close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need an ambi-safety STAT!

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Bullitt01, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Bullitt01

Bullitt01 Member

Aug 26, 2011
    I have a problem on my hands, my left hand in particular. See, I have a Sig Sauer 1911 with the standard single-sided safety. However, I'm left handed... I desperately want to make this my everyday carry gun because it beats my Glock 22 to death in the accuracy and ergonomics departments. When I picked up the gun I planned on having an ambi-safety installed by Sig and my problems would be solved. However, after talking with the Sig custom shop, it has come to my attention that they only have stainless ambi-safeties available for installation.... My gun is a black nitron finish 1911 :frusty:... At first I thought I just get it refinished but why waste the money? I've been looking online and found a Wilson Combat ambi-safety in a blued finish that a local gunsmith will install for a total that would be less than if I went through Sig, would that work? Any information would be a HUGE help, thanks in advance.
    -Semper Fidelis

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Yep, that'll work. The color might not be an exact match though.

3. Bullitt01

Bullitt01 Member

Aug 26, 2011
    I was thinking the same thing, but its better than being obviously the wrong finish. How do the Wilson Combat and/or Ed Brown ambi-safeties hold up?

EDIT: Thanks for the quick response!

4. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    The Wilson would be a better ambi, though I prefer the brown single.

Knedrgr tried a brown, but flexed too much, so he went with a Wilson.

5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    That's odd.. They replaced the black ambi on my Blackwater.. However.. The SID tactical ambi leaves a lot to be desired anyhow.. Go with a EB.. Ron

6. Bullitt01

Bullitt01 Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Thanks for the advice gentlemen, at the very least I am now satisfied with the knowledge that they would both work on my Sig. And yeah Kokopelli, I was pretty STUPIFIED when the Sig guy told me they would only install a stainless safety....:mad2:

7. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    I was terribly unimpressed with the SIG tactical ambi.. It just looked cheesy. It sheared off at the cross-pin on third range trip with it.. Bad JUJU.. Ron

8. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Wilson is better than the EB. The pin diameter is more in spec and thicker than the EB. My EB flexed way too much and had to go back to Brownells.

9. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    I've heard good things about Wilson's new Bulletproof ambi safety. :thumb:

Andy

10. Bullitt01

Bullitt01 Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Wilson it is, on its way now. :biggrin1:

11. Bullitt01

Bullitt01 Member

Aug 26, 2011
    NEED SOME INTEL... I've put off the installation of my Wilson Combat ambi-safety on my Sig 1911 Nitron for some time now, and an opportunity recently fell into my lap to have it installed free of charge. My cousin, who had recently purchased his first 1911 (a used Springfield Loaded model with night sights for $650!!! :eek:) and tends to do some fairly extensive work on his own firearms, came into town and stopped by for the weekend. When discussing our new 1911's, he offered to install my safety for me since I lacked the knowhow to do so and he didn't want to see me pay for said labor. After several attempts to install, the new Wilson safety would simply not allow positive operation of the safety mechanism due to the fact that it appeared as though the connecting rod between the left and right-side safeties was a hair short of reaching the other end and thus would not seat properly in order to complete the install and allow the safety to operate. My cousin compared my stock safety to the Wilson part and sure enough, the connecting rod on my stock safety appears just a bit longer... Could this truly be the issue? Is my cousin the problem here? Has anyone performed a similar installation on a SIG 1911 with better results? Any input is encouraged, thanks in advance!
    Semper Fi

12. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Take the WC ambi out of the gun, and attach both sides together, outside of the gun, and compare the length of the shaft to the wide of the gun's frame. You can hold it over the top of the tangs for some basic comparison. If it looks too long, then you can file down the tongue-grove connector part for a proper fit.

My guess is that the tongue-grove connection are too tight and will need some minor fitting for them to completely connect and secure into place. Again, you can see this when you test fit them outside of the frame. If so, then get a black sharpie and mark up the tongue part, and reconnect the grove part. This will tell you where the area to file down.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted