1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The new one? How about some pics and thoughts?
Well, I have a few examples of the new Python and this one is the best balanced of the 3-barrel lengths. Have one that I am going to shoot of the 3in examples. Got this one out but still has the oil on it.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
12 Posts
The new one? How about some pics and thoughts?
Sorry to intrude late, but I get your logic.

I've had a dozen S&W .357 but the one that rings right is the 4" .38/44 heavy-duty, the spiritual progenitor of the 520. Everything you need, nothing you don't. I liked it better than my 3.5" 27 (and I LOVE that gun).

I loaded HV rounds with 11gr of 2400 to get it up to semi-.357 performance like intended. It has made me want a 520 once I shot it a lot, other .357s, and figured it all out. Alas, 520s were always pricey but now are getting unobtainably. kudos to you!

Unfortunately mine's a 5" and the 4" is preferable to me, but rare. Love to find a 4" of either.

38/44 daddy pics:
Air gun Wood Revolver Trigger Gun barrel

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sorry to intrude late, but I get your logic.

I've had a dozen S&W .357 but the one that rings right is the 4" .38/44 heavy-duty, the spiritual progenitor of the 520. Everything you need, nothing you don't. I liked it better than my 3.5" 27 (and I LOVE that gun).

I loaded HV rounds with 11gr of 2400 to get it up to semi-.357 performance like intended. It has made me want a 520 once I shot it a lot, other .357s, and figured it all out. Alas, 520s were always pricey but now are getting unobtainably. kudos to you!

Unfortunately mine's a 5" and the 4" is preferable to me, but rare. Love to find a 4" of either.

38/44 daddy pics:
View attachment 903790
I’ve wanted a .38/44 HD for a long time now, but it’s never happened. If I ever make it happen, it will be a regular at the range. You’ve got a fine one!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve wanted a .38/44 HD for a long time now, but it’s never happened. If I ever make it happen, it will be a regular at the range. You’ve got a fine one!
I'ma tell you a secret but please DO NOT tell anyone else.

If you put in the effort, you can get them cheap. I used to hang out a lot at the S&W forum. One time a guy posted a pic of a new HD he got; he said he was on vacation and went into a pawn shop. They had a heavy duty sitting there which they just asssumed was a pre-model 10 so it was priced $300. I was stunned and thought, "Well that's a one in a million shot." Then I thought about it and realized it was probably not that rare.

I started combing through ads online and on GB, skimming the pics looking for the tell-tale difference between the two at a glance. I did that on my laptop while watching tv, etc. It did not take me long and I found the exact same situation and got mine for $300. I've been thinking lately I need to do it again because I really, really want a 4".

Ok, so DON'T tell anyone else this or post it in a public forum. ;)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts