1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a Colt SXE LW commander in 9mm. New at a LGS. Only thing wrong that I can find is pushing down on barrel hood there is a considerable amount of downward movement. I have zero experience with this type of problem. I'm really wanting this gun but don't know if this is one I should walk away from? If I'm correct this movement while in battery is poor barrel to slide fit ? I want the gun for mostly a range toy and occasional carry piece. I posted this same question on the other 1911 forum as well as here because I know not everybody follows both and I'm really needing as much advise as I can get on this one. The store also has a 9mm all steel commander in blue and the barrel doesn't move when pushing down on it. I'd rather have the LW model but not if it means an immediate trip back to Colt for repairs.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I have no good advice. But I agree with the above post's. I had an sr1911 that has so much downward movement that it not only was felt but seen with the naked eye. I thought this was the norm with production guns.

David

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Probably mentioned this on another forum and although mine I got several months ago is great, Colt is no longer making that model, so it comes down to do you really want it and is the price good. If so you may want to buy it then send it back to Colt and have them fix the problem. Picture time on mine with grips I got off the Colt website back when they sold them on their website. The fit and finish on mine is very nice by the way.

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Like Dakota said, if you want a colt XSE LW commander in 9mm, get this one and send back to Colt. It's not all right the barrel move up and down like that. Could be many things, separately or all at once. It should be firm when locked up. Nice pistol, however. I would probably get that, if price is right, Colt will repair or replace. Unless their CS has gotten axed here lately.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for your input. I walked away from the XSE and bought the blue steel 9mm Commander today after going back and giving both another looksy. The salesman even brought out a couple of stainless government models in 9mm he had in the back. Their nice and both locked up good and tight but I chose the blue Commander. My favorite flavor. Thanks again for all the responses.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here ya go. A bad cell phone pic is all I can manage. I don't think my picture can show just how nice these stock grips are. I've got several pairs of grips laying around to choose from but I think for now I'm going to go with the ones it came with. Can't wait to get this baby to the range this weekend.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts