close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My PRO is home... and its raining...

Discussion in '1911 Photo Gallery' started by dgi, Sep 21, 2011.

1. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member Supporting Addict

Sep 10, 2011
    [​IMG]

Picked it up yesterday and was hoping to go out to the range this morning but its raining again.... figures...

Im impressed with the way it feels in my hand compared to my TRP. The previous owner has about 2800 rounds through it. I imagine it was mainly a range gun as the thumb safety is still very stiff to engage easily with my thumb. I guess he never used it lol. Racking the slide is alot smoother than the TRP and im really starting to like the Black-T finish over the regular armory kote finish... Since i'll be keeping the TRP and modifying it for more training and as my SHTF gun... i think it may receive the Black-T finish as well...

Here is the family:

[​IMG]

2. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2011
    Very nice family you have there.

Mike

3. Dumbell2

Dumbell2 Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Beautiful Pro!
    Nice family!

4. thecableguy

thecableguy I hate this addiction Supporting Addict

Aug 16, 2011
    Very nice. Congrats.

5. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Verrrrrry nice. :thumb:

6. Rinspeed

Rinspeed Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Congrats on the PRO, looks great.

7. dgi

Sep 10, 2011
    Thanks guys... i figure im good on the firearms for a while... time to take on some shooting events and training classes to hone the skills :D

8. 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan Bass Fishing Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Nice! Congrats :thumb:

9. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    Looks great

Congrats! :cool:

10. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Nice grab! I've heard good things about them.

I'm a fan of stiffer thumb safeties myself.

Andy

11. dgi

Sep 10, 2011
    im a fan of the thumb safties being stiff to disengage... not to engage...

12. dgi

Sep 10, 2011
    i got to the range today!

[​IMG]

This gun makes me look like a way better shooter than my TRP... i also modified my grip yet again and it really helped with the shots hitting POA ( i had a real problem with shots landing at 9oclock of where i was aiming, more likely trigger jerk)

The gun is alot higher quality than my TRP and you can feel it with every shot. Not leaps and bounds better, but the trigger break feels better and the movement is smoother.

I did notice that:

Using Federal (walmart) ammo... it didnt always return to battery, but it could also be that the magazine wasnt seated properly. Upon using the "tap, rack, bang" drill, simply tapping the baseplate of the magazine would return the gun to battery immediatly. This was both with the supplied springfield magazines as well as wilson ETM mags.

Speaking of Wilson ETM mags... 3 different magazines... at first all would lock the slide back on empty, in the end only one would... No problems with Springfield issue or Ed Brown 8-pack mags.

Gun is still dirty, i'll give it a good cleaning tonight before i hit the sack. Great day at the range overall

13. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    don't clean it yet, just wipe it down.

the FTRB might just be because it's still tight.

as for magazines, i would use the supplied "Tuned" magazines if they work properly (as they should). I haven't had an issue with the ETM's in my SA's.

14. dgi

Sep 10, 2011
    the gun isnt new... the previous owner put 2800 rounds through it already... i put 200 through it today so its at around 3000. When should the recoil spring be replaced on the professional model?

Edit: I never had any issues with the ETMs in the TRP yet... im suprised with the PRO the slide wouldnt lock back on two of them... and on more than one instance...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  15. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    ah...forgot about that. clean away :lol:

since it's used, a fresh recoil spring would be a good start.

16. Rinspeed

Rinspeed Member

Aug 22, 2011
    That's rather disappointing, I'd be tempted to contact SA and send it in so they can go over it.

17. dgi

Sep 10, 2011
    i'll call Springfield tomorrow and talk to them... funny thing is that the night before i went shooting, i was on their website ordering a Team Springfield polo as well as other small goodies... Had i known, i'd have asked for new return springs as well...

18. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Glad you got a chance to shoot it, although bummer that it's goofing up some.

I hope you get it resolved!

As far as the trigger jerking, it's easy to do if you haven't shot a 1911 in a while! Going back and forth from a Glock to a 1911 is interesting. :lol:

Andy

19. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    If the spring doesnt fix the issue, it sounds like there may be a mag release issue. I replaced my SA release with a EGW which seats the mags just a tad higher and it was 100% after that.

20. jst1tym

jst1tym What No Delete Button? Supporting Addict

Aug 23, 2011
    Great score! Especially considering some of the wait times quoted for getting them..Looks to be a fine pistol, congrats :thumb:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted