My New Wilson

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by GaryWWhite, Feb 13, 2019.

1. GaryWWhite

GaryWWhite Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Just acquired directly from WC an in stock Hunter model in .460 Rowland. When I ordered the gun I had them remove the Crimson Trace laser grips. I already had a pair of G10 Magwell cut grips with WC silver medallions but they wouldn't ship the gun without any grips so they charged me $80 for a pair of what they considered their cheapest grips. Anyways, I saved almost $300 by getting the laser grip taken off. I was able to have them install some Trijicon tritium sights before shipping. The gun did not have a one piece MSH\Magwell so instead of giving WC $250 for one, I ordered it from Brownells for $150. The CSR at WC said it would take some fitting and the gun would have be refinished, etc but the part fit the gun perfectly and the blue color ordered appears black and matches the frame and slide extremely well. I installed the WC grips with the silver medallions and they look great. I have ordered a set of custom torx screws with bushing and screw 0 rings from Challis but have not received them yet. This gun. has a completely different feel than my CQB. Although it is an inch longer it balances and points really well. The CQB has a few features this gun does not have like a serrated slide top and rear, a fluted chamber and an ambi-safety. I thought I would miss those when I got the gun but am really happy with its overall look especially with the integral compensator. I am ordering some Underwood 185 gr. ammo to test in the Hunter. I will be using this gun as my EDC and have ordered a custom Cross Draw holster for it which I am assured by the maker will be concealable. I hate to admit it but my CQB is really tricked out so much so I haven't fired it but once in the 3 years I have owned it. It might have 50 rounds through it, maybe less. I don't feel that way about the Hunter and feel I will be able to shoot it without worrying about wear. I do reload and have the dies already set up for .45 ACP which the .460 Rowland round also uses. I currently load 45's for Bullseye and shoot these out of my Wilson, EGW, Cylinder and Slide Frankenstein Springfield TRP with a RDS. This is in stainless and is a tack driver gone through by WC and Springfield Custom. I compared the triggers on the Hunter and the TRP and they feel about the same; however the TRP breaks at 3 lbs. and the Hunter at 4.5 lbs. They both break like glass so the difference in felt weight is not really perceptible. I will set the Hunter's trigger to 3 lbs. as that is what I like. Overall, this appears to be a great gun and I am happy with it. Just wanted to pass this along to you all.
    My Best, Gary

2. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Congratulations on the new Wilson! I'm sure it will serve your needs well.

3. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
  4. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    This^^^^^^^

CENTURIATOR and Busa Dave like this.
  5. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Really want to see the fitment of the non fitted parts...

6. Fight islam Now

Fight islam Now Active Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Have fun!!!! Hard to imagine as a day gun

460 Rowland, full melt, ss, ivory........

BE929E67-53D4-480B-B701-E6910E4DA8ED.jpeg

WhoIsJohnGalt? and ORShooter like this.
  7. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    Congrats on the Hunter, a tremendous firearm. I would think it would be quite a challenge for EDC but where there's a will there's away. Photos if possible.:)

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted