close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My next 1911

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by dtshd, Sep 19, 2011.

1. dtshd

dtshd Member

Sep 18, 2011
    I was thinking about getting the Guncrafter NN after reading the buying guide and the positive reviews. But now I have an opportunity to purchase a NIB 2010 government model Dan Wesson valor with the duty treatment for $1500 locally. So now I am torn between the two. I understand they are in two different classes and you can't compare them. And no, I cannot afford both guns :Cry:

Just for grins, what would you do?

2. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Is the Valor everything you want in a 1911? Do you have the money for the NN and are looking to save coin on the Valor?

I would rather have a NN given the hype and reviews I've seen. However, I would be tickled all shades of pink with a black Valor and money to buy a reloading setup/mags/holsters.

3. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    up to you. my DW was a really nice gun, as are the other DW's that i've shot/handled.

4. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    do you have any semi customs? if so, id prolly go for the DW. That is a great price and they are extremely well built.

5. Dumbell2

Dumbell2 Member

Sep 7, 2011
    IMHO the valor offers everything there is to be had in a 1911. At $1500 nib it is a no brainer.

I am not familiar with the NN, but the Valor has no flaws and a potentially world class finish. The only improvements I could envision for a Valor are 1) a hard fit barrel and 2) more aggressive front strap undercut.

Just my 2c!

Good luck with you decision!

Just make sure it is a 2010 or later Valor as there were multiple improvements over the otherwise excellent 2009 model.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  6. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    also look for the upside down Y after the serial number

7. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Valor is great for their value.

8. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I have a DW and a NN. Get the Valor at that price.

9. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    But what will all your friends say... Who the hell was Dan Wesson anyhow. Everybody remembers the "man with no name".. right.. LOL.. Ron

10. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I have 2 DW's (CCO and 9mm Guardian) and 2 NN's (stainless Gubment and hardchromed Commander) and I would agree. At that price the DW won't disappoint. Not taking anything at all from the NN.

11. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    I still think the NN is a better value than the Valor at $1500.

Both are great 1911s.

12. dtshd

dtshd Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Took me a while, but after talking with some forum members here, decision was made to go with the GI NN.

Thanks for all the help guys.

13. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Good choice! :thumb:

I think you'll be very impressed.

Andy

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted