1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My King's Gun Works 1948 Colt Commercial Gov't had an issue last year not long after I got it - it went full auto on me at a USPSA match. It had checked out good and fired fine at home so I was pretty shocked when it happened. After I got home I replaced the sear spring but didn't trust it to even try it out and it sat in the safe for several months.

Finally, at the beginning of December I decided to get the gun checked out and have anything it needed repaired/replaced so it would be safe and useable. I contacted John Harrison and explained what the guns was, what had happened, and that I would like to get it checked out and repaired and to have it freshened up - new springs, extractor tuned, etc - so that it would be ready to use. He agreed to take a look at it and see what the issue was.

I overnighted the gun to him on Dec 8, he got back to me a week later with his diagnosis - "The full-cock notch on the hammer has been stoned away on a 45° angle to a point that there is next to nothing left of the full cock shelf. This has also sheared off the nose of the sear to the point that it is too short to reuse. So bottom line, the hammer, sear and disconnector need to be replaced."

We discussed the necessary repairs, he'd replace the sear and disconnector with his Harrison Design Parts, replace the hammer with an old style wide spur hammer and trim/reshape the end to prevent hammer bite, do a 4lb trigger job, and also chamfer the bottom corners of the grip safety tang to keep it from chewing on the web of my hand. He'd also go through everything else in the gun and make sure it was set up correctly and good to go and shoot a box of ammo through it to make sure it was functioning properly.

I got the gun back Friday, he'd only had it about 7 weeks. It functions perfectly, the trigger is exactly 4lbs, the hammer looks great and doesn't bite, the bluing he did on the hammer and the grip safety matches the rest of the gun nicely, and the little grip safety mod made a noticeable difference in comfort when shooting. He did an outstanding job, which he would, of course, since he's John Harrison. But he didn't have to do it, he's got more work than he knows what to do with but he made the time and got my gun back in shape while maintaining the appearance and integrity of the original King's build. Plus, he's wicked nice and was a pleasure to deal with. Now my gun is ready to be used as intended and I'm confident that, in spite of being a 70 year old pistol and a 40 year old build, it will serve as well today as it did back then.

·
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beautiful. I would like to see this some time.
You'd like it, it was pure luck that I ran across it on the Turnbull website when I did. It has a S70 barrel and collet bushing, locks up tighter than every other 1911 I have except the Boss.

·
TANSTAAFL
1,708 Posts
Well done across the board and I agree regarding the sight. Should I end up in a position to have a build done, something like that would certainly be on my list of things to discuss.

Reactions: WC145

·
Get off my lawn...
14,644 Posts
That Sir, is one of the finest Colt's I've ever seen! And what a great back story! Mr. Harrison is a class act, and a pleasure to do business with. Congratulations! I'd love to hear more, and see more regarding your '48!

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Great find. It's good you still shoot it.

Agree that John Harrison is a pleasure to deal with, a gentleman and one of the best 'smiths we have.

Well done- and I'd love to shoot it too.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Good God.

That is stunning!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
That's a great looking 1911. Congrats!

·
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really like those old builds. My Hoag is a 82 build.
I'm a big fan of 'vintage' customs. I've had several that were built by Clark, Behlert, Mag-na-port, Joe Bonar, Marc Krebs, and others (even a Hoag), though out of all of them this is one of the nicest.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts