My SA EMP4 .40 rescued by Integrity Arms

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by dvs6, May 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dvs6

dvs6 Active Member

Feb 17, 2018
    Here is my review of my EMP4 .40 that I sent to Steve Owens of Integrity Arms:

Back Story

I tried to “upgrade” my Springfield Armory EMP4 .40 with an oversized gunsmith fit slide stop. Through inexperience, tolerances, and the gun being completely dry, I made the gun seize up requiring a rubber mallet to get the slide off of the frame, without the slide being able to go on the frame again…. Being a member of 1911Addicts.com I learned about an up and coming gunsmith, Steve Owens of Integrity Arms. I contacted him around Thanksgiving about my pistol. After talking to him about my issue and possibly personalizing it. After back and forth conversations we agreed on the work to be done. In late December I sent him my pistol. On May 8th, with a side trip back to Springfield Armory, I received my EMP4 back.

Initial impressions:

This is my first time ever sending a firearm to a gunsmith for work. OH MY! NOW I KNOW WHY PEOPLE SEND GUNS OFF TO GET CUSTOMIZED AND HAVE ISSUES WITH PRODUCTION FIREARMS!

First of all, the slide worked. Not only did it work, it slid on the frame ball bearings. Everything that I wanted and more. This gun is amazing. I had quite the amount of work done (probably the most amount done to an EMP4 – or at least that I have seen).

I had done:

Refit slide to frame (reweld BTGS area for more uniform fit)

Flat top and serrate top of slide

Install adjustable rear sight

Serrate rear of slide to match new sight

Install and flatten new trigger (Harrison)

Install extended magazine release

Install and fit Wilson concealment BTGS

Install Harrison TR ignition set with concealment hammer (new strut and pin)

Install new FPS

Install fit and blend Wilson XTAC magwell

Action Job

Reliability job

Marvel cut

Tune extractor

EGW fit and slim the paddle thumb safety

Harrison HD ejector (drill and pin)

Fit Harrison slide stop (Flush and countersink with frame)

Install EGW one piece recoil spring guide assembly

Install Challis grip bushings

French border

New pin set

Counter sink/crown barrel 11 degrees

Refinished in DLC (blackout)

The custom work is amazing. The machine lines are straight even and clean. The trigger is awesome, a touch lighter than I am used to (3 1/2ish pounds) but clean. I may tweak the sear spring to make it a touch heavier, I am going to take it out a couple more times first. I was skeptical on the DLC finish but seemed like the most durable option that was available through Steve – I was also thinking about Robar Poly-T2/Roguard/NP3/NP3+ or a Black Nitride. With the other finishes I would have to receive the gun back and then send it out for more time away to get the gun refinished. Also, there are many other companies that use DLC. Honestly, I think this might be my go to finish for future builds. It is not dark dark black but dark enough for me.

I was able to take it out the day that I got it. I burned through 232 rounds. Although, I wasn’t shooting for accuracy, the gun is way more accurate than me. I was just happy that I could get through all the magazines without any issues. The temporary Magpul grips have to go. I have already ordered StonerCNC slash and burn grip that should be here this week. When they get in I will be taking it out again. After some time getting acclimated to this gun, it will be replacing my Glocks (I know I know) as my main carry sidearm and for competitions (I am a big believer in competing with what you carry).

Thank you Steve for the awesome pistol!

Steve Owens

Integrity Arms

(419)305-4121

Facebook: IntegrityArmsCustomPistol-Smith

Thank you for reading. Here are some picture:

20190512_102800~2.jpg

20190512_103140.jpg
    20190512_103012~3.jpg 20190512_103116.jpg
    This is as far as the slide would go on before I sent it:

20181126_195419.jpg

Last one, at the range ready to go:
    20190508_144453.jpg

JNW, Novak77, Capthobo and 12 others like this.
  2. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Steve is the man. He did a magnificent job on your EMP.
    All that work in just five months..

Capthobo, Steve Owens and dvs6 like this.

3. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Steve is awesome, DLC is awesome and that's a bad ass looking EMP :):)

simonp and Steve Owens like this.
  4. Otherside

Otherside Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2019
    Congratulations on your souped up EMP, Steve does some nice work.

Steve Owens likes this.
  5. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    A few more pics for a look at the top and rear of slide. This one was a challenge but, it was also fun.. A shout out to Rob at Alchemy/Cabot for some pointers on opening up the extractor tunnel a bit to aid in better feeding. SA drilled and pinned the ejector then when it returned I swapped for a HD exact fit. Sent it to them in hopes they would provide a new extractor as they would not turn loose of any parts for this primarily proprietary pistol. Thank you for the work Dvs6 and your confidence in me to do it. EMP-40-4-1.jpg EMP-40-4-2.jpg EMP-40-4-3.jpg EMP-40-4-5.jpg EMP-40-4-6.jpg EMP-40-4.jpg [​IMG] EMP-40-4-7.jpg

cwoods, Novak77, TexasBB and 6 others like this.
  6. Hunt5877

Hunt5877 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 27, 2019
    Very Impressive Steve, top notch work and a fantastic finish, to the OP congratulations on a fine looking pistol!

Steve Owens and Otherside like this.
  7. mlea5150

mlea5150 Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2016
    DLC has become my go to finish as well. Congrats on a sweet EMP.

Steve Owens likes this.
  8. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Awesome springer, Great build.

If things goes as planned I hope to get in Steve’s Q by the fall. Fingers crossed

Steve Owens likes this.
  9. KTXdm9

KTXdm9 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2018
    That looks great. The DLC really looks nice on the EMP.

Steve Owens likes this.
  10. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Good stuff! Steve does awesome work! Nice pistol OP!

Steve Owens likes this.
  11. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Wow! Over the top for sure!
    Nice work Steve.

Steve Owens likes this.
  12. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    Congrats and thine is a fine looking Springfield to be sure! Steve is definitely the man!!:thumbs::cheers:

colrhino likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted