Need Advice

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Saludachase, Apr 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Saludachase

Saludachase Ron

Jul 22, 2016
    I am going to buy a Nelson 22 conversation. I am also going to buy a 1911 for the base. Just bought a Springfield Pro. Any suggestions as to which to buy as a base gun.
    I previously had one mounted on a Ruger. Did not have any complaints. Since then I have owned all of the top 3. Wanting to have a nicer base gun 1-2000. Considering a 9mm gold cup. Maybe have JT Timmons do trigger work since we are in the same state.

My question is which base gun to buy or should I just have one built for the 22

2. azngotskills

azngotskills Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Why not just buy a Jem/Caspian/Nighthawk frame and have a gunsmith build that up for you. You would have a better build for $1000-2000 that way IMO

simonp likes this.

3. Pappabear

Pappabear Active Member

Feb 24, 2018
    Tagging for interest.

Saludachase likes this.
  4. Saludachase

Saludachase Ron

Jul 22, 2016
    I had thought about a TRP but the owners manual for Springfield says not compatible with 22 conversions

5. Boatbum101

Boatbum101 Member

Mar 9, 2019
    I found a used SA Milspec for cheap . Replaced all the factory parts with top quality tool steel , installed / fitted a beavertail . Sold off the slide assm'y to lower my costs . Since the barrel is fixed to the frame you don't have to mess with frame rails . If your 'smith isn't a 2700 shooter you might want to get a Bullseye 'smith like Greg Derr , Joe C. , John Hallston to do the work as they know how to do a BE quality trigger .

Saludachase likes this.
  6. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2017
    I have two .22 conversions a Ceiner Platinum and a Kimber (made by Ceiner I believe) and I just put them on top whichever 1911 I want to practice with. I assume the various conversion slides are not compatible with frames that have some sort of firing pin blocking mechanism (series 80, Kimber II series, etc.) IMG_3530.JPG IMG_3507.jpg

FWoo45 likes this.
  7. Combat Weapon Systems

Combat Weapon Systems Gunsmith

Mar 31, 2019
    I would go with the aftermarket frame and slide and have it built the way I wanted. If you buy an expensive base gun thats going to eat up a lot of your budget. And if you send it out for custom work some of those parts will most likely end up being changed out. So you would be paying for the same parts twice. The aftermarket route is the most cost effective way to get the best built product in my opinion.

8. Boatbum101

Boatbum101 Member

Mar 9, 2019
    BTW if you're serious about accuracy stick with the Nelson or Marvel . The older Karts were good too , but parts have dried up . The Ceiner & Kimber are OK for plinking only .

9. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    I second the Caspian frame suggestion. You can order it with as many or as little bells and whistles you want in terms of aesthetics, and to make it more compatible with a .22 conversion. It will also give less headaches in terms of being built to spec.

10. Boatbum101

Boatbum101 Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Caspian's quality has slipped in recent years . Some 'smiths will no longer use them for builds .

11. Pappabear

Pappabear Active Member

Feb 24, 2018
    I would guess the reason the TRP is not a good hoist is they are so mofoing tight. Just a guess but they be tight tite tight.

PB

12. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Get a Caspian/JEM frame and build as a dedicated Nelson gun.
    I set mine up with identical controls, trigger weight (2#) as my “real” 1911’s.
    I have both optic and iron sight slides.
    Shoots lights out- just wish I did too....

30ECDEEA-1DD7-471B-A255-93A49EC53707.jpeg

FWoo45 likes this.
  13. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    9004668A-33BB-4F4B-870D-FDC11BBFC514.jpeg As stated above, have a dedicated frame built for your Nelson. I had John Vincent at Hallston Custom build mine on a Foster frame. Absolutely phenomenal gun. 2.25 pound trigger with a short roll. Everyone who shoots it is impressed.

cghelton and FWoo45 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted