Nighthawk My review of a used Nighthawk...

Discussion in 'Range Reports & Reviews' started by monadh, Feb 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    ...hat.

Addicted2gunz needed to free up $15 so he could continue to be addicted to guns, therefore he put his new-worn-only-once Nighthawk wax cotton cap up for sale. After looking at the Nighthawk website, reading the specs, and pondering the pluses and minuses of owning a used hat, I decided to buy it.

First off, the transaction could not have been smoother. Addicted2gunz communicated very well and shipping was fast.

I got the hat and decided to give it a review so that others could see the quality of Nighthawk in its build, fit, finish, and whether or not it lives up to the vaunted NH reputation.

[​IMG]

As you can see, it is a quality made product. The color is even and the finish is satin. I assumed that is because it is wax cotton. The shade of black is appealing to the eye, and the muted lettering contrasts in a subtle yet tasteful way. The flag is very patriotic.

I decided to give the hat an appropriate test that any other user would give it. After all, wax cotton is supposed to be water resistant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ran tap water over it for about 10 seconds or so the prep sink and came away with mixed impressions. At first the water rolled off of the hat but then it appeared to be soaking the water in. I couldn't believe my eyes when I flipped it over.

[​IMG]

The water had soaked through. Seriously, Nighthawk? For my $15, I would have expected it to survive the deluge we've been having this week unscathed, but it didn't survive the prep sink. OK, I thought, this can be handled and I can put the finish that such a quality hat should have had when it came from the factory. Sno-Seal should do it.

OK, now to the fit of the hat. Addicted2gunz said he was selling it because his head was too small. He might not have been pulling our collective legs, but there is the usual large range of sizing available with an adjustable hat. I easily found a setting which worked for my cranium, but then I uncovered a problem with the fit.

It did not entirely hide my bald spot.

[​IMG]

If you look you can see it doesn't entirely cover my bald spot. I felt...like I just watched "Old Yeller" and Travis had just shot his dog. For my $15, Nighthawk should have put a man bun back there to make me feel 40 again.

I hope you guys got something out of this in depth expert review. Addicted2gunz is a great guy, and this is a great hat. Well made and perfect for a wet spring day, which we see often here in NC.

2. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Know how to fix a bald spot ......

Shave your head. Enjoy the new cover .

TheCollector and PewPewPtwang like this.

3. monadh

May 8, 2012
    I might be doing that anyway! Problem is, with a shaved head I look like a VW Beetle driving down the road with both doors open.

4. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Herbie The Love Bug

TheCollector likes this.
  5. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Are you lubing it with hair oil or hair grease?

6. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Thank you for the review I almost made the mistake of ordering one of these.
    Whew glad I read this first.
    Thanks again for sharing your experience with nighthawk hats.

Jstamper and gps man like this.
  7. monadh

May 8, 2012
    Actually, @WHEELS, I like it. I will get some good use out of it, and the $15 I paid put Addicted2gunz over the top and gave him enough money to buy a 1911 made out of a meteorite.

I believe that's what happened.

8. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    LMAO or maybe just the grips !!!

BigSkyGuy likes this.
  9. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    I'm sorry I've thought this over and if it's going to have FTCTBS (failure to cover the bald spot) I'm not shelling out big money for one with issues like that.
    It's just unacceptable has the NH rep contacted you?

Jstamper and monadh like this.
  10. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    Thanks for the great review! :)

monadh likes this.
  11. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Thats funny right there.

12. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    All that analysis and no mention of the efficacy of the bill? That for sure doesn't look like a CCO or Commander size bill.

Effectiveness? Size? Rigidity? Composition?

gaijin, Jstamper and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  13. monadh

May 8, 2012
    I'm new at these hat reviews, ZM, so I missed that, but my excuse is that I was indoors. Let me wear it out some time and I will update the review.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  14. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Were the night sights still bright? FLGR?

I hate when the finish doesn’t protect against tap water!

Seriously, great review!

WHEELS likes this.
  15. Jstamper

Jstamper Member

Nov 10, 2017
    Monadh wins the internet...

monadh likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted