Need an experts opinion on the following 1911s before I purchase...Help!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Dcrgolfer, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Dcrgolfer

Dcrgolfer New Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Great buying guide, read from cover to cover. Helps and causes more decision difficulties. I need an expert opinion to help me finalize my decision. I have been renting various 1911s, S&W SW 1911, Remmington R1, Ruger Sr1911, Sig GSR 9, Springfield 1911. My objectives are 1) must be made in USA, 2) must be between $650 - $1000, + or - $100. My choices re as follows...#1 Ruger SR1911, #2 S&W SW1911, #3 Sig Sauer GSR 1911 and then over my budget, a Kimberly Custom. I prefer the stainless steel finish, and all steel. The Sig Sauer is steel slide & alloy frame. I prefer the weight of an all steel variety. Can any of the non-NGs give me any advice or your solicited opinion. I see shy this site is called 1911addicts....we shot 9mm's for out first 2 range visits as a starting point. After shooting the 1911 45acp....holy crap...what a great gun. Why would anyone shoot anything else...Thanks in advance for any input the experts can provide in he ing me choose my first gun. Why not start with the best and start collecting 1911s.

2. grainfed

grainfed Active Member

Aug 22, 2011
    You will get opinions all over the board. And they will be valid as we all have our favorites. Within your price range, MY opinion would be the SA Mil-Spec with a NM prefix serial #. Mine was around $650 new at Cabelas. SA's CS is super and at that price point you can spend funds on many upgrades. I have a 3" S&W Pro and will say that I'm convinced external extractors are good to go in my book. I've no interest in a Ruger. I have 3 Sigs but they are P models so I have no experience with their 1911 platform. Kimbers, never heard of 'em but Gress seems to have found one in a 3" that looks awful nice. Colts are in the $750 to $850 range new here. I have some Baers but now you're in the $1500 to $2000 range. With what I have owned and shot over the years, the SA Mil stands out at the top of the list FOR THE MONEY and I think that would be a great place to start, because it WILL be a start. You have been infected. Good luck with your search........................

tw

3. E39

E39 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 15, 2011
    I am not an expert. But I've been where you're at. I talked to some folks before I knew of this forum and lucked out with my first choice. Also started with poly 9mm rentals but once I held a 1911 it was all over (or just beginning).

4. Ditto_95

Ditto_95 Why oh why? Supporting Addict

Nov 5, 2011
    SA or colt would be my choices. Both hold value well and you can expect decent quality.
    I have had both and think the SA was probably the better built as it relates to quality and appearance.
    Although I would never turn my nose up at a Colt either.

What is your purpose? Target, Concealed carry or just a trail gun?

5. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    I would echo the recommendations of SA and Colt, but depending on your budget and what you want to do with the gun the SA GI or MilSpec is a great platform to start with and will save you a few hundred over a Colt.

Just my $0.02

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  6. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I would. For the money you can get a 1911 that is better put together IMO.

7. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    For example...?

8. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    :rofl2:

9. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    For the range I'd get a Springfield range officer over the mil spec. Better fit and more accurate. I've seen them go for $750 on average. And it gives you a great platform to upgrade. They're built on the same production line as their TRP (more expensive bc more bells and whistles) which has a terrific reputation and are very reliable. Springfield as a company is also a pleasure to deal with and you get a lifetime warranty. If you don't like the target sights, then look for a loaded model with NM serial number prefix.

I'd avoid Kimber. I've just heard way too many horror stories.

No experience with the Ruger.

10. Dcrgolfer

Dcrgolfer New Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Purpose is Range and Personal protection/home defense. Springfields are mode in Brazil and Imbell in USA. I want a pistol made 100% in the USA. Smith & Wesson SW1911, and the new Ruger SR1911 are great, accurate 1911s. What are your thoughts on these.

11. jblackfish

jblackfish Member

Nov 30, 2011
  12. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    I'm a springfield fan myself, but the op said he wanted it to be american made. I would search for a sr1911. but I hear they're made of unobtanium.

13. bdavis385

bdavis385 New Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Do any of those companies us US made steel? What about the pins, the screws, the small parts -- all US made. Do you use the same criteria for all you electronic purchases? Not that I have an issue, I just get tired of these posts when the people only seem to care about American guns and cars.

14. Ditto_95

Ditto_95 Why oh why? Supporting Addict

Nov 5, 2011
    Of course, why buy American when you can buy off shore and kill American jobs.:mad2:

15. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Actually,.....MANY of the "big name" 1911 manufacturers use raw forgings from South Korea!

16. Outlaw450

Outlaw450 Member

Oct 29, 2011
    I have yet to hear a bad review for a sr1911 from anyone that owns one. I also like the Smith and sigs but can't get use to the EE on them. If your interested in a kimber sportsman den in Shelby would be worth giving a call they can probably get ya one in your price range. I gave up looking for an sr1911 and got a kimber custom II target from them for under $800. I did finally see an sr1911 there in early December but last time I was there they were out again.

17. Combat Commander

Combat Commander Custom Kydex

Sep 19, 2011
    Alright who ?

18. Combat Commander

Sep 19, 2011
    Colt
    Springfield Armory
    Sig
    S&W

I've had good luck them.

19. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    I may be wrong, but DW, Nighthawk, and some others are rumored to use Remsport forgings.

20. Combat Commander

Sep 19, 2011
    I can believe DW but, I thought Nighthawk gets there stuff from the same place Wilson does.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted