1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scammers don't like the idea of actually having to follow through on their word (DUH). They want to grab the money and run. There are several threads here about scam warnings, and almost got caught in a scam warnings.
I am a buyer. Buyers want to buy with confidence, but no matter what you do, personal to person sales over the internet are questionable. Sellers have the same problems.

That being said, I wasn't sure about buying over the internet from an unknown person. This individual was straight up and honest (Thanks again, @MedicGunGuy), as I'm sure most on this site are.
Due to my concerns, I will be using an escrow (guntab.com) from now on. If the buyer won't work with me through escrow, no sale.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Their website mentions credit card payments. Would those trigger fees in addition to 2.9% escrow fee? What happens when the buyer calls their credit card and cancels the transaction, will you as a seller still be protected?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Their website mentions credit card payments. Would those trigger fees in addition to 2.9% escrow fee? What happens when the buyer calls their credit card and cancels the transaction, will you as a seller still be protected?
The Guntab fees are 2.9%, and can be split by buyer and seller. Credit card fees are whatever they are (I think 3%). If the transaction fails, guntab doesn't get their fee. Not sure about the CC fees. If you lose the CC fees isn't it better than being scammed and losing all of it?

For an example, this means a successful $3,177 (cost + 2.9%GT fee + 3%CC fee) transaction vs a possible $90 (3% CC fees) for a failed transaction example of a $3,000 mentioned above. How much do you want to risk? Without escrow, how much do you risk and pay?

Guntab gets the payment from buyer and holds the money (in escrow) until the transaction is complete. Only after guntab has the payment do they instruct seller how / where to ship to the buyer. Guntab never touches the gun. Canceling any transaction doesn't work because they have the payment. Guntab has records of payment, shipment, delivery, and acceptance on both the part of buyer and seller. Since guntab is the entity that charges the credit card, they have to defend against charge back, if any.
Other than shipping time and deposit time, the transaction is very fast. My experience (sample of one) is 9 days from start (entering preferences) to disbursement (Guntab paying out, bank delays unknown after this) is 9 days. The 9 days time includes 6 days shipping with UPS.

Total cost was $25.18 above $400 cost of the item. It was worth it to me and the seller.

Reactions: Kevin Rohrer

·
Registered
258 Posts
or the escrow service has shitty security and hacked, everyones ID/cc# is compromised,,, good luck with purchase and sale as this will probably go the way of ebay and charge a sales tax/use tax as well

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
or the escrow service has shitty security and hacked, everyones ID/cc# is compromised,,, good luck with purchase and sale as this will probably go the way of ebay and charge a sales tax/use tax as well
SO ... not a new risk if you are on the internet buying anything? Since they aren't actually handling the item or advertising, maybe not on the taxes? I don't know.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
9,127 Posts
These are hilarious, as a seller I would never deal with an escrow service. You may think you are in control as the buyer, I know I'm in control as the seller (as I have the gun you want). There's an old adage "buy the seller" or don't buy the gun.

And for all the people that say use an FFL, have them hold the gun, yada, no FFL wants to get in the middle of a private sale transaction for the shipping or transfer revenue and all the headaches that could arise.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
OP, not discouraging you from using this service. I am just curious if they spell it out in black & white that they protect the seller even if the buyer disputes the charge a couple of weeks after transaction completes and credit card pulls the money.

·
Administrator
2,550 Posts
Sometimes I read posts like this and get the impression that there are members who think everyone here is a scammer. I know members here with triple digit buys and sells that have never had an issue. I've been purchasing here since 2012, never an issue.

If I was unable to verify a seller, and was so concerned about them that I thought I needed an escrow service then I just wouldn't deal with them. There are too many reputable sellers here to waste time with those who are not.

Just my personal opinion..

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Sometimes I read posts like this and get the impression that there are members who think everyone here is a scammer. I know members here with triple digit buys and sells that have never had an issue. I've been purchasing here since 2012, never an issue.

If I was so concerned about a seller that I thought I needed an escrow service then I just wouldn't deal with them. There are too many reputable sellers here to waste time with those who are not.

Just my personal opinion..
This right here. I've had dozens and dozens of transactions on here and I'm not even super active. You buy the seller for sure.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Why would I trust guntab more than someone with an established forum reputation who checks out, or someone who has taken the time to share additional photos, have a facetime call with me (where I see them and the gun) and exchange photos of drivers licenses?

I've initiated purchases from a half dozen scam listings on the forums in the past year and "purchased" probably two dozen scam listings on GB in that time. (One of them was my own gun, mysteriously for sale on GB.) It's always easy to figure out.

Most often, it's the guys that try to jump on every gun they can flip for a few dollars that don't do their homework and get taken. (Per the ATF, that makes them a dealer, and they should probably become dealers if that's their aim.) If you're buying guns because you're serious about them, you've done your homework on the gun and the seller.

EDIT: In error, I was under the impression that GT held funds until the gun arrived to them and passed inspection. It appears they only hold funds until delivery is confirmed and the buyer gives the thumbs up. That's a pretty different thing.

·
Registered
815 Posts
There are many well known members here. I will only buy from guys i know, or ones who come highly recommended from other members
I’ve learned that lesson early
And almost paid the price
While there are many many things u can and should do to weed out the bad actors
None are 100 percent

lm not a seller but as a buyer I’m sticking to well known tried and proven sellers with reasonable long histories

maybe when I teach that level as a buyer I’ll hope someone takes a chance on me selling something

1 - 20 of 36 Posts