close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need Addicts opinions

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Cw1023, Nov 14, 2017 at 3:38 AM.

1. Cw1023

Cw1023 Active Member

Dec 3, 2016
    I'm finding myself torn on my next purchase. I've been looking forward to sending my RO Compact to Nighthawk for a while, and with the upcoming tax check, this is doable.

I'm also really liking the idea of buying a TRP operator and mounting a light for home defense.

I definitely want the ultimate carry gun, but also have had no issues with the compact to date, it hasn't failed and is laser accurate with HST's.

I'm sure most of you have dealt with the same scenario, throw some opinions out there.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2015
    The ultimate carry gun has seen many iterations for me I'm still not sure what it is.

I haven't received a "tax check" in many years. They always want more after I've given them all I got. Good luck.

3. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 14, 2016
    Tough question. I do believe a CCO is a damn fine carry choice.

zipper046, blitz45, 45caldude and 2 others like this.
  4. cghelton

cghelton Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 8, 2017
    I have a NH T4 in 9mm and it just disappears IWB. Probably my favorite 1911 to carry that I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sneaky One, 45caldude and Stogies like this.
  5. SCS1911

SCS1911 Failed all therapy Supporting Addict

Oct 5, 2012
    I've chased the "ultimate" carry gun, but have realized there is no such animal, at least for me. I like to have options for carry. Depending on event, weather, attire and how I feel that day determines what I carry.

Good luck in your quest.

6. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 3, 2015
    what do you want NHC to do to the RO? trigger work? cosmetics?

I always like a new gun purchase. I say buy the new gun and then save a bit to have your RO touched up

7. Cw1023

Cw1023 Active Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Checker front strap and undercut trigger guard, tool steel ignition kit, 4 lb trigger, xs big dots, black finish with Nighthawk logo walnut panels. Just a little cheaper than a TRP. Both will happen, can't make my mind up which I want more.

Sneaky One and cgff like this.
  8. 45caldude

45caldude Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2015
    I'd prefer carrying the CCO vs the TRP. So my vote is to get the RO compact worked on. Then I'd get a TRP on the next paycheck, because you're going to end up with both anyways:)

Journeyman1234, Sneaky One and Cw1023 like this.
  9. cghelton

cghelton Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 8, 2017
    I would get the RO touched up first, then get the TRP. You going to carry the TRP? The TRP is a beast to carry. I've carried mine a few times OWB to like the range or around the house when I'm working outside. You definitely know your carrying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cw1023 likes this.
  10. blitz45

blitz45 Member

Nov 6, 2017
    I'm kind of in the same position. My carry alternates between Rock Island CS 3.5" and Remington R1 Enhanced 5". I was looking into sending the R1 to Wilson, but for what I'd end up spending for mostly cosmetic features, it's be 1/3rd (give or take) of the cost of getting something I like better for carry.

Cw1023 likes this.
  11. Usp45ct

Usp45ct Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 24, 2012

Pretty much all of this though for me I have yet to find that illusive UCG. I think it may be an STI Costa VIP in 9mm. We will see.

Unfortunately, the tax comment is also me. Been many moons since I got anything back. I am usually happy if my payments are less than a few custom built 1911s.

I don’t mind paying taxes...I do mind what they go for. When 12,000 dead people get food stamps in my state every month, and the law makers respond by giving themselves a 40% raise on top of the 15% they gave themselves last year...oh, sorry for the mini rant.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 8:58 AM
  12. cgff

cgff Member

Aug 24, 2015
    If you are unsure on sending the RO for Work, as asking here don’t send it,
    When you are 100% sure go for it.
    With the RO compact when you dump a large chunk of cash in it will it be a forever pistol? If you make the mods and decide to sell or trade you just took a major hit?
    Is there any other pistol on the radar for CCW?
    The TRP as others have posted difficult to CCW but doable. Will it scratch the itch?

Another thought?
    Can you parlay the cash for the TRP and the RO compact into the ultimate CCW?

Idea,
    My bump in the night grab and go is a bought on the cheap sig 320 full size with compact grip frame and TLR 1 always mounted always hot with very little tied up in it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 10:35 AM
  13. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    GI CCO is an incredibly fine carry pistol.

Sneaky One likes this.
  14. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    To answer the question , two 1911s are better than one !

Sneaky One likes this.
  15. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 28, 2013
    While new guns are always fun...customizing one that you have truly makes it "yours". Nighthawk Custom Shop is great to work with. I sent them off a Colt Lightweight Commander last year and had it bobtailed, Browning carry cuts, re-finished, and new sights. They did a great job...I've since traded that away for a DW CCO....with that said, I agree, you can't go wrong with a CCO. Mine disappears IWB with a Crossbreed Supertuk or Comp-Tac M-Tac and disappears OWB with a JM Kydex (15deg cant) or a Don Hume OT 721.

Sneaky One likes this.
  16. Cw1023

Cw1023 Active Member

Dec 3, 2016
    The compact is definitely going to Nighthawk as some point, I just made things worse by fondling a TRP this morning. I'll have both, just can not make my mind up on which one first. Thanks for all the input.

Sneaky One likes this.
  17. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    And a hundred 1911s are better than two. For me sometimes I think and plan and sometimes I impulse buy. I am still happy carrying the Colt/Talo Clapp Commander I bought back in 2013. Gun stores with layawake plans of 60 or 90 days are great enablers. I thought about a 6 inch 1911 in 10mm for about a year and got to shoot friends versions from Para (now Remington), DW and Baer. I finally ended up getting a DW Bruin and like it a lot.

[​IMG]

Then a LGS had a fall pre hunting sale where the rather new Ruger SR1911-10 was on sale for $729. That was more an impulse buy. Nice pistol for the money. I have put some stocks on it I bought from shopruger years ago. Ruger called them Delta grips. They were on my Ruger SR1911CMD for a few years but I knew if Ruger ever came out with a 10mm then they would have to live on it.

[​IMG]

So whatever plans I have may change on the next trip to the gun store.

Sneaky One and blitz45 like this.
  18. awp101

awp101 Clean 'em up, green 'em up and start the music Supporting Addict

Jan 12, 2017
    It's nice to meet someone else with the same affliction...

Sneaky One likes this.
  19. blitz45

blitz45 Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Yup, or browsing session. Joining this forum has me looking at 1911's that I never knew existed and opened my eyes to a lot of different builders. All plans I had have gone out of the window within minutes of hitting "register."

awp101, Sneaky One and cgff like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted