My Wife needs a new CCW purse.

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by Mike A, Jan 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    ATTN Lady Addicts we need your help as well.
    Also Addicts Wives & Girl friends ask them guys they have a view point That's very important.

I know this seems like a simple task, but it's not that easy.
    My Wife and Sister have been using their carry purses made by
    Robert K. Smith of Va. for the past 25 years.

I can no longer find any products by Robert K. Smith & fear he is no longer
    around. The name of the purse was the Police Women 45 or PW 45 all leather
    with a pocket in the center. A shoulder strap with Velcro & a snap closing the
    CCW center pocket. The purse was $280.00 all quality leather it looked like
    a high quality purse that did not look like a CCW purse.

Today there is a Plethora of Cheap CCW purses with zippers some locking instead
    of Velcro & a snap keeping the pouch closed. Now as a Man I know about Zippers
    & how they can stick & break leaving me with a situation of yank um down or pizz
    your pants. So with wet pants that can be embarrassing, a stuck zipper being the
    only way to access your pistol can get you killed quickly.

Some of us have Wives & girlfriends & would be hard pressed to put a $ amount on
    their lives. Look at the amount we will pay for a reliable pistol to protect their lives
    so what would we pay for a Custom leather purse to carry that pistol. I think very
    carefully at how quickly I can get to my gun when the situation calls for it to be used.

I need some help in finding a custom leather shop who makes high quality leather
    purses & will not balk at using Velcro instead of a zipper to provides quick access to
    the Pistol.

Sounds easy but here is an example. I called Coronado Leather in Kalafornikica
    to order 2 Satchel/Purses for $450.00 ea + $60.00 for custom work. My question
    was. Will you substitute the Velcro with snap for the zipper? The Salesman I was
    dealing with, said they used to use Velcro instead of zippers but because of Children & Morons they used locking zippers instead. He was sure they would change it for us
    due to the price + the $60.00 alteration fee.

I got an e-mail later that afternoon he said he asked & they said NO. I was really shocked
    the price of the purses + the extra $60.00 each I thought sure they would do what
    the customer wanted. No deal they said.

Now you see that finding a high dollar custom leather purse that is not $25.00 to $150.00
    does not insure that you can get what you want. Well there is my story, & I just can not believe there are no Custom leather builders who will not make what a customer wants & will pay for.

Thanks for reading my post. I appreciate any good info that will lead to a Leather shop
    where I can get my Wife what she deserves.

Mike

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    isialk and WHEELS like this.
  2. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    I know that any off body carry is inferior to a shoulder holster or an IWB holster. However a Woman uses a purse as a tool & to
    have the ability to have quick access to a pistol is a plus.

Taking a Concealed weapon with us out and about is a difficult
    task & one that requires us to be very discrete. Any hint of a weapon will give the bad guys a reason to kill us first then take what they want.

The purses my Wife & sister have been using were designed for
    Police women to carry for undercover work. They are pure genius
    in their design but are no longer serviceable.

WHEELS and wcanterbury like this.

3. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Concerning zippers. I have found that some paraffin wax helps zippers to slide smoothly and reliably. Always works well on sleeping bags.

4. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    I know and agree Sonny this is very true. I just guess I have lived too long, & tend to believe in Murphy's Law. If it can fail, it will fail at the most critical time when you need it most.

Also what they have said they want & feel most comfortable with. It just seems that if Velcro was trusted to provide a fast easy almost fail proof way to both secure your gun, yet allow fast easy access. Well this zipper business is just more Political Correctness gone mad.

For over 25 tears Two very dear to my heart women have cared enough about their lives, & the lives of their families to carry guns. They both chose Ruger Speed Sixes in 357 magnum & take the time to practice with Speed loaders & their purses.

I just believe them when they say that zippers give them pause, & they believe that Velcro is what they want & need. I have not tried to do more than help them find what they feel they need.
    I'm not going to start caring a purse anytime soon LOL :confused:

5. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    I'm shocked about Coronado Leather refusing to work with you. I was about to recommend them to you because of their quality. I got tired of carrying my wife's purse and bought a Maxpedition bag that holds more and looks ok on either of us.

Mike A likes this.
  6. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Mike , Mrs Tac told me the same thing , then took me shopping,
    Upon showing me her choice ,she exclaimed “ look it has a great center pocket “ .
    624BD6DE-31E2-4A90-9A8F-CD1602EEC37F.jpeg
    There went the gun fund . Be careful,very careful. :bang:

Dub, FWoo45 and Mike Meints like this.
  7. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    I have a local guy I can ask for you if you would like me to.
    Let me know if you've found anything yet or not.
    He might want to see one of the old ones to try to duplicate it.
    You could even ask Paul from warbird leather.
    I don't know that he does purses but it's worth asking.

FWoo45 likes this.
  8. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    She's a keeper Tac, take good care of her.

Please do wheels I can take some pics of the old purses if he needs them.

tac45 and WHEELS like this.
  9. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    After 53 yrs it’s cheeper to keep her, I guess :eek1:

Dub likes this.
  10. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
  11. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    They really stunned me as well. They look like they produce a fine product. They have a life time Warranty with a trade in policy that gives you 50% off on a trade in for a new product.

Why get stuck on exchanging Velcro for a Zipper? Do they not understand how strong Velcro is? I have seen Racing Cars with
    Velcro holding fenders on the cars. Children & Morons can get into Velcro but not into zippers :confused: the gun will fall out of Velcro but not with a zipper.

Well I guess they have so much business they can just throw away a $1020.00 order WOW! Very sad that their Lawyers can run the business & make decisions based on a few possible senarios that many never happen.

FWoo45 and tac45 like this.
  12. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    Well my neck is hurting from all the searching I have been doing. I found this URL below that has so many Custom Holster makers I would not have believed it could be so.

Any way I had been searching all manor of Purses for women & came back with damn few. It's hard to believe that if you are a man looking for a holster, any holster there are dozens of holster makers. If you are a Woman looking for a High quality leather purse, well good luck toots we got a few cheapies to match your shoe collection.

I wish that someone would educate me as to just why it's not profitable to offer Women a high quality purse that they can offer some input into how they want it made. Almost every holster maker will do what ever you want done to your holster to make you happy.

I am about to give up & suggest that Women just get men's clothes & carry their guns the way men do. In this Unisex world that makes more sense than trying to understand why.

https://pistolsmith.com/holsters-belts/21725-compiled-list-holster-makers.html

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Heretical45 likes this.
  13. Heretical45

Heretical45 Lurker 4 life

Nov 3, 2011
    My wife is actually kicking around the idea of making custom CCW purses as most of the ones she has had have either not met her aesthetic (retro, with a love of florals) or her size requirements. She is picky about sizes. I will let you all know how it goes.

She has been sewing her own purses for awhile now, even to the point she is going to start selling them. I will let you all know how it goes.

Btw if you think guns are expensive... try sewing machines!

14. Tactical Rico

Tactical Rico Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2016
    I want to see if I can bring this thread back up for current discussion....I too am looking for a CCW purse for the wife. Please advise if any of you have located a manufacturer to make a quality leather purse with CCW pocket (and yes, velcro secured opening).....Thanks, TR

15. AGENT P

AGENT P 1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART

Jun 24, 2019
  16. Leatherguy

Leatherguy Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2019
    What do you need?

17. AGENT P

AGENT P 1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART

Jun 24, 2019
    I don't need anything @Mike A needs a purse.
    Do you make such?

18. Leatherguy

Leatherguy Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2019
    I don’t do purses, but I’ve made quite a few holsters to go in purses.

AGENT P likes this.
  19. Mike A

Mar 19, 2017
    I have looked everywhere with no luck. My wife & Sister have been using
    Robert K. Smiths Guardian Leather (Police Women 45 ) carry purse.
    Out of business we think no sign of them. I have been calling & searching
    for well over a year.

Not a cheap tacky purse but a fine leather purse with a center carry
    closed at one end by a single snap & Velcro.
    A purse that looks nothing like a carry purse until you hear RIP, DIP
    & BOOM! So simple and looks nothing like a gun purse.

I will only say this once. There are people who will just kill you &
    take your gun if they see you are armed. Boy or Girl Really!!

Great let me know if she does.

20. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    My only suggestion is buy the purse you were looking at without the extra $60 expense then find a local whom can modify the zipper with Velcro as you request?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted