My trick for lead fouling.

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by CoalCracker., Aug 3, 2020.

1. CoalCracker.

CoalCracker. Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2020
    What i do. Is use a small rag. Cut to size. And soak it in Kroil. (You can use your preferred bore cleaner). And put it in the bore. Let it sit for awhile. Then i use brass pipe screens and put it on a jag. And push it through the bore. If the fit is not tight enough a small thin patch under the screen helps. This set up i got the idea from the Lewis lead removers. It works better than using copper wool. You can see the lead on the screen. And the screens you can get in bulk from smoke supplies shops. Hope this can help someone.

2tone, NPV, 41 Charlie and 3 others like this.
  2. NPV

NPV Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2017
    Thanks for sharing I will hang up the copper chore boys and give this a go.

3. MStrahan

MStrahan Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Really good idea! I've been using the ole copper chore boys for years and this seems like a much better way to do it.
    Thanks for the tip.

4. CoalCracker.

Jul 20, 2020
    Your all welcome. For wheel guns. I use rubber tubing close to bore size. I put it on the back of the jag and put the screen over the threads. That way you can pull it through.

5. Steve in Allentown

Steve in Allentown Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    I have to plead ignorance and ask for guidance. I have no idea where to get these screens or if they come in various sizes. Can you point me to a source.

6. 2tone

2tone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2018
  7. CoalCracker.

Jul 20, 2020
    Oh and i use the 1 inch ones. I should have mentioned that before.

2tone likes this.
  8. sawman556

sawman556 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2020
    Try Bore Tech Shotgun Blend or Rimfire Blend with bronze brush for lead. CU+2 for copper. C4 for carbon. Eliminator for carbon and copper. Great stuff. No smell. Safe to use. Technology is a thing.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted