1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning in the 24 degree cold I shot this old table that's just about perfectly 30x30" from somewhere between 130-140 yards with a 230gr. FMJ handload. I held the camera up as I fired two rounds and I made contact on one of those shots, which was more luck than anything. I fired two magazines at it for a total of 16 rounds and I believe there are 13 holes in the wood, but I'm OK calling it twelve because One looks like a double and it doesn't really matter one way or the other. I also shot at a piece of white pressboard that's set up for my son's rifle shooting from 2-300 yards and is about 175 yards from where I'm standing. I fired eight rounds at it and connected one time, which is also inconsequential, but rewarding. I do a lot of this silly long distance shooting with my handguns here and I have an unfair amount of time shooting from this exact spot and I'm happy when a new gun comes in that will cooperate. My TRP is at least twenty years old and has the "TRP Package" from the SACS and it has soul and personality that reminds me of a Baer that doesn't lock up so tight that it's no fun, if that makes sense. The frame is hand checkered and there are tool marks and out of spec hand fitting that make it unique, for better and worse, but mostly better. I think it's great as an old example of a Springfield with a few SACS touches and I'm glad it shoots because that really is the bottom line.
Sky Plant Tree Larch Slope
Sky Plant Tree Slope Gesture
Wood Gas Brick Door Concrete
Sky Plant community Tree Natural landscape Land lot
Sky Plant Plant community Tree Gesture
Sky Plant Plant community Tree Gesture
Vehicle Speedometer Car Tachometer Fuel gauge

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You never know who did what along the way with a gun this old or a round count, etc. and I'm thankful that 700-800 or so rounds in I feel like I really lucked out with this gun. I even gave it that scuff on the front right end of the slide and I can't wait to give it a few more. I don't know as much as some about these guns and the history of SA and the SACS, but this one I think will be around a while.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Everyday carry

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,390 Posts
Nice pistol. I'm beginning to appreciate stainless guns more.

Reactions: Merton

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice pistol. I'm beginning to appreciate stainless guns more.
Thank you! I was just getting ready to head out with the TRP, my SA Vickers Master Class and Dan Wesson A2 to shoot some groups with my 200gr. LSWC handload with 5.0gr. AA#2. I'm sure I'll post something about that when I'm done.

My son is into the stainless look very much. We live in the mountains of Klamath County, OR and it's a high desert, so stainless does get used here quite a bit for utilitarian purposes and it is growing on me in the aesthetics department as well, to the point that I may go with stainless(potentially with a coating on top of it) on my custom when I get my order in and spot in the schedule in the next few months. When I get that order in, I also would like him to look at this gun and see if it's suitable to be a fairly straightforward "fighting gun" with new guts and maybe a few slide embellishments. Even if it stays as it is now, I love it and it really is a great gun.

I generally go for blued steel or darker colors as a matter of taste. The utility of stainless speaks for itself and today's steel doesn't(generally) have the galling issues that it did in the past. I do like the look more and more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts