Rant NC becoming leftist?

Discussion in 'Political Outhouse' started by CallmeIsh, Nov 14, 2018.

1. CallmeIsh

CallmeIsh Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Thinking about relocating the family to North Carolina. We’re looking into Raleigh because we have two little ones and the schools seems pretty good. Property taxes are also so much cheaper than here in NJ. My concern is that NC seems to be pretty liberal and I worry about what the gun laws will look like in a couple years. So far they’ve managed to fight mag bans and red flag laws but can that change very soon? I’m surprised they still have a NJ style permit system for handguns.

2. gaines67

gaines67 Member

May 8, 2017
    I am a N.C. resident with many pistols and long guns as well as a CCW permit. Acquiring guns is very simple and straightforward. Concealed carry requires an 8 hour class and range qualification, both of which are a bit of a joke. If you can hit the broad side of a barn you can qualify. Plenty of indoor and outdoor ranges in the Raleigh area. I can’t speak to the political environment per se, but firearm ownership and use are no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. SDM

SDM Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2011
    I wouldn't move to Raleigh....I've lived here my whole life and I am seriously thinking about moving elsewhere. Housing prices have shot up, traffic is terrible, and there are other things but I'll let others touch base on that if they wish....as far as guns are concerned you'll be fine. NC in general is gun friendly.

4. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    @gaines67 how do you feel about the concealed carry tests being a joke? Not to derail the thread but I’m curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. gaines67

gaines67 Member

May 8, 2017
    A large portion of the classroom was spent on Safety (4 rules of gun safety), etc. and on how to load a firearm, aim using iron sights-really basic stuff. If your first exposure to handguns is learning how to rack the slide in a CCW class, I think it’s a problem. The range qualifying was frankly ridiculous:

“In order to pass the shooting qualification you will shoot 10 rounds from a distance of 5 yards, 10 rounds from a distance of 7 yards, and 10 rounds from a distance of 10 yards. You will pass if you hit 70%, which is 21 rounds hitting the target.”

Two people in my class of 15 did not qualify. Some of their rounds did not strike the giant cardboard surrounding the paper target. Several others barely passed with atrocious shooting. I’m not claiming to be Jerry Miculek, but the fact that there are NC residents with CCW permits who can’t shoot worth a damn and likely do no other training is scary. If you have ever been to a public range you know what I mean.

simonp likes this.
  6. Alexy

Alexy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2016
    North Carolina is pretty gun friendly and so is the state government. Mostly republican and republicans are almost always pro 2A.

It's up to you friend, but I wouldn't personally mind moving there. It's a lot better than NJ.

7. Chief1297

Chief1297 Active Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Raleigh is infested...seriously

8. gaines67

gaines67 Member

May 8, 2017
    Yes. I can’t understand why everyone can’t think exactly the way I do.

9. Chief1297

Chief1297 Active Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I can deal with folks thinking differently, what I cant deal with is folks calling me a racist (which means nothing to me any longer) for not thinking like they do or telling me I WILL believe what they do or else. You know, typical progressive ideology...That, I cant deal with and wont...

xerts1191 likes this.