1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a new 1911. My price range will be around $800.00 dollars for this one.
I have had these
Tisas GI style The original GI style got old
Springfield Range Officer Didn't like the sights
ATI FX M1911 GI Commander, liked it but had to sell for it for bills.

I have this new job, going well & been saving & for my birthday this year I would like to get a nice, reliable 1911. I want a 70 series, no ambi safety, no full length guide rod.
I want a nice beaver tail. Extended slide stop & extended safety, with flat mainspring housing. I want it in a 5" standard original 1911 style, "NO" tactical rail BS.
So if anyone can give me some suggestions on this please let me know. I am also will to hear about 1911 from $500 up to $800 dollars. What I don't spend on the pistol I will get ammo. I also don't want anything in stainless or nickle either.

Thanks to all for every suggestion given I will take a list & the one with the most vote out of 10 different 1911 will be the purchase.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
In that price range you are probably looking at Ruger or Remington.

With some searching, you could probably find a Sig on sale near that price.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Remington is currently doing rebates, so that's something to consider. There's also Rock Island.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Does anybody besides Sig do an extended slide stop?

If you are willing to go stainless and without extended slide stop, I would take a look as S&W E Series. Those slide serrations and the external extractor are not traditional though. It also might have a full length guide rod, cannot remember for sure.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remington forgot about them, but I have heard of late Remington's quality has been real bad. I have shot a Sig & most of there 1911 that I have seen have a rail which I don't like.
Also what are some thoughts on a 9 mm 1911

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
If you look hard you might find a Colt Competition for about that price. I picked up a 9mm for just under that. They now come in 9mm, 45acp and 38 super i believe. Black and stainless models. I'm not sure if theyre 70 or 80 series. Look them up they're very nice and right at your budget, street price.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/Colt-Competition-Pistol

·
9,776 Posts
Sorry just looked them up they are 80 series. I guess ignore my previous recommendation but they are very nice pistols.

·
9,776 Posts
Remington forgot about them, but I have heard of late Remington's quality has been real bad. I have shot a Sig & most of there 1911 that I have seen have a rail which I don't like.
Also what are some thoughts on a 9 mm 1911
I love shooting 9mm it's a lot of fun fairly cheap. I don't reload so it helps.

·
NRA Endowment member
3,145 Posts
FWIW: I don't personally have anything bad to say about 80 vs 70 style 1911 trigger systems. I own both types and having worked the fireing systems to my likening as I believe any owner should do or have done by qualified pistol smiths is what makes the gun a great shooter. When I'm looking for a 1911 I don't let the fireing safety system style come into play if the gun is what I'm in the market for. Also I don't think that sights should be a big factor as there are so many after market variations available to make it what you like and are comfortable with. Given you requirements as stated you should have no trouble finding something in your price range. New is nice and shines for a while but, as soon as it's fired it no longer new. I generally like to take advantage of a good used and cared for weapon and let someone else pay the new retail dollars.

Reactions: Raven312
1 - 13 of 13 Posts