Les Baer My Les Baer UTC with the help of Masters of Accuracy

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Boscosig, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Boscosig

Boscosig Active Member

Mar 17, 2016
    I bought my Les Baer UTC from Crazy John in March of 2019. I love the Les Baer hard fit build philosophy. When you buy a Les Baer it's like the first time you put a new baseball glove on your hand. It functions but its tough to use. I really like how when you "use" your Baer it breaks in.
    I remember the day I went to my FFL and took my Baer of the cardboard box and went to rack the slide. I knew what I was about to do .... I gripped the pistol and went to rip it back and expected to the gun to be super tight. It wasn't.... did I hulk the Baer? Well I brought it to the range that night and shot a 100 rds. No issues reliable but not really tight? First time I broke the pistol down I didn't need a bushing wrench. I thought this was strange. I shot the Baer the rest of the summer and cleaned her up and put her away for winter. I usually shoot 9mm in the winter at my outdoor range.
    Fast forward to the spring of 2020. I have been working from home since the beginning of march due to the pandemic. I saw a post on another forum of how someone bought the normal size grips direct from Les Baer, as many of you know the UTC comes with the skinny grips. So I bought a pair too. I also got the standard grip screw bushings. So I went to take the ones off the UTC first two come off no problem. I flip the pistol over to do the other side and bang I strip the hell out of the bushing, so guess what I strip the other one too. Lock tight won that battle.
    So here is where the story begins of how my Baer went from a normal UTC to a new and improved UTC. After stripping my bushing I contacted Rob Schauland at Alchemy to get him to fix my mess. Rob was swamped and pointed me in the direction of Mark Brand. Mark used to work at Les Baer for many years and is now doing work on his own. He runs his own shop called Masters of Accuracy. I called Mark and told him about my goof and I decided to send him the pistol for a once over. After Mark checked out my pistol he gave me a call and we discussed the pistol. Guys I am not knocking Les's build but I had always known the lock up was not very tight on this pistol. Mark and I decided to upgrade some of the parts, do a trigger job, and a new extractor. Mark also told me how awesome of a Bluer he is. I decided to let him reblue the pistol as well because how could I really have an extra extractor that was not uniform? I called the project "War Hammer" and he even went along with it. Mark sent me text pictures during the whole process. I got the pistol back 2 weeks ago and have shot close to 400 rds. This pistol came back tighter than the first day I got it. Mark added a new bushing and slide release. He also installed a medium trigger and did a nice job smoothing out the trigger. I beyond happy with his work. Check out my Baer below I am no photographer and I am using an Iphone these pictures do this pistol no justice. If you are looking for some 1911 work give Mark a call.
    Masters of Accuracy
    Mark Brand
    (309) 792-4556
    baer 3.jpg baer 2.jpg baer 1.jpg

2. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Nice, is that an alchemy rear sight?

3. Boscosig

Boscosig Active Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Yes it is

duketbrd88 and gun_fan111 like this.
  4. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    Very well done.

Boscosig likes this.
  5. ILED93

ILED93 Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2017
    Nice looking Baer.

Boscosig likes this.
  6. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    well done, I have a Stinger I'd like to be able to slingshot, maybe I'll try Mark out and see what he says.

You should get him to join the forum, plenty of us would enjoy his take/opinion on our Les Baer's.

Thanks for the informative post ;)

7. awmp

awmp Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Apr 27, 2012
    good info and great looking Baer

Boscosig likes this.
  8. goodguywithagun

goodguywithagun Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Came out great. I cropped your pics.

Adjustments.jpg
    Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. soverystout

soverystout Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Very nice. Once I break in my bushel of Baers I may give Mark a call as well. It will be time to ditch all of these LB target sights and go with the setup you have. Of the 5 Baers I just purchased new, the lockup tight fight is there is a big way on all of the 1.5 guarantee pistols. The regular Boss and the 10MM hunter I purchased still have a tighter lockup than any of my STIs but it is far less than the 1.5 guns.

Boscosig likes this.
  10. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I do too I'd love to hear his reply.

Boscosig likes this.
  11. mbacker_99

mbacker_99 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2017
    I had Mark hard fit a new Wilson Supergrade and the work is top shelf.

1911 crazed, Boscosig and soverystout like this.
  12. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Glad Mark got your Baer all fixed up for you. Love the UTC

Boscosig likes this.
  13. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Glad to hear you’re pleased with Mark’s work, and your UTC. She’s a real beaut!

Boscosig likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted