the 520 is basically the same gun in an arguably ‘better’ caliber.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
very nice. thanks for sharing. I've seen these NYSP revolvers come up occasionally. I wouldn't mind finding a shooter like you have, some day i will come across one. I enjoy these types of revolvers and their sights.

·
We Are!
3,426 Posts
So nice - that tapered barrel!

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I am a very big fan of the .357 & .41. I have pet Blackhawk's in both calibers that have been driven like they was rented and what all. I have never owned an S&W .41 Magnum. I spent a lot of time with my uncle's 657, but it was never mine.

Is it a coincidence the two guns you show and speak of here have fixed sights, or is that a preference of yours? I've got a set of Altamont K-Frame stocks that came on a S&W 67 I bought several months ago and they are very good looking for sure.

I hope you continue to enjoy your wonderful revolvers and thank you so much for sharing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I gained a great appreciation for fixed sight revolvers beginning with a S&W Model 13 I traded into years ago. After acquiring a Model 58 I was hooked. The 520 reinforces my experience with the fixed sight revolver, it’s an amazing pistol. I can’t really explain it, but the platform performs so well for me. That, and I haven’t had a bad shooting example.

·
Registered
VIGILANT CURMUDGEON
423 Posts
Congrats on an underrated wheelgun. It is a K frame . The heft & balance makes it feel just about perfect.
Like an old guy named Archie … I still find .41 mag. - Superior . So my Mod. 58 will always be my “ Favorite Kid” !

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats on an underrated wheelgun. It is a K frame . The heft & balance makes it feel just about perfect.
Like an old guy named Archie … I still find .41 mag. - Superior . So my Mod. 58 will always be my “ Favorite Kid” !
The 520 is an N frame.

·
Registered
VIGILANT CURMUDGEON
423 Posts
I stand corrected . I always thought the grip frame was the same as a K .
Even though it was really catorgorized as a L frame
But there were two runs of 520 ( just looked it up - Wiki)
The first was an N frame. 2005 brought in the L when the N was discontined.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I stand corrected . I always thought the grip frame was the same as a K .
Even though it was really catorgorized as a L frame
But there were two runs of 520 ( just looked it up - Wiki)
The first was an N frame. 2005 brought in the L when the N was discontined.
Yeah, I always found it odd that Smith reused a model number like they did with the 520. The original 520 was never a catalogued firearm and remains the only fixed sight, N frame .357 they've ever produced. After that 1980 release of the NYSP guns there were never any more made which is a shame in my opinion. Jack The Dog posted one last night on his gun auctions. No box and rough replacement grips, but the gun is nice.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Wow. I had no idea S&W reused a model number and that is very interesting.

I always found the S&W Model 68's to be interesting and appealing and the history of it all is very intriguing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts